Notices

Hello

Old 04-22-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi I am new to this site. Drinking a bottle of wine a night and a couple of beers. Wanting to stop . Last time I did so for 10 days but that was a year ago. Just wondering if anyone has any advice as I'm worried about withdrawals? Currently I can go through the day no problem and don't notice any withdrawals. What do people think? I have tried cutting down but it doesn't work for me....
Old 04-22-2017, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
Hi I am new to this site. Drinking a bottle of wine a night and a couple of beers. Wanting to stop . Last time I did so for 10 days but that was a year ago. Just wondering if anyone has any advice as I'm worried about withdrawals? Currently I can go through the day no problem and don't notice any withdrawals. What do people think? I have tried cutting down but it doesn't work for me....
Welcome to SR, riverwild.

This is a great place to start your sober journey from.

You'll get loads of help and advice although I don't know about withdrawals myself.

Good luck :-)
Old 04-22-2017, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi riverwild.

Honestly, the best advice I can give you if you're worried about withdrawal is see a Dr.

Thats not just a standard politically correct line either - alcohol detox xan, sometimes, get a little hairy.

It's best to be safe.

D
Old 04-22-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh there is life out there! Hi and thanks for the replies. I thoughts I would just stop starting now and see how I go....
Old 04-22-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Riverwild,

I'm a bottle of wine and couple of beers man too. Fully functioning during the day.

I realised I was missing out on too much in life due to hangovers, planning everything around getting to that end point in the day and mental health going south.

This is day 7 and I'm feeling a lot better already, first 3 days were bad but through that. Cravings are strong but I'm dealing with them for now.

I'm sure you can do this too.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey river,
I detoxed on my own. Looking back I wish I had gone to my doctor and gotten help. Anything to make it easier. If things get to bad I would get to your doctor though. Good luck on your sober journey.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

River,

In my experience....

Alcohol detox can kill.

I never went to the dr. I detoxed probably a dozen times in as many years as it was my norm to binge.

I believe I suffered seizures a few times towards the end, one time while driving. Not for sure, I was 9 days clean when it happened. They may have also been panic attacks that caused me to lose control of my balance and vision.

Again...everyone says go to the dr. Dieing during detox is what everyone is afraid off.

Here is my problem w going to the dr.

Once diagnosed as an alky, you carry that title for life. It is on many application and health questionaires.

Finally, dr. Will give you drugs, anti depression type drugs. Some folks then need these for life. So....one addiction for another.

I am not a special person that was able to do this sober thing on my own willy nilly. I suffered living hell dealing w the world after I stopped drinking. At 80 days clean, I thought I was going insane. The obsessivness and lack of normal brain function is maddening.

SR saved my life. If you are not able to deal w the potential horrors of what I experienced, you NEED to see a dr. and get some meds.

I'm nearly 2 years sober. I still get anxiety. I still suffer sometimes. I am med free except for a b supp, a multi v, coffee and sugary stuff sometimes.

This is my experience and opinion.

Sincerely and Thanks.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for that, I was worried about DT etc. but I'd like to hope I can handle some anxiety and poor sleep without going down the medical route. Tried to PM you but won't let me till I post 5 posts...
Old 04-22-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep posting only 2 more posts
Old 04-22-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I could not stop by controlled reduction. I stopped several times without seeing a doc. and had seizures- had to go to hosp in an ambulance. Family freaked- the beginning of the end of family unit.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'd quit and monitor your blood pressure and heart rate and if things get funky head to the doctor. Congratulations on a great decision. A better life awaits you.