Notices

Got my blood work back

Old 04-20-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got my blood work back

Evening all,
I got my blood work back and my liver, kidney and electrolyte levels are in normal range. Thank god! Being 38 and an alcoholic since I was a teen, and then heavily drinking for the last decade, I feel extremely lucky and grateful.

My Dr. has suggested Antabuse and says I'm a good candidate. I've often thought of it and have researched the crap out of it throughout the years. I accepted the offer and will start tomorrow, with monthly blood work, for 90 days.

I don't think it's a cure or a quick fix but another tool in my all encompassing plan to never drink again. I'm so excited about so many things and am gladly taking on the hard work of this journey. Jeeze, anything's better to me than being a desperate drunk.

Thank you for listening!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So glad that your bloodwork is okay, MissOverIt.

Take that great news and hold tight to sobriety; you will never regret it!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm gonna!!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad your blood work was good. It might be helpful to add some of her supports besides the Antabuse, I have found recovery to be about making healthier choices physically and mentally.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Absolutely. The Antabuse is not my only tool. I am setting up therapy sessions tomorrow and am making lifestyle changes. All good stuff. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats
Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How long did you wait between the tests? And were your liver enzymes really really high or just slightly elevated on the first?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations, MissOverIt, it sounds like you are using Antabuse exactly as intended: Not a cure-all, but another arrow in your sobriety quiver. It will help you when your trying to build the right habits for your future
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

congratulations! i was surprised by my bloodwork coming out normal too (about 6 weeks into sobriety). time to make the most of it and start an exercise routine! (note to self:time to make the most of it and start an exercise routine)

Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

MOI- well done. Just a devil's advocate thought- my bro 9who died @ 441 from booze) rang me once to tell me despite his chronic alcohol abuse- his liver was fine. He took this to mean he could party on. Took 4 more years. Nothing t do with you- a familial reminder to me not to go down the same road.
So well done. A new life.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Miss,

We are all different.

Imo....

Wanting to quit is half the battle.

Getting through detox is next.

Staying quit and remaining at least content, ideally happy, is the life goal.

Replacing drinking time w sober time while the brain normalizes over at least a year.s worth of triggers....

e.g. new years, fridays, weekends, 4th of july, memorial day, thanks giving etc....

Is the trick...

I just went through my second Easter sober. It was a trigger. Who.d a thunk it. My wife.s friends husband was making everyone fruity cocktails. I had to pass of course.

Woke up Monday for work still clean.

Again, everyone is different...I quit cold turkey after at least 15 years of off and on daily, binger, and moderation. I was a fat mess.

I still deal w ptsd from what I believe now were detox seizures.

I never took meds or went to a dr. About my drinking problem. I would have lost my cool job. I learned all about my issue right here on SR. I Google stuff too.

I work out and do other things now instead of drink.

I hate booze. I still crave a bit every day, but I am used to it.

I play the tape and the crave goes away.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad for your good news MissOverIt - it feels like a second chance doesn't it?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It really does, Dee. Almost a complete relief too. It's hard to explain but I'm sure you all get it. Thank you to everyone's feedback! Onward
Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As for the questions about by blood results I'm happy to share. The blood was pulled towards the end of the 72 hour detox. Liver, kidney and electrolytes were in normal range. Not elevated. This is indeed not a green light to keep on partying as I will never drink again. I feel insanely grateful. I'm scheduled for monthly blood work to make sure the Antabuse isn't messing with my liver either.

I'm headed to the gym for some exercise and truly feel like I've received some terrifying gift this week. Haha!