Notices

feeling down

Old 04-25-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feeling down

I start looking for a job and then I start to feel down. It seems so impossible. I am just posting because I guess I want to whine to someone. This is just so hard to me. I feel so useless.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Under the very best of circumstances, it's hard to find a job in this economy so don't be too hard on yourself. Be patient.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlesongbird View Post
I start looking for a job and then I start to feel down. It seems so impossible. I am just posting because I guess I want to whine to someone. This is just so hard to me. I feel so useless.
Here's the solution to any problem;

1 - you can moan about it
2 - you can accept it
3 - you can change it

Sometimes, there's a meta-option that involves two of these or even all three - but in the end there is just one that you must choose to go with.

2 of them will actually get you somewhere.

How we think about our problems is more than half the battle. When we notice our thinking shift, it's time to make a choice; keep the thought train rolling down those tracks, or switch it up. Maybe a break to go exercise and re-invigorate. Maybe a brief meditation. Maybe jot down a list of the general skills you've acquired in your life (ones which might apply to ANY industry or position) and then start a list of job areas you may have never even thought to consider applying for. Perhaps there's an out-of-the-box approach that you've been missing because you're stuck in a rut of "what am I qualified for, what have I done before" instead of "what are the wild possibilities".

What about starting your own business with skills you have and things you've learned?

I have one friend who recently started making interesting pieces of functional furniture out of old pallets. He's not getting rich, but little by little he's making income doing something he enjoys. What might YOU enjoy that you could get paid (even just a little) to do?

Maybe take a break and go to the library and just read. Maybe go to a coffee shop. Maybe pick up the phone and call 10 people you know and instead of "job searching" - start networking. "Hi... can I take 10 mintues of your time to tell you a little about where I'm at in life, what I'm looking for, and to ask your help in brainstorming on leads for folks whose areas of interest and expertise may align with mine? I need to broaden my network and I'd really appreciate any input you might have".

Sometimes those personal connections and inviting others into your challenge can lead to exciting new sparks.

You can participate and help guide your destiny with your choices and your thinking.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like what Freeowl said, and I agree very much.
I was facing the same struggle not long ago too. Networking and learning to sell yourself are very good practices to get into.
Also, continually educate yourself. There are so many free online courses you can take. It helps to fill up time, hones skills or expand knowledge and keep your mind sharp.

Take stock of the skills and talents you already have. Like FreeOwl said, you can start off small with something you're interested in or good at, and use that to build some income.

Another thing, and this is what I did. I considered the barriers that were keeping me from finding work. (reliable, affordable, flexible childcare)
Since I had zero prospects I figured there were other parents out there in the need of this. So that is how I got to where I am at today, minding children.
Consider the market and the gaps that need filling, where there may be a demand that doesn't often get considered. Learn how to market yourself on online selling sites.
You could offer services like odd jobs that people often don't have the time or want to do.
Going door to door to companies that you have the skills and knowledge to work at, that you are interested in is a good way of putting yourself out there too.
I did a lot of walking into specialty retail stores that I had a lot of experience in and handed my resume in in person, asking for the manager and owner. Show some confidence and initiative.

Action is what is needed, to stay motivated, out of a rut, and persevering that no matter how many dead ends you keep hitting, you won't stop until you find something, and you are capable of creating a space for yourself in the mean time. This is doable!
I know it's hard not to get negative. I spent close to a year before I found a job and that didn't last long. I've always seem to have done better self-employed.

I wish you luck and positivity!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes!!!

ACTION.

Action is movement and movement is the antidote to depression and glumness and stuckness and feeling helpless....

Choose. Act.

You can do this.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LSB- NOT USELESS, HUMAN. Just try small steps. What can you do differently in looking for work? Perhaps think of something you really like- volunteer and maybe a job may become available- like animals, or working with aged people. Go directly to places- armed with your best look/smile- a good plan/research of what they do and see what happens. Support to you. Confidence is like a building- solid foundation first, build up slow. Keep posting. Not whining either. Better than drinking. Support and empathy to you. PJ
Old 04-25-2017, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

don't lose heart littlesongbird - there are jobs out there for people who want them...You just have to keep making sure you're there in the right place to hear about them

never give up

D