Notices

I don't even know what to say.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't even know what to say.

My kid called me a ***** because I took her phone for talking to a 28 yr old. I also caught her sending naked vid or pics. I want to vomit. she's 20 but autistic. .. We had a big fight and she hit me. I'm so depressed.
Does anyone else have autistic kids?
Old 04-14-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marissa41 View Post
My kid called me a ***** because I took her phone for talking to a 28 yr old. I also caught her sending naked vid or pics. I want to vomit. she's 20 but autistic. .. We had a big fight and she hit me. I'm so depressed.
Does anyone else have autistic kids?
This sounds like a very difficult situation. Is there anyway you can talk to the 28 year old? Sounds like the phone may need to go or at least the data so she can't send anymore pic/videos. There are ways to limit her exposure to risky situations. Also there is software out there where can track text/calls/etc. Web Watcher is one. They charge a fee though. Good luck and I hope the best.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

My daughter was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum at 3 years old. She had all the classic signs. No eye contact, tippy toe walking, non verbal, self stimming, parallel play. Today she is an extremely high functioning honor role student but has trouble with social situations and is dealing with depression and thoughts of suicide.

Unfortunately, she is 18, and like yours is at the age of consent. The professionals - even her school - can't and won't deal directly with us. It's a very difficult situation you have. What supports in the community can you turn to? Does she have a resource worker, counselor or community support services?
Old 04-14-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm going to social services to get guardianship.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Marissa,

I don't have a child of my own, but I've been special education teacher for many years, working with lots of autistic kids.

I know how challenging it can be managing their behavior for s six hour school day, so I can't imagine what you must go through the rest of the time.

Do you get any kind of respite through your state or province?
Old 04-14-2017, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

A friend of mine's son had issues too. She ended up getting him into an assisted living situation and out of the house. She's a single mom and had no support in the home.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

She's typically not a bad kid. They can get in a mood though. I think she was sorry she did it because she made me soup last night. We have tickets to see Jeff Dunham for next Sunday and that made her think ut oh!
Old 04-15-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Mine is typically really happy most the time, but when her mood hits, there is no talking to her. She completely shuts down. Sometimes I wish she would act out.

Jeff Dunham? that's cool. Bet is going to be a terrific night.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no advice or any real experience but I am thinking of you and your daughter Marissa

D
Old 04-15-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This might be tough to do.

It would have been easier before she reached the age of 18.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Marissa, I don't know what to say. There's a lot of predators out there. I worry so much how my little boy will cope when he's older with his autism. My biggest fear is him being taken advantage of. I just want to protect him from the world. I'm a high school teacher and I know sexting is a huge problem and young women put themselves in a very vulnerable position. Your daughter is even more vulnerable because she is on the spectrum. You did the right thing. If she won't talk to you about it can you get another adult she trusts to explain to her why it's not ok to be sending these pictures
Old 04-15-2017, 08:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Marissa41 View Post
I'm going to social services to get guardianship.
Having worked with high functional autistic and developmentally disabled teenagers to age 21 this was what I was going to recommend for you to consider. Keep up the good job. It's hard to parent when the hormones are age appropriate and the rest a bit behind chronological age