Notices

Quitting alcohol and insomnia?

Old 04-29-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting alcohol and insomnia?

Hello everyone,
I just joined this group today, because I recently quit drinking alcohol for the first time after 14 years. I was drinking heavily every night for the past 9 years. It's been 5 weeks since I had my last drink, and I can't sleep. I've read this is normal the first few days to couple of weeks, but it's been over a month, and I still can't sleep for more than a couple of hours. My mind races and worries too much that I have to be to the point of exhaustion to be able to sleep, but I consider that having to pass out in order to sleep, like I was doing with alcohol. For example, I've only had a total of 8 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours. Is it normal to experience insomnia for this long after quitting? Will it get better, or is this too long to be caused by quitting still?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It isn't alcohol withdrawal per se, but it's because we used alcohol to fall asleep for so many years, now we have to learn how to quiet our minds without alcohol.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be too concerned yet. I am at 8 weeks and my sleep is still improving. Good job on 5 weeks!
Old 04-29-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Nina! Congratulations on 5 weeks.

It took me a good month plus to get into a regular sleeping pattern. I think it's normal, but if your concerned, maybe speak with your Doctor.

Hope you get some rest soon. I know it's difficult to function properly without decent sleep. Can you sneak in a cat nap? Might help you get through the day better.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes it gets better my friend
Old 04-29-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a little over 2 months sober and I'm just beginning to sleep straight through the night. The days that I get exercise I sleep the best.

Don't worry, it will get better.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

I've had brutal insomnia since quitting, especially in the first 2 months. I just try to keep a good attitude about it, stay patient while it improves with time, sleep when I can and don't sweat it when I can't. Sure beats being drunk anyway.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Nina

D
Old 01-14-2021, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My insomnia started before I quit but was tapering down my consumption. My pattern is I have poor sleep one night. Sometimes no sleep at all. Then I sleep okay the next night because I am exhausted. I think it is pretty normal when you quit. 2 more days and I am one month alcohol free. My bigger concern is that I have persistent dizziness. Just had an MRI and awaiting the results. It's very disconcerting.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the results will help identify the problem CBS

D
Old 01-14-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post
My insomnia started before I quit but was tapering down my consumption. My pattern is I have poor sleep one night. Sometimes no sleep at all. Then I sleep okay the next night because I am exhausted. I think it is pretty normal when you quit. 2 more days and I am one month alcohol free. My bigger concern is that I have persistent dizziness. Just had an MRI and awaiting the results. It's very disconcerting.
Please let me know how this goes as I’m 17 days in and I also have persistent and sometimes severe dizziness. I don’t feel unwell but I’m very unsteady and even when I lay down I feel like I’m moving. It is extremely disconcerting!