Notices

Scared stop and scared to keep going

Old 04-21-2017, 02:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared stop and scared to keep going

I'm afraid to stop suddenly from all the horror stories I've read here.
I'm Ito keep drinking because my health is getting bad. Wake up sick every morning now gagging with stomach issues. I stay in bed until 12pm because I don't sleep some nights. Been reading horror stories about cirrhosis on other sites which hasn't helped my anxiety at 'all.
I'm so broke right now there is no way to see the doctor.
I'm having that doomed feeling, sheer panic. Even scared to drive.
And no I haven't even stopped for a day!
I know it takes about 72 hours, but I have to take my daughter to a venue Sunday afternoon which would be the 3rd day. Isn't that a danger zone for seizures?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Marrisa....I'm glad you are here. For your health, safety and your daughters health and safety, go to the doctor. Likely you'll have to spend money for booze so spend it on the doc instead. Stick around,and keep us up on how you are doin!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us can identify with being scared to stop and scared to continue, Marissa.

Why not make an appointment and see your Dr so you can stop safely?

D
Old 04-21-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Marissa- I remember that feeling you describe, of being terrified to stop and terrified of continuing to drink. Finally- FINALLY- I was DONE and quit cold turkey. I did suffer a lot of physical symptoms (I was drinking about a handle of vodka every two days or less) - but it was worth it to be completely free of alcohol and begin my journey in sobriety.

I did see my GP and psych for med support and began a well-supervised drug regimen. I had all m tests done, including liver enzymes etc, which was the big scary one. They were dangerously high when I quit and they got to smack in the middle of normal in 3-4 months.

For me, quitting was a life or death decision. And quitting was the best choice I have ever made.

Good luck. You can do it.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've decided to detox with xanax. I know you don't recommend that but my anxiety was so bad I actually couldn't breathe. I already had it prescribed last December but didn't take it because I was drinking. I'm only taking it as prescribed. So there is no drinking with that. I also have prescribed tramadol if my back pain gets too bad. I won't even take more than one of those a day.
My BP was 112/82 - pulse 86. I'll keep a watch on that too.
Just took a Multi Vit, B1, B6, D3 - Tired from no sleep last night but I have to keep going today.
Wish me luck!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really can't believe how much this xanax is helping. It's only a .25, which is the lowest dose. But it has helped with the shakes, my breathing, the nausea, and dropped my blood pressure back to normal this morning. I also read that it can be helpful at lowering the risk of seizures. I think I can make it through the weekend with it until the worst of this may be over.
My only problem now is I'm still obsessing on this laptop and not getting anything done.
But I'm feeling more positive now then I was last night when I was having breathing problems.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you are feeling more positive. I just finished the three day detox two days ago and yeah, it super sucked but so worth it. Not everyone's experience is the same but we can all get through it. Good luck and be careful!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

The part of you that's addicted to alcohol will always be throwing out reasons why continuing to drink is a good idea. You need to listen to the better part of your nature, the one who is looking for ways to stay sober. Who will do whatever it takes to get sober and stay sober, seeing a doctor for withdrawal issues for instance.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Are these medications prescribed by a Dr ?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Are these medications prescribed by a Dr ?
Yes they are recent prescriptions from my December Doctor visit.
She's known I was alcoholic since I first started seeing her 3 years ago. I also saw the therapist at the clinic last year. All totally legal.
I never drink and take those at the same time. Tramadol is what most hepatalogists prescribe to liver patients for pain in moderate doses. And also will prescribe xanax too. My tramadol is for PMDD(female issue) and scoliosis. Once I detox I will be moving onto Lexapro for depression. Have prescription for that too.
I have an appointment already scheduled for June.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent Marissa x
Old 04-21-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marissa41 View Post
Yes they are recent prescriptions from my December Doctor visit.
She's known I was alcoholic since I first started seeing her 3 years ago. I also saw the therapist at the clinic last year. All totally legal.
I never drink and take those at the same time. Tramadol is what most hepatalogists prescribe to liver patients for pain in moderate doses. And also will prescribe xanax too. My tramadol is for PMDD(female issue) and scoliosis. Once I detox I will be moving onto Lexapro for depression. Have prescription for that too.
I have an appointment already scheduled for June.
Stop drinking,.. Seriously
Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great advice forward12

Well done on your detox im sure you are doing your upmost to stay sober and youre doing great
Stick with SR on your recovery i found/find it so helpful
Post when you feel you need to

Good luck and keep strong whatever works for you do it x
Old 04-21-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Support to you.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The good thing about doing it this way is that I haven't felt sick all day and I'm hungry. Typically on a day like today I'd almost refuse to eat. I've managed to actually get up and do something.
Most of you know every time I have tried to go cold turkey I haven't even made it a day and was miserable and just ended up drinking again. And that tapering crap certainly doesn't work either! This really is the best way for me to do it.
I had xanax years ago for panic attacks/anxiety. And that doctor gave me plenty. I ended up just hoarding bottles of them because I barely took them. I didn't take them enough to get withdrawal from them. I just quit. Ended up throwing out my hoard. Past few years panic attacks started again when people I love started dying so my doctor prescribed me a few. Not a lot.
I was sober before and I understand they can be triggers. But I literally use them when I can't catch my breath or I hyperventilate. Trust me I don't want a benzo addiction!

And BTW I'm going to take one benadryl before bed instead of xanax. I have allergies and it helps me sleep.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What is xanax if you dont mind me asking ? Im in the uk and never heard of it ?

Good for you i hope you sleep well tomorrow is a new day and another day sober

Positive thoughts x
Old 04-21-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just looked it up its equivalent to diazepam in the uk (vallium) here you can get that in 2mg 5mg and 10mg
Extremely higher doses than you are taking !!
They are addictive but if taken in high doeses for 12 plus weeks every day

Really puzzled me now i lnow what benzo means (learning)
Old 04-21-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's a benzodiazepine Like Valium... It can become highly addictive if used for long periods of time.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you 😊 good luck on your recovery routing for you from the UK x