Notices

Sleep

Old 04-18-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep

My sleep pattern is awful im 11 days in and whilst drinking i took zopiclone on the days i didnt to knock me out !!
Ive stopped everything last saturday ditched pills and drink (i dont do things lightly)
Now late afternoon im so tured i nap (supposed to be 30mins) yesterday was 2 hours and i was still awake at 1am last night
I woke up several times until my alarm went off at 7.20am i feel exhausted
Im going to stop napping in the day but is anyone else experiencing this ?
Ive hit gym hard yesterday done back to back classes for 1 hour walked dogs n had my head stuck in laptop for work
How long before sleep returns to normal (ive taken sleepers for a while but not every night)
Thank you

Day 12 here i come 👍🏽
Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on day 12 your sleep will Improve
Old 04-19-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At around 45 days I went to a hypnotist. It helped tremendously but it's basically an expensive personalized meditation recording. Learn to meditate might help.

good luck
Old 04-19-2017, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Everyones different. It should even out soon though. 12 days!! Way to go!!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys means a lot
Hopefully it will even out i need to stop napping in the day but i get so tired i sit down n poof sleep
Moral of story dont sit/lie down lol

Have a fab and sober day all you inspire me everyday x
Old 04-19-2017, 01:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
At around 45 days I went to a hypnotist. It helped tremendously but it's basically an expensive personalized meditation recording. Learn to meditate might help.

good luck
Apparently yoga helps im going to try that first but thank you and im glad it worked for you x
Old 04-19-2017, 01:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't take any meds and my sleep got progressively better until it was normalised at about 10 days or so

D
Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

My sleep didn't return to normal for around 2 months or so, sadly. Although I've always had insomnia issues my whole life, also caffeine issues. I'm sleeping great lately though, it's sweet.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you need to nap then nap, recovery is hard on your mind and body so don't beat yourself up for sleeping if you need to. Try not to worry, it took a while for my sleep pattern to settle down too but by the one month mark things had improved tremendously. And huge congrats on the 12 days
Old 04-19-2017, 04:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

When drinking I would often wake up in the middle of the night and have poor sleep. For a few days after I quit I had trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep, but it quickly turned around and I could not get enough sleep. Early to bed, late to rise, afternoon naps, the works. Even during that time, I was always extremely tired in the afternoons and could not wait to get home for a nap. Just go with the flow and stay away from meds. It took me over two months to re-gain a "normal" sleep pattern.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was very sick when I quit drinking and it took me quite awhile to normalize, but I did - and for me that normal meant (and often still means) naps most days. Sleep, rest and fatigue are all my major priorities as far as how I feel and cope with life, here at 422 days.

Don't drink - things will keep improving!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bonkers sleep patterns were a feature of my recovery too. I think they started to even out after about a month.

Waking up with a clear head and clarity of mind were also a feature of my recovery....so I wasn't too bothered about the above. It was worth it.

Keep going, you're doing great!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am dealing with disrupted sleep as well. But I am sleeping way better than I was 3 days ago -- the last time I had a drink.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
All is Change

I've been sober many years now and I still have what are possibly 'poor sleep patterns' but it doesn't bother me any more. Some of it's probably due to age. The meditation I do is a great substitute for sleep as well as making it easier to accept things as they are.

If I was of a mind to feel bothered by my sleep or lack thereof I'd likely feel very bothered however not only is the meditation restful in itself it makes for a mind set that doesn't get bothered. The meditation is pure awareness, very focused observation of things as they are. In other words, no reactions, not trying to make things be in any way iow not expending any energy, merely 'going with the flow' which is what sleep is. Very restful.

At the same time because it is based on equanimity it makes one equanimous. iow one doesn't get 'bothered' any where as mush as without the meditation. At the same time old stock of miseries are allowed to rise and pass away making the mind and body lighter, a purification if you will.

I strongly recommend trying this out. No medication and it can be done anywhere at any time with no props just a mind and body.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It took 3 months for me. This is a long haul. Stick with it though - it gets better!