Notices

Another weekend ended poorly

Old 04-17-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another weekend ended poorly

I was doing pretty well last week. I felt positive. Then, I didn't really move on the steps I should have taken - as in going to a meeting, getting rid of all alcohol in the house, journaling, meditating, etc. I basically got cocky and gave in.

My Easter daytime was wonderful, but after having wine with dinner, I had alone time and basically ended up drunk. Hubby was pissed, and I don't blame him. He was the only one to witness it, once again...

I broke down. Told him just how depressed I've been lately, and how I know I have been using alcohol to self-medicate. And that I have been looking into officially quitting. Even after everything, he still doesn't think I need to officially say I'm an alcoholic and go to meetings. I think it's because it will change our dynamic - we used to go out and hang at bars almost every weekend. It's much less often in recent years, but it will be a change, and just like I am scared, so is he. But, he is really worried about my mental health. Depression and anxiety attacks have become more frequent and i'm not hiding it as well as I used to.
I know the trick is to not hide, and to reach out for help. Just venting, saying hi, letting you guys know I'm back.
Why, oh why is this addiction SO damn difficult to kick? It is frustrating me and I just can't wait to get to a point where my mind is free again.
Thanks for listening.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can get there...but anxiety, depression, etc. is only amplified by the alcohol. Eliminate the alcohol for a few months with no excuses and see where you are at?
Old 04-17-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, KM. Glad you are back. You can do this, but it will be a battle every single day. Some days will be easier than others and that's OK. That's what we all call "life." Hang in there!
Old 04-17-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you spoken to your doctor about your depression, KM?

As badger mentioned, alcohol is a depressant and could fuel and contribute to your depression.

As badger suggested, abstaining from alcohol is likely a very good start.

Speaking to your doctor about both issues may be a very good thing.

Stay close; we are here for you.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think giving a therapist a call would be a good plan of action to start. I'm sure you know the alcohol does nothing but make depression and anxiety even worse.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Backing up SoberLeigh's post seeing a Dr

Great time to get plan building
Old 04-17-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

For years I wanted it both ways - to drink, soberly. For alcoholics this is the big lie.

The book of Alcoholics Anonymous says it this way;

No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

Earth people don't understand why we can't simply not drink as much. The thought their drinking pal - spouse, brother, friend etc.......may completely stop drinking scares them.

Alcoholism is impossible to kick if we drink. Reaching out is indeed important. Good job
Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all. There is so much shame attached to this illness. Every time I mess up I feel like a failure and more depressed than before. I look in the mirror and can't recognize the person in it anymore. I don't like myself. If I don't like myself how can I expect others to like me? I know that I am sooo much better than what I have let myself become. I know that I have to get really serious now about a better life, or I will ruin all the great things going now.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KM0816 View Post
Thank you all. There is so much shame attached to this illness. Every time I mess up I feel like a failure and more depressed than before. I look in the mirror and can't recognize the person in it anymore. I don't like myself. If I don't like myself how can I expect others to like me? I know that I am sooo much better than what I have let myself become. I know that I have to get really serious now about a better life, or I will ruin all the great things going now.
KM, don't beat yourself up. I am battling with the same thing -- so I will try to take my own advice! In any event, getting a handle on the anxiety is key. Get treatment. I am.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just can't wait to get to a point where my mind is free again.
It will happen when the alcohol is out of your life. I speak from experience. I wouldn't worry too much about what your husband thinks about your drinking. Others don't understand alcoholism and how it consumes and destroys us. You know what you need to do and that's the important thing.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Two observations:

a) Your husband needs to be consistent in his motivation. He cannot want to hang on to his 'good time girl' when it suits him and get annoyed when you drink and it doesn't. You're not a machine that can be switched off and on like that.

b) Don't be ashamed. As every day goes by I feel less ashamed. I told someone important at work last week in order to explain why I couldn;t attend a social event. To be honest he didn't bat an eyelid. There are so many people with drink problems in the UK that it is almost commonplace.

Tony
Old 04-17-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

About shame and regret.... "I can guarantee you that you have a 0% chance of a better past." With that said, you OWN your future. The beauty of putting down the alcohol. Much support to you.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Not bad trying to be good, but sick trying to get well. Change is readily available unlike many other maladys.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here KM0816 - you can do this!

D