Notices

HOW TO STAY SOBER AND LIVE AN AWESOME LIFE! - Volume 1

Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HOW TO STAY SOBER AND LIVE AN AWESOME LIFE! - Volume 1

This is a participative thread series.... combined with a 'how-to' guide.

You will get out of it what you put into it, if you choose to participate.

If you choose not to participate, you may wish to follow along - maybe you'll get some ideas.

So - here in Volume 1 - the topic we will cover is:

~ Visualizing Our Awesome Life ~

It can be really hard to stay motivated, it can be really hard to even choose in the first place, much less do the work required to build an awesome life of sobriety. Sometimes, one of the big barriers to success is that we just don't have a picture of what we want life to be about. We're floating along with the current, aimlessly drifting, being dealt life's blows and waiting... waiting for.... something.

So in this installment we are going to practice visualizing what it is that we want our life to be about. What does it look like? What are our characteristics? What do we embody? What's our purpose? What are our relationships like? What do our loved ones see us as? What kind of man / woman are we?

It can be tempting to say "I don't know" or "I'm hopeless" or "I'll NEVER be the man / woman I want to be".

For now... set all that aside and just focus on creating the best picture of that Awesome Life that you can.

The only rule is - it has to be a sober life. "I will be a person who can party in moderation" isn't part of this method.

Feel free to share your work on this thread. Or, if you prefer, just grab a journal and start on page 1 with this exercise. We will work it together.

Ok?

Go.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks FreeOwl, I love this idea!

I want to finish my studies, find a meaningful job that I like, have a stable, honest and loving relationship with my boyfriend and kids in a few years. I would like to take good care of my body, continue with regular exercise like running (which I already started) and maybe even run some races. If not working, running or spending time with my family I would like to get better at painting, drawing and textile art and want to really get better at keeping in touch and reaching out to my wonderful friends. I want to have a good and healthy sleeping schedule and just more of a everyday routine in life. I want to be less of a stress head and able to be a good mum to my future kids. I want to find peace, love and calm in myself. I pretty much want to stay myself for the good parts (loving, caring, funny, creative) but want to work on the parts where work must be done (more trusting in life, more positive, worry and stress less, be more consistent and less scared of life).

I hope I understood this concept right.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

that's a great vision!! wonderful. Print it out. Keep it somewhere handy. Look at it every day - even several times a day. We will work with the vision more in our next installment, but for now that's an excellent start.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, that's a great idea! Speaking of visualising, I might actually draw or paint how I want my life to look

Lately I felt much like I would miss out on care free party and drinking time and it upset me a lot. Then, when I walked past some toddlers playing on the playground today, it reminded me, that it's THAT what I want my life to look like in the next 5-10 years. Having kids and a family, not being an ever partying single. And there would be no place for alcohol in that life.

It's such a good approach to focus on what we want in sobriety instead of focusing on what we would miss out on. It's always easier if you have a goal. Simple but excellent reminder, FreeOwl!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I want to live honestly with everyone. I don't want a secret drinking life any longer.
I want to regain my optimism and love of living.
I want to get back into competitive trail running.
Jonathan
Old 04-26-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Free Owl.
I like your idea and am at a point in life where this is a process that I need to implement.
In my one week of what I hope is my last "quit" I have devoted 2 hours a day to self-work..... two hours not working and not being immersed in family. I am going to spend today's two hours contemplating your question.
Thanks,
Jonathan
(sober by the way )
Old 04-26-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great idea for a thread. I'm entering what I believe is the final phase of my life and I'm guessing it will last around 25 years. I would like to build a moderately successful real estate practice, remain healthy and alcohol free and be there to sort through affairs when my parents pass away. That may sounds grim, but what I have listed is what's important to me.
Beyond that, I want to return to things I did as a child. I want to get a cabin up north and engage in hunting and fishing. I plan to dust off the golf clubs too as I love to play. I "try" not to live on the edge so much anymore, the stress was killing me. Stop and smell the roses I think is what they say.