Notices

Day 11 Sleep Question???

Old 04-19-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11 Sleep Question???

So i've made it to day 11. I'm going to sleep around 10-11 and I wake up for work at 0530. I wake up 1-2 times a night smoke half a smoke and go back to bed. But when I wake up in the morning i'm groggy and it takes a while for me to get my feet under me. Really close to feeling after I had a long night of drinking. I'm a heavy alchoholic. I drink a full bottle of whiskey a night and some beer. Just wondering if this is normal with the sleep pattern?
Old 04-19-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Totally normal. The first 3-4 months I would crash around 10, wake up at 2, smoke butts, go back to sleep and be up for the day at 5. It takes a while for your body to reset itself. Your nervous system is still healing. Give yourself and your body some grace...just accept it for what it is. It won't kill you, so don't over analyze it. Try shutting off all screens (phone, TV, laptop) an hour earlier, lighting a candle and taking a hot shower and getting into bed chill and relaxed.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi kids and Beans .. you have to retrain your brain to know that sleep is good and waking up is great.. no food or coffee or soda after 7pm your time.. turn off the tv and radio and sound and close your eyes.. in a month or so you should be able to hit all night a couple of times a week.. it will get there . slowly.. if you can try and do out side in the fresh air for an hour before bed.. the fresh air will help and do a walk for at least a half hour.. that too will help ... promise cross my heart..
Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im on day 12 and having problems with sleep also and napping late afternoon after work
On average you need 7-8 hours (i wish) i sleep at 12 wake at 4am for an hour maybe more and back to sleep until 7ish 😴

Im told it will get easier and well done on day 11 you can do this

Good luck 👍🏽
Old 04-19-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it is very typical to have sleep problems in early recovery. Hopefully things will settle before too long.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Restful sleep is a huge reason to never alter my body w booze again.

Knowing that i can count on a normal life flow to end w reasonable sleep was something foreign to me.

I am now feeling fairly comfortable sleeping regularly from 5 to 8 hours a night.

The cool thing is...when i only get 5 do to work usually...i am not a wreck.

I power through the day..feeling tired a bit...unlike when i was a drunk.

Sleep, and health in general, are main factors in what keeps me marching on a sober lifestyle.

Drinking for sleep doesn't work. That is addiction talking.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i wasnt drinking quite as much, but still had sleep problems for a while. takes time for a body that has had mass quantities of alcohol poured into it to readjust-takes time for the physical effects to change and body,mind, and spirit to heal.