Notices

6 months sober

Old 04-26-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 months sober

Ive recently made the sixth month mark after many years of addiction to various things. Pain pills and suboxone were things ive been on for about 7-8 years and for the past three years prior to getting clean i was pretty heavy into methamphetamine as well. Lately im having trouble wanting to get out of bed and face the day. Does anyone else have those feelings? I should mention that during the past sixth months four of the six i was in a jail and then a treatment center. So ive only been out of a controlled environment for around two months. Those old familiar feelings have slowly crept back into my life. Self centered fear is probably the biggest issue in my life. There may be some depression. But the thing that holds me down the most at this time is just wanting to avoid everything and hole up in my room. Anybody else ever experienced this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and posting. I have only experience with quitting alcohol but I can say that the hardest times I had came at around the 6 month mark. I was feeling physically better but mentally I was all over the place. Very angry a lot of the time. Had a horrible time getting up and going in the morning. I just kept going.

What are you doing for your recovery besides not using? Do you have face to face support? I needed that support and to be around people who were actively working on their sobriety. I desperately needed a well managed routine to keep me accountable and to retrain my brain into knowing that alcohol wasn't the answer to any of my problems.

Read around, keep posting and keep coming back.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Indo,

I've never used anything except alcohol, but on a certain level, addiction is addiction, right? I certainly have days that I don't feel like getting out of bed, maybe not to the same extent as you, but still. When I stopped drinking, I had a lot of extra time to fill (not drunk or hungover) and I found that staying in my "comfort zone" did sort of promote the same patterns of thinking. Only when I started to step out of that comfort zone did I begin to start seeing some growth. Forcing myself to do things that I would previously just blow off, even routine things like errands, became little victories. Either way, the thing I kept in the back of my mind is that no matter how bad I felt, drinking would only make it worse. Sometimes you just have rough days, other days are better. When were drinking or using, we're always trying to escape pain, or feel better or different. But that's not how real life works. Sometimes you ARE tired, you ARE bored, you ARE sad...but nothing is forever. Just seeing those days through, sober, day after day, is what builds us up in sobriety.

Good luck to you, friend!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

Hi Indo, welcome

massive well done on 6 months

for sure ive had penty of days where I haven't wanted to get out of bed. that's depression. you should speak to a doctor if you haven't.

I have found setting little to do task helps. gives some purpose to the day and you can slowly build how big the tasks are with how you feel and like wise make them smaller when youre not so good

talking is also a wonderful relief. did you receive therapy as part of your rehabilitation?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Welcome. I believe there is a big difference in getting sober and living sober.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

grats on 6

Old 04-26-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you

I really appreciate all of the responses. I attend meetings regularly. They help in a huge way. I usually meet with my sponsor once a week for step work. Im currently working on making my amends. Alcohol was always a big problem for me, but after my last dui i stopped drinking, but replaced it with various other things. I always needed something to make myself feel normal, or in actuality i was using something to escape. I guess i was wondering if the long term opiate addiction had something to do with the fear of facing the day. But i guess that it doesnt really matter. I just need to push on and face these fears. Depression is a possibility, ill look into what i might do to get that under control. Again, i really appreciate the replies. If anyone needs anything from me please dont hesitate to ask. Id be happy to help in any way i can.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

good advice here already indo so I'll just say - welcome

D
Old 04-27-2017, 01:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I see a doc, counsellor and do meetings to keep me sane- grow. Otherwise I am no better off than I was before- except a sober version.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good work Indo - welcome to SR