Notices

Today is the day I crawl out

Old 04-26-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is the day I crawl out

I look back at what the last 20 years have been. It's that movie Ground Hog's Day. These habits that I hate so much, have had their claws in me for far far too long.

It's spring time and I want to transform into something different and leave that all behind. Finally! For good! I want to have the time and patience for the things I've left behind because I'm just a drunk when I get home from work.

This is the first day, and I"m going to get into bed sober tonight. Please send positive thoughts.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

As much positively can be sent your way I'm sending buddy

Have you written up a recovery plan ?
Old 04-26-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

+VE sent. Needs hard work and a plan. Welcome.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you can be happy again! Make a plan for your evenings to fill the time that you drank, with other things, log in here, go for a walk etc , lots of positive thoughts for you.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great start!! One day at a time, sober sleep!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! How formal and extensive should a recovery plan be? Are we talking one day at a time, or something more long term? Both?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
Thanks everyone! How formal and extensive should a recovery plan be? Are we talking one day at a time, or something more long term? Both?
Hi Man!

I started out simple, just don't drink today. I dug into options and different methods of recovery, learned about this s***** disease and began my long term plan.

Glad you're here!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

YOU.
CAN.
DO.
IT.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you mangoman

I also recommend a recovery plan.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

Some great ideas here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 04-26-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Groundhogs day is a great movie. Horrible life to live though. Congrats on day 1. Have you tried any meetings before?
Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Wanting to get sober is half the battle.

Then we need to get over the physical addiction.

Finally, the mental healing. That has taken me nearly 2 years and counting.

I feel like if the mental piece would have stabilized sooner, I would have relapsed anyway.

Since I still suffer at times, I feel like I appreciate sobriety more.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sending positive thoughts your way. You can do this.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sent.

Go for it, and keep going for it until you crack it! You can do this. :-)
Old 04-27-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision! Remember that Bill Murray's character took a long time to turn himself around, so be patient with yourself. People are telling you to make a plan because it takes more than just "not drinking today." Early on, you will be very tired and capable of doing little else than things that you must do or that support your recovery.

I seem to recall that in the movie, Bill Murray's character took on many new hobbies to fill his considerable free time. Everything from learning to play the piano to ice sculpting. You will need to find ways to fill the time you were drinking before. I recommend creative outlets, which for me include fiction writing.

You also need a plan for dealing with cravings. Personally, I find the support here at SR enough, but others need in-person support such as AA meetings or addiction counseling.

You can do it! I have been sober for almost 2.5 years.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I guess your night was **** Mangoman.....my first nights was anyway.
I agree with those recomending a plan. My plan is very general, but I call it "The Project". It gives room for adjustments underways, and the main goal is to let myself love the sober me. I often ask myself what the drunk me would do in situations that arises, and what the sober me will do. The difference I put on the account for rebuilding my selfrespect.

Beaming positive thoughts to you! You can do it!!

-skybert
Old 04-27-2017, 04:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
Here's my $0.02:
It should be simple yet comprehensive. For me, AA was the solution. It is a simple program of steps, yet truly developing a program of LIVING is a lifelong and deep process. My life now is a miracle and it is full and pretty darn wonderful.

One day at a time and long term- as in permanent. Total sobriety, forever, is the only solution for me.

Whatever you choose, a program of ACTION is what most of us with any amount of sobriety (I am just past 14 months after a very, VERY damaging road drinking) find necessary.

Glad to see you - you CAN do this. Making it simple at the beginning - for example, don't drink and go to a meeting; I also made to-do lists and at first they were things like 1 take a shower 2 eat twice 3 do laundry. Whatever you need to do at the place where you are. Deeper can come later.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I made through yesterday! Day 2 here I come. Thanks for all the wonderful encouragements and suggestions. I'm done with this crap, and I'm ready to discover what I've been missing!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's AWESOME news!

Write down how freaking amazing you feel this morning. How proud you are of yourself at this moment. Then when you get that "feeling" again, READ IT.

We have more power than we think. You can do this and we are all here for you. Post again later and lets get another day SOBER!!!

xoxo
Old 04-27-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Mangoman! I'll say this in response to your last post. You have missed a LOT and, with time, you will come to see that and you will almost certainly conclude that this was the greatest gift you could ever give yourself. However, and this is key, in the early days, there will be many times when it won't feel like that and you won't be able to see or feel the massive benefits that are to come. The key is to have some amount of faith that those benefits are coming, because they absolutely are, and fight through those periods where you really want a drink. You can do it! There isn't anything magical about quitting. Prepare yourself to get through the challenging times. Good luck, thanks for joining, and keep posting here!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Groundhog Day is actually a profound movie - we have time, and choices on how we spend it. Bill Murray's character developed:
from self-centered
to despair
to interested in others
to learning
Than finally, love and grace.

Despite everything around him remaining the same, he cultivated change from within and it made all the difference in the world.