Notices

Old 04-14-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi All
I recently decided to quit drinking at home after a binging since January (mainly wine) 2 bottles (3 at times) 3/4 times a week
Ive completed a week sober and found it reliatively easy once i opened up to my family about my problem and they have helped me since my meltdown last saturday 😢
I found myself waking up still intoxicated caused me to carry on at least once a week not good when i work from home
Is there such a thing as being a social drinker and is it possible after drinking at home for years (just got more regular and extreme since january)

Well done all and i hope you dont mind me asking x
Old 04-14-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you already know the answer!
Old 04-14-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I don't know of anyone who was drinking alcoholically that has been able to be a 'social drinker'. I found it easier to just not drink at all, rather than try to moderate my intake. My life is better sober.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WELCOME- for me, it was drink to get drunk- period. Not just one or for the taste. Friends were just fringe benefits..until they left for good. Keep reading and posting. There are al lot of narratives which will help.
Support to you.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi femaleboss

It wasn't possible for me I'm afraid - and, hate to be a doom sayer but
if you've tried and not succeeded - it may not be possible for you either...?

D
Old 04-14-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I miss being able to drink Socially... actually, I used to miss it. I don't anymore, as I have learned I'm still the same guy, just sober.

I've also learned that because of my abuse, my brain chemistry has changed and moderation or social drinking isn't possible. Abstinence is my solution. Are you there yet? Don't know. But if you're able to reduce your drinking to non-Harm levels, maybe you can be a moderate drinker again. Maybe not. As Carlio61 said, "You already know the answer"

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there,
I, too, was an "at home" wine drinker. After feeling maybe this was "weird" behaviour, I rationalized becoming a "social" drinker and what I found was......I drank just as much "socially" as I did at home. Except NOW I was on display for everybody to see this. If you were going through that much wine at home, as I was, that probably means you can't stop after a few. Before you know it, you've drank a whole bottle, and then you think "Ah, screw it! Might as well open up another." And so on and so on.
My AV still taunts me at times. I'm 70 days in, and it was fairly "easy" for me, also, to the point my AV tells me "see! you're FINE. you're NOT an alcoholic!"
But I know better. Just try and think through those voices telling you "social drinking" is ok. Stay strong. This is a battle, and you are a Warrior!
Much luck and love
Old 04-15-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Femaleboss!!
Old 04-15-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How is it going today, femaleboss.

Very glad you found us. Welcome.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Welcome. Social drinking didnt work for me either.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

2 to 3 bottles of wine every night for months on end right here FemaleBoss.

I would have two glasses of wine in the pub (max) and then I would sink at least two bottles at home. I can also work from home at times too.

Welcome to the forum. I have found posting and reading here quite helpful during my 19 days sobriety so far. I know you'll find it helpful too.

Strength to you.

Tony
Old 04-15-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Fema,

Welcome.

I'll chime in...

The fact that you are asking the question is half the battle...you are concerned before something bad has happened.

I quit because I began having anxiety attacks that scared me too death. I was a dead man walking as well. Over weight, high bp etc.

You will likely see...as you try to stop maintaining a level of booze in your brain and body...and you go more and more days clean...you will get out of drinking practice. You will begin to kindle if you haven't already.

Your entire beings chemistry has adapted, but still under major stress, to the booze you ingest.

There is stress relief, no magic, no life style status, no persona, no celebration, no mourning, no meeting etc etc........there is but one thing for all of us here....

Addiction.

Just like a crack head.

I drank harder than you at some points, less than you at other points...eventually my body and brain began to fall apart.

It was sad and pathetic for me to think I lived the major part of my life as an active addict...but I am over that.

I have given up booze....I hate the stuff...I love sobriety. I still crave, but not like I did when I was 1 year clean. I bet at 3 years it will be even less.

Get clean stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you

Wow thank you all so much

Im doing great i love my energy levels and been to gym 4 times this week so far, so hopefully my next addiction is Gym and fitness !! Ive gained around 2.5 stone im so embarrased about my weight im 12.5lb after being 10stone for years and healthy is taking it toll (ive gained over 2yrs)
I am totally scared of the fact i will go back to getting paralytic whilst out as i drank to get drunk not be fun i wish it was the other way around i really do
If i cant do it then i will simply stay sober as im never going back to how i felt last saturday morning
Im sat here watching films on Netflix normally i could never tell you what happened at the end of a film now im totally aware and pink lemonade is refreshing lol
All jokes a side i want to congratulate each and every one of you xx

Lets keep this going and beat this 💕
Old 04-15-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlito61 View Post
I think you already know the answer!
I think i do thank you 😊
Old 04-15-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi femaleboss

It wasn't possible for me I'm afraid - and, hate to be a doom sayer but
if you've tried and not succeeded - it may not be possible for you either...?

D
Ive always drank to get drunk but now i never want to feel like i did its almost as if im scared to drink a at all
However if im out and drinks flowing that could change
At this stage of my sobriety i think il stay clear altogether

Thank you
Old 04-15-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Is there such a thing as being a social drinker

Nope. Not if you are an alcoholic.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I certainly would never sit at home drowning my non existing sorrows into several bottles of wine again its sad and a lonely place to be thank you so much

I have no intentions drinking again im quite happy (rephrase that) ecstatic feeling alive again...... just need to sort the silly sleeping pattern out any ideas how to fix ? I keep waking up at 4.50am for an hour then fall back to sleep until my alarm it's frustrating now

Well done all