Notices

Fuzzy-headed madness

Old 04-16-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Fuzzy-headed madness

Hello, all....about 53 days ago I quit both marijuana and alcohol, cold turkey, after nearly 40 years of pretty consistent use. Not a blackout drinker or an all-day smoker, but definitely a regular over-indulger. I had HORRIBLE anxiety attacks for the first 6 weeks but they're not as extreme right now.

What's most bothersome at this point is my head - it feels....thick...fuzzy. I feel pressure. I'm starting to think more clearly again, but I can't shake this weird feeling in my head. Am wondering if this is symptomatic of withdrawal - has anyone had this experience? In general, I just don't quite feel like myself. Would love to hear from some of you folks - about how you felt during your early months of recovery.

I started going to AA meetings a few weeks ago - it's the only thing that seems to make me feel better. I rather enjoy them. I've got a sponsor and I am starting on Step One this week. It's all good - I just feel like a bit of a basket case.

Cheers!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi arpedkedarki

all that stuff is pretty normal...I didn't have head pressure or depersonalisation but I definitely was fuzzy and vague....

sometimes it seems to take a long time to lift - I finally felt consistently 'good' around the 3 month mark.

but when you think of it in terms of 40 years using and drinking we get off pretty lightly

Of course, if you're concerned, seeing your Dr is a pretty good way to go.

D
Old 04-16-2017, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by arpedkedarki View Post
Hello, all....about 53 days ago I quit both marijuana and alcohol, cold turkey, after nearly 40 years of pretty consistent use. Not a blackout drinker or an all-day smoker, but definitely a regular over-indulger. I had HORRIBLE anxiety attacks for the first 6 weeks but they're not as extreme right now.

What's most bothersome at this point is my head - it feels....thick...fuzzy. I feel pressure. I'm starting to think more clearly again, but I can't shake this weird feeling in my head. Am wondering if this is symptomatic of withdrawal - has anyone had this experience? In general, I just don't quite feel like myself. Would love to hear from some of you folks - about how you felt during your early months of recovery.

I started going to AA meetings a few weeks ago - it's the only thing that seems to make me feel better. I rather enjoy them. I've got a sponsor and I am starting on Step One this week. It's all good - I just feel like a bit of a basket case.

Cheers!
Mildly.

Mainly sleep issues and memory problems.

It's not surprising though is it? We put our bodies and minds through hell for years and then hope they will get back to 'normal' in weeks?

I think of it like this:

If you ate 5,000 calories a day for 40 years running you would be exceptionally obese - but you wouldn't expect to be a normal weight after three months dieting would you?

I know it's not a perfect analogy by any means but I'm just emphasising 'context'.

It's got to take a while - hasn't it?

Tony
Old 04-16-2017, 10:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

I found the pressure like a towel wrapped tight around my head was to do with unresolved sadness. I have difficulty grieving. What helps me is
1. do the right thing. don't pick up the first drink. be kind to myself and others. excerise, rest, eat properly. don't do anything bad to myself or others.

2. communicate. here, in therapy.

in time, at some point, I grieve. Slowly I learn to do it and the pressure goes.

It takes time but right living, thinking and patient awareness works.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good points, all. It's probably too much to expect that I would feel better so quickly. When I quit pot and alcohol, I also quit coffee, simple carbs, processed foods, sugar - I am eating tons of organic veggies and I'm juicing. I'm exercising (lightly), taking infrared saunas and doing coffee enemas daily. So, I just figured I'd be on the mend already.

Tony, your calories/weight analogy is a good one!

Grympt, your comment about grieving is interesting. No doubt that there is an emotional component to all of this. How were you able to make that connection for yourself?

Thanks for chiming in! Good night.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

That connection came through experience. I was doing Primal Therapy with an ex student of Arthur Janov. Catharsis relieved the pressure. Afterwards I remembered times when I was sad as a child and that pressure went when crying properly. At some point I 'forgot' how to cry and have had to relearn that.

Later Vipassana meditation helped.

It's a bit like AA (and SR) talks about the dirty floor, Primal Therapy mops the floor and Vipassana is like getting down on the knees and scrubbing it clean. From the gross to the subtle.

Right living and right thinking is important.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good one, remember HALTS.