Notices

Eating instead of drinking

Old 04-23-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eating instead of drinking

Day 3 today. I find everytime I quit drinking I eat too much. I don't want to replace one addiction with another but can't stop stuffing my face
Old 04-23-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Say yes to peanut butter!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i think short term, you're ok. if you do not drink things will balance themselves out. EMBRACE sobriety. get excited about it. it's not a penance, it's FREEDOM.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Sober! That's pretty typical for newly sober people. After a hard binge I eat everything and can barely move. I think it's mostly your body attempting to replenish the nutrients that were blocked by alcohol abuse. 3 days is great, but your body is still recovering. Make sure you get good foods, like veggies and fruit - it's super important for all your body's functions and will help you feel better faster. Also hydrate hydrate hydrate!! Flush all those toxins good luck!!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you, SoberNunn. And it feels like it's never anything healthy either :/ I just have to keep reminding myself it's better than the booze. I think the eating will eventually even itself out; don't beat yourself up too much. Stay strong-- you've got this!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

The most important thing is to be sober.

Some foods and additives (sugar included) are addictive so while it is counterintuitive to switch to another possible addiction it's still most important ot be sober.

To break the bad food habits you can use the same techniques as for booze.

Also as suggested choose good foods. Largely unprocessed fresh foods. Quality fat free proteins. A handful of nuts to nibble on instead of candy et.c.

I find eating well, good foods that I prepare myself is very much cheaper than buying food that someone or some company has prepared. Much better quality foods. Less problems from overeating. Ultimately there is also Overeaters Anonymous.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi SoberNunn! Now that I'm back on the wagon myself, I've allowed myself to splurge on comfort food today. Figure I've mentally beat myself up so giving myself a break and solely focusing on not drinking. After a few days, I'll be back on my salads. Don't be too hard on yourself with the food issue. We are back on track together!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Same here. The first 4-5 days after my last drink, I was constantly craving sweets! That has balanced it a little bit now, and I'm not getting into the candy and cookies quite as much. Don't worry about it right now, just keep going and whatever you do, don't drink. I am only on my 2nd sober weekend, and I haven't lost any weight yet, but I do think the bloating and inflammation has gone down, and my face is definitely not as red. I've been drinking green juice and eating fruits and veggies, and trying to drink more water. Honestly though, I'm still having mostly diet Dr Pepper and coffee (caffeine) to get me thru each day, especially during the work week.
I went grocery shopping earlier today, and it was so hard for me to walk by the wine department without buying anything. But I just kept on walking and by the time I went to check out, I had completely forgotten about it. I hope it will get easier. Just keep going, you're doing great!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I find frozen fruit is good to replace the candy. I like it better frozen and then you can make smoothies with it too.
Also, keep a salad made for when you get a craving, then it's already there and you don't even have to think about it. And cereal is a good go to also.
Lately I've been making shaved ice in my smoothie maker. No calories!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Sober Nun,

I'm on Day 23 (almost 24 in a few hours!) and I'm eating like crazy.

It bothers me, but I'm way happier that I'm eating candies and cookies instead of 2 bottles of wine a night.

Plus, I'm sure from all the research I've done on here that these cravings will subside eventually.

Keep up the good work and congrats on Day 3! You are making it work, and that's awesome!
Old 04-23-2017, 10:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same here, SoberNunn! When I drink I lose weight because I barely eat, when I stop drinking I eat tons of chocolate and gain weight. I've decided I'll enjoy my chocolate for now until I'm further along in my sobriety. I'll tackle one thing at a time, most important thing right now is that I stay sober.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

im on day 28 and cant stop eating sweets and chocolate!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
All is Change

The best way to stop eating sweets and chocolate is to stop eating sweets and chocolate. It's staying stopped that can be difficult. The same coping mechanism as used in dealing with alcohol cravings apply. After a month or so the sugar cravings go away.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Same here. The intense sugar cravings and hunger/greed lasted almost two months. Things have calmed down a bit after that. I feel the "substitution factor" reduces with time and you move on to better things.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not really craving sweets but the house is full of Easter eggs! I think it's just comforting at the moment to have something to put in my mouth besides a glass of wine!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I will start working out in a week once I've finished detox. I've developed pimples on my back like a teenager, toxins escaping maybe?
Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Alcohol is so poisonous to the body and has so many side effects.. it wouldn't surprise me if acne is one of them. My skin looks horrible when I drink! Alcohol also blocks proper absorption of essential vitamins even if you're eating a lot. Might want to get your levels checked
Old 04-24-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In the short term it may be good to eat even poorly for a while. During my first few weeks and even month all I could do was eat. The food cravings(and binges) eventually subsided and I started eating healthy one thing that really helped me was flavored La Croix waters and fresh fruits it's like candy but healthy and satisfies my craving for soda and sweets.also I went out and found a great multivitamin to help give me all th nutrients that I had lost during my10years of drinking and that helped big time Hope this helps good luck and congratulations on day 3 keep it going!!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Common