Notices

Feeling tearful

Old 04-18-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling tearful

Where on earth did that come from?

Literally 2 minutes ago I was sitting with the sun streaming through the window and feeling positive about the future then Bammm, my mood plummeted and the tears started.

I feel pathetic and a waste of space. I am a mum, I should be with my son. Instead he is a couple of hours away living with his partner's family while I'm sitting in my small single, dingy bedroom in a shared house not knowing when I can afford to see him again.

I've grabbed a shower and a cup of tea and should be getting ready to go to work. Instead I'm sitting in my dressing gown on the edge of my bed wondering how I'm going to pay my bills.

I've applied for every single job I am capable of doing that is going in the local area (except bar work!!) and check the job sites around every half hour to make sure I haven't missed anything but I have no references.

I can't see a way forward but there is NOT going to be any going back!!

Right, sorry for that. I've got that out of my system and will now wash my face, get another cuppa and have a look at the map of the local area (I've only been here 4 weeks) and find somewhere I've not been and can walk to.

I've started going to a local church and they have a women's group there on a Tuesday so I shall go along this morning - I didn't go last week as had drunk a lot on the Monday. After that I shall stroll - maybe even attempt to walk up to the castle and cathedral (to those in the UK that remember the Hovis ad with the young lad pushing his bike up that steep cobbled road - the road to the castle and cathedral is marginally steeper!)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,

Sometimes emotions hit me like that too. I'm not afraid or embarrassed to admit that sometimes I get teary eyed from nowhere.

Have you tried an employment agency? I know they can have a bad reputation but they can be useful in terms of getting you back into the workplace. Sometimes the job starts off as temporary but once the employer sees that you are reliable it can turn into a permanent role?

Strength to you.

Tony
Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StartAnew68 View Post
Where on earth did that come from?

Literally 2 minutes ago I was sitting with the sun streaming through the window and feeling positive about the future then Bammm, my mood plummeted and the tears started.

I feel pathetic and a waste of space. I am a mum, I should be with my son. Instead he is a couple of hours away living with his partner's family while I'm sitting in my small single, dingy bedroom in a shared house not knowing when I can afford to see him again.

I've grabbed a shower and a cup of tea and should be getting ready to go to work. Instead I'm sitting in my dressing gown on the edge of my bed wondering how I'm going to pay my bills.

I've applied for every single job I am capable of doing that is going in the local area (except bar work!!) and check the job sites around every half hour to make sure I haven't missed anything but I have no references.

I can't see a way forward but there is NOT going to be any going back!!

Right, sorry for that. I've got that out of my system and will now wash my face, get another cuppa and have a look at the map of the local area (I've only been here 4 weeks) and find somewhere I've not been and can walk to.

I've started going to a local church and they have a women's group there on a Tuesday so I shall go along this morning - I didn't go last week as had drunk a lot on the Monday. After that I shall stroll - maybe even attempt to walk up to the castle and cathedral (to those in the UK that remember the Hovis ad with the young lad pushing his bike up that steep cobbled road - the road to the castle and cathedral is marginally steeper!)
Ha yes the famous Hovis ad, I've got the music going round in my head, thanks for that!

I was like that yesterday, kept having private little cries. It's good to get it out I guess.

Good luck with the job hunting. Something will come up for you I'm sure.

Wishing you a positive day StartAnew
Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Hi,

Sometimes emotions hit me like that too. I'm not afraid or embarrassed to admit that sometimes I get teary eyed from nowhere.

Have you tried an employment agency? I know they can have a bad reputation but they can be useful in terms of getting you back into the workplace. Sometimes the job starts off as temporary but once the employer sees that you are reliable it can turn into a permanent role?

Strength to you.

Tony
Thank you Tony for your support.

I've registered with most of the agencies in town - sadly the days seem to have gone where you go in and chat with them so they can actually assess you properly, it all seems to be via the computer. Most seem to say on their sites that they will want references but I did go in to one (they had called me to say they had my CV but I missed the call and decided to pop in as I was in town) and explained and they said the same as you - in that they can place in a temporary job and then that could go perm or at least they can then become referee.

I've applied for everything from admin - which is my background - to packing chicken. The only problem with the factory work is that the majority are from eastern Europe Now, I have no problem with that (I was bought up in East London so a whole mix of cultures) but it would mean that I wouldn't be able to join in with any conversations.But work is work!
Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Funtimefranky View Post
Ha yes the famous Hovis ad, I've got the music going round in my head, thanks for that!

I was like that yesterday, kept having private little cries. It's good to get it out I guess.

Good luck with the job hunting. Something will come up for you I'm sure.

Wishing you a positive day StartAnew
Thank you so much and have a good day too
Old 04-18-2017, 01:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Early recovery is like an emotional rollercoaster really. It's our minds and bodies recuperating and renewing

It's very common and will get better - and getting out and about will really help....but of course if it's debilitating or you're worried do see your Dr or counsellor
Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome- keep posting. Support to you.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Haven't thought about that Hovis ad for years! I'm picturing you walking up that hill, right to the top and to a bright future. Things can get better. Stay strong
Old 04-18-2017, 05:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey honeys, I'm hooooommmeeeee !!

I have put off Steep Hill (it's actual name) until tomorrow!

I had a struggle this morning - a few knock backs which started the niggle off. I couple of times during the women's group I could hear the whisper, despite one lady talking about the hell of growing up with an alcoholic mother.

When I left I had to do a little bit of food shopping and the shop sold alcohol and 'the voice' was whispering "one bottle won't hurt, less than normal'. That was when I decided I needed to come straight back home.

Of course having got home I've found the wireless mouse I bought today doesn't work and I need to return it. But that is a job for tomorrow - I don't feel strong enough to risk it.

Thank you all for your support x
Old 04-18-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
under new management

you are doing great, StartAnew

My emotions were all over the place in the early days of recovery. Hang on tight, 'cause this is gonna be so worth it!!!
Old 04-18-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

funny I was having a good day until I got in the car to drive to work.. engine light on.. not good ... so People in Lincoln, UK.... this Dear heart has no references to give.. I have sent her some ideas that may help.. but if you could touch base and arm and arm.. help her get a job.. for as a Band of Brothers and Sisters we can make a better day...
no tears more tea.. golly I need a tea... prayers for a better tomorrow. hit it kids and beans and lets do this.. please ardy in wisconsin
Old 04-18-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As long as you continue to take action to improve your situation, things will come together. I am a guy and do not cry. I found after about a year of sober time my emotions that had been buried for a long time started to surface. Part of the process they tell me. WIshing you the best.