Notices

Feeling quite afraid

Old 04-28-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling quite afraid

While I've always suffered with anxiety, what I'm experiencing now can only be described as utter fear.

Although my symptoms aren't too bad, they're unpleasant but manageable, this overwhelming sense of dread has taken over.

I'm being good to myself and I don't have any desire to drink, just to make it through this awful, awful day.

Tea soon, need to keep drinking water. Funny how I keep forgetting to drink now there's no alcohol involved.

Last edited by Hitch; 04-28-2017 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-28-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have felt that anxiety, the impending doom and dread-filled fear after quitting on several occasions. Hang in there and be kind to yourself today. This will pass!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Maybe see a dr? Mine was so bad I had to get medication for it and feel a lot better now.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unfortunately living in the UK tapering off is the go to method for alcohol withdrawal, generally medication is given out in an emergency, and I'm unable to get an appointment until next Thursday regardless.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

i have problems with fear also

i know that the opposite of fear is faith

although actually applying it in my daily life is quite another thing
Old 04-28-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
under new management

one of my 'go to' methods for anxiety is to take a mental inventory of exactly what is, in that very moment.

am I safe? am I in imminent danger? am I breathing? very important that one, a few slow, deep, intentional breaths can be calming.

just a few reality checks to help ground me. I repeat this as much as is necessary.

(((Hitch)))
Old 04-28-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are lots of in-the-moment anxiety busters.

What worked the best for me was quick intense exercise - so squats, jumping jacks, pushups, running in place, sit-ups. Just for a minute or two. Box breathing helps too, you can Google that one (sometimes called 4-7-8 breathing.) These get me focused back in my body at the moment and keep my thoughts from getting away from me.

You're in the first couple days, right? Maybe take it easy on the exercise though - might get your heart rate up too much. A walk outdoors is good. Intense exercise was really helpful for me after I made it through the initial detox period.

You're going to make it. Just remember it passes, you are healing. You can go to Emergency if it gets too bad - don't ignore actual physical distress.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Are you tapering ?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hitch, it's fairly normal to have difficulties with anxiety in early recovery. I remember feeling like I wasn't even on solid ground. It should get better as time goes by, and if not, there are many non-medicinal ways to deal with anxiety.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Hitch, what you are experiencing is very common. I went through the same damn things. Just constantly remind yourself that it is an irrational fear and is caused by the alcohol withdrawal. The world is not going to end today, I assure you (but it may feel like it). Just keep going day to day without drinking alcohol. Everything levels out. Good job.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Having anxiety here too. I have it even when I drink and have been to the doctor about it in the past. Biminiblue mention 4-7-8 breathing and I recommend it. It sounds rather simple and doesn't seem like it would work but IT DOES.

Inhale through the nose 4 seconds.
Hold breath for 7 seconds.
Exhale through mouth for 8 seconds.
Repeat once.

The reason it works is because it slows your heart rate and gives you something else to focus on.

Hang in there. This too shall pass!
Old 04-28-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have a lot of anxiety too. Although I have a medication for it (Gabapentin), some other things that help me are chamomile tea, tulsi, deep breathing and meditation.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posting here helped me a lot in those early days Hitch - keep posting

D
Old 04-28-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, thanks for all the advice.

I'm feeling a whole bunch better now, I did some breathing exercises and went for a walk and had some food. I think my body can't believe I just provided it with actual nutrients instead of beer and maybe some chips at 3am.

Your words really mean a lot to me, although lots of people know I have a problem, I think they just imagine it as "just stop pouring that liquid down your throat". It's nice to speak to people who know its a whole bunch harder than that.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Anxiety sucks
Old 04-28-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It certainly is a tricky one to manage, ive suffered with anxiety all of my adult life, drink was my solution until it got hold of me and messed me up. Now I really have to work my recovery when I feel anxiety coming on, breathing exercises is fabby, also meditation helps me lots too, there is loads of guided mediations on you tube which may help you.

Anxiety normally comes from fear, the challenge in recovery is to sit with it, question it and work out what the root cause is. Talking therapy is good for this, but also writing it all down. Im sure there is loads of worksheets and resources online which can help you figure stuff out.

If its also anxiety about whats to come, really try and keep yourself in the moment too, in the day and not project too far ahead into the future, that definately helps me too.

You are doing really well x You are safe and you are loved x This too shall pass x

Much love x