Notices

On Triggers

Old 04-23-2017, 11:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On Triggers

Hey all. This site is so helpful for me - so much love and support! I was wondering then if someone could help me... Does anyone else find it difficult to identify​ triggers? I can't find any real consistency in my drinking habits. I drink when I'm sad, happy, confused indifferent...It makes me feel hopeless to think I drink just for the sake of drinking.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2017, 11:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

By the end of my drinking waking up was a trigger, VigilanceNow.

For some identifying triggers can be useful, for me I just had to remember not to drink... ever.

Later on, with a little recovery under my belt I was able to go back and say 'that was the start of that craving' etc... but for the initial phase I kept it simple.

D
Old 04-24-2017, 12:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi VigilanceNow.

I was like you as in anything seemed to be a trigger for me. Happy, sad, hard day at work, good day at work. Wind blowing , sun shining. Anything.

I just had to stop and then learn to use the correct tools for my recovery.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks my last relapse was inexplicable... I'd had an awesome weekend, was generally in a good mood... Then had the worst relapse ever drinking almost an entire bottle of vodka. Just baffling!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drink when I'm sad, happy, confused indifferent...It makes me feel hopeless to think I drink just for the sake of drinking.

For me, alcohol just became a reaction to everything and also drinking for the sake of drinking (thinking: "oh well, this can only make me feel better"). There are definitely some deep-seated anxieties that act as triggers but they just become a way to rationalize drinking. I am sure the veterans here will tell you that there are more reasons not to drink than there are to drink.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

During my last bout of boozing an oldtimer told me that when I drink it's because I can't not drink. I think accepting that was liberating. It made the solution, to not drink, easier to accept. I drink because I'm an alcoholic and the only sane thing for an alcoholic to do is to not drink (and learn to cope with the consequences, of course).
Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by VigilanceNow View Post
I can't find any real consistency in my drinking habits.
The common denominator in all my drinking was me.
Once I quit trying to change all the outside reasons I drank and worked on the inside ones it all sort of fell into place.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anything stressful to me is a trigger. I write thiese down, then work out why- and what to do to deal with the stress- post here, meetings, joural, shopping- whatever
Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nmd

Triggers vary person to person and have also changed as I've gained sober time. Dining out is a little bit easier for me now for example.

HALT (hungry angry lonely tired) was a big one for me in the first few months and seems common for most. Managing my feelings helped me keep my head on straight and helped me stay sober.

Discovering triggers was all part of building my own sobriety plan. If I find myself in a situation with an unexpected craving/trigger, what will I do? What is my exit plan or coping strategy? What situations should I avoid early on? What activities are best avoided altogether because they only serve to lead me back to a path of drinking?

I think it's all about knowing ourselves, or at least discovering ourselves. Learning to be honest and practicing self care. It's really a process instead of an answer set in stone. Knowing what i will do when encountering a trigger has been key.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2/2016

I drank to reward myself.

I drank to overcome grief.

I drank to forget about stress at work.

Life was a trigger for me. I still get triggered, I just do not reach for a drink anymore. What a relief.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My Triggers Today:

Dishonesty
Disloyalty
Death
Social situations where others are drinking
Loud & angry people
Summer BBQs
Thanksgiving
X-Mas
New Years
After I've completed a massive project and I want a reward
Old 04-24-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My trigger used to be 'any old excuse'

- tough day at work, it'll help relax
- happy, out with mates, all drinking
- pissed off with someone/life
-Feeling alone, miserable
-Celebrating- lost weight (obviously totally counter productive

However, my trigger this week will definitely be my payday. It's also a V busy day in work but anytime I've got to day 7 before, I've found it just a little easier to say "i did the first week, i can do another"
I could be wrong but I'm just trying to keep positive