Notices

Stress

Old 04-24-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Stress

So, last Wednesday night, I had my first panic attack since I've been sober. To be clear, going fourteen months without a panic attack probably hasn't happened in 35 years. So that's awesome. Also, I'm off of anxiety meds for over a year now, and I regulated myself with breathing and intentional movement in about half an hour. So that's awesome too. So why am I still beating myself up for having a panic attack? I know that this is something that I will deal with for the rest of my life. And I know that I didn't do anything wrong to make it happen. It's the end of the semester in a very intense clinical psychology graduate program, so the stress is not out of the ordinary for what I'm doing. But there is still a part of me that can't accept that I'm not perfect. My years spent living in a bottle really took a toll on my self-image, which wasn't all that great to begin with. So now, I push myself to try to always maintain perfection and stability in my life. I know that this is baggage from trying to keep myself safe as a child of abusive alcoholic parents. But I just can't seem to cut myself a break right now. After I finish my final test for a class tomorrow, my plan is to unplug and take care of myself for the day. I have an appointment with my therapist, and then I want to go for a massage, have a nice quiet dinner, and go for a moonlight walk with my dog before meditating and going to bed early. I need to loosen my grip before I let this get out of control and induce another panic attack.

Thanks for listening folks.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
So, last Wednesday night, I had my first panic attack since I've been sober. To be clear, going fourteen months without a panic attack probably hasn't happened in 35 years. So that's awesome. Also, I'm off of anxiety meds for over a year now, and I regulated myself with breathing and intentional movement in about half an hour. So that's awesome too. So why am I still beating myself up for having a panic attack? I know that this is something that I will deal with for the rest of my life. And I know that I didn't do anything wrong to make it happen. It's the end of the semester in a very intense clinical psychology graduate program, so the stress is not out of the ordinary for what I'm doing. But there is still a part of me that can't accept that I'm not perfect. My years spent living in a bottle really took a toll on my self-image, which wasn't all that great to begin with. So now, I push myself to try to always maintain perfection and stability in my life. I know that this is baggage from trying to keep myself safe as a child of abusive alcoholic parents. But I just can't seem to cut myself a break right now. After I finish my final test for a class tomorrow, my plan is to unplug and take care of myself for the day. I have an appointment with my therapist, and then I want to go for a massage, have a nice quiet dinner, and go for a moonlight walk with my dog before meditating and going to bed early. I need to loosen my grip before I let this get out of control and induce another panic attack.

Thanks for listening folks.
I hate panic attacks. Sounds like some nice relaxing is just what you need! You deserve it
Old 04-24-2017, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Panic shite sucks. I do breathing stuff to help mine.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

some good ideas here SH

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...44-stress.html