Wounds that cut deep

Old 04-26-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wounds that cut deep

Both of my parents are recovering drug addicts and severe alcoholics. My aunt is a recovering addict. My uncle is presently an addict. My grandfather is a raging alcoholic and my grandmother is a drug addict. I'm surrounded with it. I see AA books everywhere. I go to meetings with my parents. I've seen the violence, the hurt, the abuse that this disease causes. And I hate it all. I just want normalcy. I've had to grow up so quickly because of it. And I can't help but let them define me. I feel inferior to my friends. I feel hopeless. Lost. Confused. Lonely. It seems like my family makes me feel alone. No matter how much I reach out, they pull back. My mother has codependency issues. I have many characteristics that she and my father have because I have been raised around it. And the saddest part? I want to drink and use. I want to get away from feeling this pain and loneliness. Someone please talk with me. I hate this so much.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Welcome DAC, have you ever tried AA or Alanon? Theres tons of support there and here on SR
Old 04-26-2017, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteveAlex View Post
Welcome DAC, have you ever tried AA or Alanon? Theres tons of support there and here on SR
Am I at the wrong place? I am a family member of alcoholics. I thought I needed to be here but if not, where can I go for support??
Old 04-26-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Originally Posted by DogsAreCute View Post
Am I at the wrong place? I am a family member of alcoholics. I thought I needed to be here but if not, where can I go for support??
Thats fine. Alanon is for family members of alcoholics.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Al-anon.org is real meetings for family members of alcoholics. Just saying you may find additional support there as well as here
Old 04-26-2017, 09:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Empathy. Can you leave?
Old 04-26-2017, 09:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, DogsAreCute.

Sorry you are going through this.

As a spouse of an alcoholic - I have found this place to be very supportive. One can start with reading "stickies" at the top of the forum - it will help you to learn about the nature of addiction.

Al-anon is another resourse (12-step based) for family members of alcoholics and addicts. You say you go to meeting with your parents - you mean open AA meetings? Or do you go because you have an addiction problem yourself? In either case - keep going

Hang in there - it will get better
Old 04-27-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome. Sorry you're dealing with all of this. You didn't mention your age--is it possible to move out? Drinking and drugging never made ANYTHING better.

Growing up with addiction definitely hits kids hard. In addition to Al-Anon, there's also a great group called "Adult Children of Alcoholics"--you're going to find people there who have been through the SAME THINGS you have, and who are healing from the effects.

Hugs,
Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DogsAreCute View Post
Am I at the wrong place? ...
You are in the right place and most welcome to post any time you want.

What other folks are mentioning are organizations that provide support and meetings in the real world. You are welcome to attend their meetings in addition to posting here on Sober Recovery.

Mike
Moderator, SR