Notices

Hello from California

Old 04-14-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hello from California

Hi there. I'm new here. I have been on the HAMS - Harm Reduction forum for awhile, and I found a lot of support there. I thought there may be other forums out there that I should check out too.

My short story... I tried to taper. I read the How to Reduce Your Drinking book. My drinking continued to increase. I wouldn't drink in the AM or during the work day, but as soon as 5pm came around, I'd start... stopping at 10pm when I went to bed. Then, I noticed I was feeling sick during the day. I even went to the doctor, thinking it was my BP or low potassium. Fact was, my body crossed a line and I needed alcohol. I was going through daily withdrawals and they were plain awful. This lasted for 12 days straight. One Friday, I tested myself by doing a shot at 5pm after work. All my symptoms were gone. I felt better, but thought... "Oh crap. I'm there. I'm really physically addicted."

As a good addict might, I bargained with myself... "If I can get back to being able to function at work, I can continue." Well, Monday rolled around and was completely sick. I suppose I could have done a shot and headed to work. But instead I was finally ready to admit I was tired of feeling sick and tired. I didn't have a court order. I didn't get a DUI. I didn't ruin relationships. Work performance could have been better, but I was doing fine. I was ready to be done. I checked myself into rehab.

BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE!

I suppose I could have tried to taper at home instead, but my will power wasn't what it once was. My 'mid-brain' had too much influence over my cortex, or frontal lobe. I am lucky. I realized my problem before my world caught on fire. I have been drinking since 5th grade. Binge drinking in HS and College. Continued in moderation and occasional binge throughout my 30's. Then, early 40's I found my love of Scotch and Irish Whiskey. Drank every day for 6 straight years. Drunk each night for the majority of those years. My early years of drinking (when my neurons were forming) + the son of an alcoholic = I too was destined for alcoholism. It's too bad. I like alcohol. But, Social Drinking isn't in my future, and I'm learning sober living.

I successfully completed an IOP program and I learned a lot! Since I left detox, I hadn't struggled with cravings at all. I supposed I was firmly in the pink cloud. That ended when I had a relapse after 220+ days of sobriety. It took only about 2 weeks to get back to where I was drinking wise. I realized what was happening and quit. I suffered through withdrawals for about 36 hours and I haven't looked back since. I'm learned a relapse is pretty typical. It's part of the experience.

Today, I'm still on my sober journey. That includes helping others who were in my same shoes. I don't attend any AA meetings. Nothing at all against AA, just hasn't been my thing for some reason.

I look forward to getting to know ya'll and learn a thing or two.

CaliJohn
Old 04-14-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR CaliJohn

I'm learned a relapse is pretty typical. It's part of the experience.
Not your fault, but I really hate that expression

I understand that a lot of people relapse but I hate to see it normalised.

To me, a relapse is part of my addiction - not of my recovery.
Chalk and cheese.

D
Old 04-14-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and wisdom here.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to SR CaliJohn

Not your fault, but I really hate that expression
I understand that a lot of people relapse but I hate to see it normalised.

To me, a relapse is part of my addiction - not of my recovery.
Chalk and cheese.

D
I don't want to get into a debate about it here, but I've recently read a study on the subject and was surprised to learn that a relapse is rather typical and usually a test of the waters again. That said, I completely understand what you're saying.

Have a great day!
Old 04-14-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, CaliJohn; very glad you found us.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 04-14-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Welcome CaliJohn. And Hello from Canada!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome John!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Good luck, had almost a year before my first relapse. It stinks for sure but just make changes so it doesn't happen again. If itstarts happening more frequently than you need to change your plan.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum John!!