Notices

Plagued with a Globus

Old 04-25-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Plagued with a Globus

Welp. Among other interesting developments in sobriety has come the latest; Globus Hystericus. Or perhaps Globus Pharyngeus.

In any case - a persistent sensation of lump in the throat.

Possibly associated with GERD (I've had for a long time and this thing really began when I not long ago started trying to get off the GERD meds).

But also, interestingly, associated with ANXIETY.

Huh. A physical manifestation of an emotional reaction - Globus often comes on suddenly and inexplicably (like mine did).

So.... not only was I trying to get off the GERD meds, but also becoming a father again, stressed at work, second home mortgage closing in and increasing expenses as we've continued trying to get it ready to rent.

All of this spells a psychosomatic affliction. The good news is that it's highly unlikely to be anything serious. The bad news is, this can really be a bear to resolve. It's frustrating and uncomfortable and at times even a little difficult to swallow.

This is likely a clear sign that I have emotions swirling that I'm not addressing or even adequately recognizing. The kind of things that would perviously had led me to a liquid solution to the problems.

Time to get back to my counselor and work in a few meetings.....

Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
But also, interestingly, associated with ANXIETY.

Huh. A physical manifestation of an emotional reaction - Globus often comes on suddenly and inexplicably (like mine did).
I have had a lot of these over the years...and definitely Globus, although I didn't not even know it was called that! But definitely the obsession over physical symptoms led to even more physical symptoms when my anxiety was at it's worst.

Another one for me is making up/feeling symptoms of diseases and maladies that I would read about on the news. Remember when the Ebola outbreak was at it's peak and there were those handful of cases here in the US? I was literally checking CNN every 5 minutes to see if there were any new cases and whether or not the people that were sick died or lived.

The mind is a very, very powerful thing...glad you caught this while it was manageable and are working on a solution.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel for you. I experienced the same thing for a while in sobriety. Mainly associated with anxiety. It is indeed uncomfortable. After a while, I'm sorry I don't remember how long, it just went away with no intervention. I hope yours resolves soon.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
I feel for you. I experienced the same thing for a while in sobriety. Mainly associated with anxiety. It is indeed uncomfortable. After a while, I'm sorry I don't remember how long, it just went away with no intervention. I hope yours resolves soon.
Thanks Leshar! Yeah I've read a lot about this experience and how it often simply goes away.

I'm at a high stress time of life. Haven't been exercising. Too much caffeine and sugar. Probably internalizing emotions.... I'm sure it'll be OK, but taking it as a sign that some things need my attention... some self care.

I'm glad that in sobriety I can recognize this and take some actions toward self care.... instead of just blindly seeking to drink my troubles away.