Notices

Cravings

Old 04-14-2017, 11:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings

My inner drunk lied low for the first week of my sobriety but now she's showing up trying to manipulate me into drinking. I don't even want to!

I wish this website worked on my phone when I'm out in the world surrounded by booze stores and triggers. I log in and I see my handle in the names but then when I try to post it says I must log in.

I have to do something really stressful and hard tomorrow and the drunk is telling me to get a bottle to get through it but I don't want to!

I just want that drunk to get lost. Is that ever going to happen?
Old 04-15-2017, 12:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will happen - it's like a weed that you starve...it dies eventually.
I can;t remember my last 'serious' craving

There are some great ideas on cravings here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 04-15-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, that was awesome. Come to think of it, the cravings really don't last that long. She said in the beginning hers were 5-7 minutes. I don't think mine are even that long.

That drunk just keeps showing up. I am only on the start of Day 9, so I'm sure it's to be expected.

I love your weed metaphor. That helps a lot.

CarolD sounds like a great lady.

Best,
Charlotte Wells
Old 04-15-2017, 12:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

CRAVINGS ARE BOTH PHYSICAL AND MENTAL. It takes time and patience. Remember triggers and HALTS. Go to meetings- read the stuff in sticky's, read narratives- there are really good stories to learn from. Keep posting, support to you.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why not just log in on your phone then? If you scroll down a bit you will see the 'see full site' (or something like that) option which makes the site look the same as on your computer.

Getting to AA meetings has been very helpful to me. It means I now have a network of other ladies in recovery who I can text or call if I need some support. It also meant I've been able to have a sponsor guide me through my recovery and help me stay sane when things got tricky.

Keep collecting weapons for your recovery armoury.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 04-15-2017, 02:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 9 Charlotte
Old 04-15-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Things that worked for me in early days:

Eat regularly every 3 hours small protein rich meals

A hot flask of peppermint/chamomile tea to help anxiety/ stress

Exercise small walks with the dog or gentle yoga

Mediation lots of good stuff on YouTube

Breaking routines even driving at night was weird for me in the beginning.

Hobbies drawing go cinema meeting friends anything to take your mind off drinking

And the most important of all absolutely refuse to take a drink I was prepared to die if that's what it took to finally break the addiction I was that committed.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have to check on my friends house and she keeps tons of beer and wine around. She always has like 8 double bottles of red wine and like 20 beers in the fridge, all very easily replaceable.

When I used to go there to check on things, I would bring my own or drink hers and replace it later. It's a trigger.

She's an older lady. I don't really know how much she drinks but I get the feeling it's a lot and it's when she's alone at night. Sometimes when I talk to her she repeats something she just told me 2 minutes earlier as if she's saying it for the first time. Sometimes she gets bent out of shape over nothing. She has a lot of the characteristics of an alcoholic.

Just wanted to share that remembering those things about another (possible) drunk kept me from drinking yesterday. I have to go back tonight and I think I can make it.

I don't want to be a drunk anymore.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

every time you feel anything- too much, like drinking, anger, happuiness- post. All are tigeers for relapse.