Notices

Alone

Old 04-28-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alone

A year ago I began a relationship with a man that is a recovering heroin addict. He has 2 years of sobriety and lives a honest life. He is active in his recovery and this is how he lives his life and the only way.
From the moment we began talking he was 100% truthful with me about his addiction and the dark roads it took him down. When I began talking to him I never planned on falling deeply in love but I did. Although I do not struggle with addiction coincidentally I have my degree in criminal justice and previously worked jobs that were related to addiction.
Before I made the decision to commit to being in a relationship with him I spent a lot of time thinking about the challenges we will face as a couple and the risks that come with dating someone in recovery. I am not naive when it comes to the reality that relapse could happen. With all of this being said I chose to pursue this relationship with this man and we plan on building a future together.
Out of all the challenges I knew we may face together one that I did not prepare myself for was being entirely cut off from my entire family and life long friends...friendships with 20+ years . I was open and honest about my boyfriends recovery and past and they have wanted nothing more than for me to break up with him . The first few months my relationships with them were okay snd we just didn't really discuss him. As the months passed I would hear less from my friends and family and now 6 months later I have been completely cut off from everyone. I have reached out to my friends , made phone calls, texted, and no one will even talk to me. I'm angry, hurt, and cannot believe this is how they are acting . I never thought that people that were my best friends were so close minded, shallow , and judgmental . I'm torn on where to go from here. My boyfriend is understanding but I know it hurts him at the same time.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated .
Old 04-28-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sorry for what brings you here. And sorry, I have no advice. Just a welcome.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why do you feel this is? Be honest.

Is it b/c he is an addict. Or is there some other reason? Have you asked them?

I too am sorry for what brings you here, but glad you are here.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am really sorry you are going through this. It just bugs me because you have no control of the things you do in the past, only things done in the present or future.

It is kind of like the guy who gets out of jail and then nobody will hire him because he has a criminal record. Then society wonders why we have repeat offenders.

Anyways, I am off my soapbox. Welcome to SR, glad you are here.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you
Old 04-28-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am wondering why your SO's are not in the picture. Is it b/c they know of your b/f's history? All I know about my life is my thoughts often say more about me than the people I am thinking about- and absolutely no judgements, just am wondering.
Either way- it still hurts. What is done, is done. The past cannot be changed, but today is the moment - always of our lives- with a thought for future planning. I am happy for you being in a strong r/ship, your fella sounds okay to me.
Empathy and support to you.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can understand where things get murky with dating an addict. I don' agree with it. We have a family member who married someone she met at a correctional facility and was a war vet and addicted to opiates. They made it work, have two beautiful daughters and are doing fantastic. Family and extended family accepts him unconditionally. They were with us over the 4th of July and other than him freaking out at the city's fireworks, because of the war, he was a stand up guy. I don't have any advice, just sharing my story.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wonder what is it that your family/friends have against this man? Have you talked things through with them at the outset of your relationship? I'm sorry that this is happening to you. Sometimes we have to make really hard decisions in life and this sounds like a tough one for you. I hope things turn out well.