Notices

Firing someone -AV loving it!

Old 04-28-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Firing someone -AV loving it!

Firing someone today. I have never done this. I am so nervous and frazzled. I know that it is the right thing to do but it's still hard.

AV is having a great time with this but I will not give in. What would a drink accomplish? NOTHING!

I'm not falling in this trap. This isn't my fault. This person brought all this to themselves...

A glass of raunchy red wine sounds great, but in reality it's not.

Please help and tell me it's not my fault. I feel so bad about the firing but it's been a whole year that I have been supervising this person and their performance is definitely subpar. I have posted about it here before.

The meeting is in 4 hours and my hands and feet are sweaty and I couldn't sleep. AV keeps yelling...

No!!!! Not worth it!
Old 04-28-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It seems you are on the right track. Just read what you wrote out loud to yourself!
It is strange how we addicts think that beating the addiction is the only thing to do to live happily ever after. But life doesn't work that way sadly.... Challenges will come, as the one you are in the middle of. The one and only thing we have to do when **** happens, is NOT to take that drink or get high on other ****. The challenges is far way better dealt with with a sober mind.
****NOTE TO SELF******
Old 04-28-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Funny, I just had to do the same thing yesterday Ntt. Skybert is right on. We think that once we beat our addiction, our lives will be forever happy. Life still happens, for better or worse. We just have learned to not use drinking as a crutch.

You can do this Ntt!
Old 04-28-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
AV is having a great time with this but I will not give in. What would a drink accomplish? NOTHING!
Imagine the field day your AV would have if it was you being fired. So in a weird way, be grateful.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Firing someone is the hardest part of management but you said it, they brought it on themselves. It would be harder if it were a workforce reduction.

If AV is hounding you now be prepared for afterwords. You have this thing overcome, be strong. You can do it !!
Old 04-28-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Definitely not worth drinking over good job checking in with us bud
Old 04-28-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I understand terminating someone is and can be emotional. But you are simply executing your job responsibilities, right? Honestly, getting drunk over this has no place if you really think about it. Now, the person being terminated may bring a drunken episode into the picture, but that's their choice. Like you said, they've earned getting fired. Its not personal.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Getting in my car to head to meet with main supervisor. Meeting person thereafter...

Still feeling queezy and sweating but posting helps a bit.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are going to be just fine. First one is the hardest. I owned a company, after the first one or two it really sets in that is truly is not personal. The business must retain quality help.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope it went as well as could be expected nowisthetime.
D
Old 04-28-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all:

It went as good as it could. She didn't say anything... I believe that she is going to sue, but she has no case.

I went to dinner with a friend that is in town. I went with a bunch of other girl. They all ordered cocktails and I ordered a "double cherry coke and cut me off after the second one".... That one got a good laugh. I tried my best to ignore their drinks but I did catch myself looking at them. We finished our lovely dinner. They went out. I came home...

I was worked up so much and it turned out much better than expected. Lesson for me, wait and let things play out and don't have expectations. I honestly thought it was going to be a big scene and we even had security on hand just in case but none of that was necessary.

I am home now. My hubby has a buddy over and they are havin beer but my stomach has been in knots all day and beer or any licor would be horrible. I am not drinking tonight. Not worth it.

Thanks everyone for supporting me! I think I have made it through.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bravo. I've done it a dozen times and it was brutal...one of the reductions in force told her manager that it seemed far harder on me than it was on her!

So I get it. But I decided I never wanted to become the kind of person who found firing someone to be easy.

Sending you a hug.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm very glad you made it through with no issues. As you probably have learned, an employee threatening to sue is going to be the first words out of their mouth. Stay the course. You did well.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Release your inner rock star. Fire 'em and don't look back.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Here's an added thought. Virtually every time I've fired someone, they've gotten a better job down the line. Every time. A lot of time it's just the push they need to get into a better job that fits the former employee better.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through that. Good job! And, I love that you found a lesson in letting things play out. That is something I had to learn because, usually, I would try to manage/control everything. Letting go is really such a relief.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done, sounds like you handled the situation as well as possible. I don't envy you, what a tough job.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My whole family long time ago watched the matriarch gran pass away peacefully. The first thing my bro said was we needed to go home and drink lots of scotch. Not to celebrate her life- but our need to connect to our emotions. Firing someone happens. Stressful. Alcohol heightens- then numbs emotion. Better to ride those feelings out- journal it, learn from it and grow.