Notices

Think I am over the Detox Withdrawal Hump

Old 04-29-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think I am over the Detox Withdrawal Hump

I have to admit, I have quit alcohol before and was sober for months. My error was thinking I was now "normal" and can have one drink......NOT.

The last time I quit I did have withdrawal symptoms. They were mild, only a headache and for a day. Yesterday was my day 2 and it was much worse this time. During the day my headache escalated from a tension in my neck to near migraine level pain going from behind my eyes to my neck. As well my tinnitus, which I normally have anyways was really annoying.

Last night I went to bed figuring I would be dealing with this again today. I woke today with the headache practically gone and the ringing in my ears is still there but at my normal. Later today I will be 72 hours into recovery and I am hoping I am past the worst of my physical symptoms.

This morning I thought to myself I never want to forget how that felt yesterday and this is a good tool to remember when I think I can have just one drink. It is just not worth it.

Drinking alcohol is not an option for me.

Pianoman
Old 04-29-2017, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling better pianoman

D
Old 04-29-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey piano- you and I are going to be buds I know it. We have have the same sobriety date, you know.
I'm glad you're feeling better!

I've been struggling with the thought of "down the road, am I going to have a drink here and there. When I'm better?" So thank you for this post and reminding me that it will only start the cycle over again. Deep down I know that, but I think it helps to hear it from other people.

Yesterday morning I felt great, and shakiness kicked in around 3 P.M. (used to be beer time). I feel a little blue today (no particular reason, I figure it's all apart of the process) but other than that I don't have any other symptoms. Went for a walk this morning, went grocery shopping and was back home before 8 AM. WOW! I wouldn't have even been out of bed by 8AM if I had drank the night before. My kids would be up, tearing up the house and I would be hungover, dreading the day.

Now I'm sitting here drinking some herbal tea (instead of a beer to try and rid the hangover), getting ready to go watch my boys play baseball.

Despite my sort of "off" melancholy feeling, I feel like it's going to be a pretty good day. I hope it is for you too.

Sorry for rambling. ha.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Thanks Pman- I romanticed drinking again, that's how I lost my sobriety a few years ago. I thought I could control it. We're all the same. Thanks for reminding us to never do it!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Support PM
Old 04-29-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you're thinking through it PM & Exhausted. I too relapsed so many times after months of sobriety. My AV began telling me that if I was able to not drink for as long as I did, I could control it again. Never happened! Before I knew it, I was headed right back down the same hole.

Keep going...we can do this!
Old 04-29-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just like the fact that the more days that go by...the less gloom and doom I feel. For once..I haven't woken up in a panic in the middle of the night. I have a LOT of hard work in front of me. I think many drinkers have a bit of trauma in their background. The key to me is sorting out what I can fix. Owning up to my part ..and also recognizing that some of what has happened was totally out of my control. It is learning to release the butt ugly bad lingering thoughts in my head. They come out periodically and for now I have to let them pass by. Not drinking is my number one priority. The rest I will have to sort out later. I think maybe we all have this in common. Thank GOD for SR.

One more thing I learned is to let myself FEEL! Cry when I need to. Be happy when I can. I don't want any more guilt and remorse. But happy and sad can stay. I am glad you are having a good day PianoMan!
Old 04-29-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there Pianoman. As you know, it will get better soon.

I am about two months ahead of you and that first week now seems like a distant memory. However, I don't want to forget how miserable it was. I think I will write some things down to remind me when my AV tries to gloss over those days. I will never go through that again.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks all. Reading your articles on line make me realize that thinking I can return and have just a few drinks is not going to happen. 10 days in and feeling better. Like you have mentioned now getting things done instead of getting drunk. Enjoying more family time that is not foggy the next day. Will be online reading more. Thanks all.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're feeling better! My WD was a little more drastic, and I had just posted how frustrated I was that almost 10 days into sobriety I STILL felt like crap. But keep in mind, feeling kind of crappy is better than the guilt and remorse of being drunk...again. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't forget that withdrawal tends to get worse each time. Something to keep in your mind when you get a craving.