After Recovery Begins...

Old 04-26-2017, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After Recovery Begins...

My mother has been in recovery for about six months now. She is currently clean. During the time when she was using, she gave my sisters and I such a hard time. I had to grow up quickly and take care of them, as well as myself. My mother is very distant and mean with me. She expects me to forgive her, though her behavior towards me is the same as what it was. I am proud of her for changing and I love her, but she uses her recovery as an excuse to not be there for me. Shes changed, but she is still distant like before. Help please.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome DogareCute. I'm so glad you found us. This is a great community for finding help.

Growing up with an Alcoholic parent is beyond difficult . . . . as you have already mentioned. You might check out the Adult Children of Alcoholics forum. Also you might look into an Alanon meeting. These can be very supportive.

Big hug to you and keep posting!
Old 04-27-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, DogsAreCute. Welcome. Sorry for your sadness about your mom.
Sadly, sometimes people get sober, but....turns out they are still not very nice people.
We don't always get the parents we should have, and that is hugely sad.
Can we try to flip the script a bit? Sounds like, from your other post, that you have a dysfunctional family with lots of drugs and alcohol around.
You had to grow up fast. You are a survivor. You likely have coping skills the rest of us would envy.
Along with other posters, I urge you to find an Al-Anon meeting. It is a 12 step fellowship for friends and family of alcoholics and addicts. There are meetings all over the place. You don't have to speak. Just go online and find one in your area.
The support and understanding you will find there can be a lifesaver.
I have lots of alcoholism in my family. Al-Anon helped me to understand a lot about the disease.
Good luck.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Remaining sober does not make a person a better person- just a sober one. Can you get support by going to al-anon? Support to you.