Notices

Day 32 heads still a mess

Old 04-14-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 32 heads still a mess

Hi all on day 32 went out for a meal with the family but still feel so isolated unable to relax and have a laugh i thought my anxiety would have calmed down by now? I have been going to smart meetings and am serious about my sobriety just i can't help but feel so cut off from the world does this get better over time?
Old 04-14-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

For me it got better over time .
At 32 days i think i was avoiding THAT aisle in the supermarket we have here in the uk, not even looking down it ..
I also had a phase where I got quite angry about how much advertising or product placement there was in general & on tv shows and films about drink and people drinking .

Confidence and a certain amount of relaxation has come over time , there is no hard and fast timescale , for me i felt reasonably comfortable around others drinking where drinking wasn't the main focus of the get together after 6 months to a year .. I always ensure i have a get out , the car keys and am not beholden by being a nominated driver or giving lifts to drunks, nothing comes between me and my sobriety.

even after 6 years sober i still don't go to events where drink is the main event , if it's a leaving do i will pass by and have a fizzy water ..

keep on

m
Old 04-14-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gu Alex - we;re all different and our trek back to feeling good is diofferent too. I was struggling for the first 30 days but things got better from there and by 90 days I was feeling pretty good - stay focused and keep the faith - you're doing the right thing

D
Old 04-14-2017, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Alex,

I'm nearly 2 years clean and I still get in situations where I feel out of sorts and want a drink to settle down.

Today while golfing I was ready to drink after the round. It was stressful.

In the first year is was worse. It gets better and better, but the feelings cycle based on diet, sleep, health etc etd.

It takes clean time.

I have all the time in the world because I hate booze and wil never drink again.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Simply put yes it gets a lot better that I can promise
Old 04-15-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me it took years of drinking myself to the point where I made the decision of changing my life, and so digging myself out took some time, longer than a few months before I started to adjust physically, mentally and emotionally!!

Give it more time, you'll get there!!
Old 04-15-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes. Much, much better. Keep at it.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It gets so, so much better. Promise. The time is different for everyone and I was very sick when I quit so it was like the alcohol went through and out of my body in stages from head to toe. Not drinking and time, and taking ever better care of myself, got me on the right path.

You can do this.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anxiety sucks

I too suffered anxiety and one point a major panic attack
Im only 7 days in so well done on 32 days i havent had anxiety since last sunday so it was most certainly down to alcohol
I hope it will improve soon maybe visit your dr and ask for some low mg tabs for anxiety im on citroplam (check spelling) they work great (obv not when drinking) they take the edge off when taking sober
I absolutely love my energy levels gym helps too
Keep strong you are doing great x
Old 04-16-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Alex - congrats on your time sober, thats great! As others have said, it takes longer for some to feel better. I tried to predict when that time would be for me, and I was disappointed at a few milestones. I also suffered from pretty bad anxiety and some drepression early on, and I did not know how to cope with my feelings. I had 6 months sober before I truly started to feel better, but it did not happen on its own, I had to take action and start living life. Good luck to you, stay sober and good things will start to happen.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How are you today?
Old 04-16-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA Member

heres a chip for ya

Old 04-16-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Alex?
Old 04-16-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I feel the same way after 37 days. My anxiety and depression has been so high it stops me from functioning.

It wasn't nearly this bad in the first two weeks cause I knew what I had to do. Now that I have the time to contemplate, I sit and think about the future it has pushed my anxiety to the ceiling. The mistakes I've made in the past have caused my depression to sink me into a deep hole.

Everyone says it will get better with time so I'm trying to be patient as possible.

What I realized is that I need to learn new ways to deal with anxiety/depression. I would usually take a drink to "take off the edge". I have yet to find a good way to cope.

I feel the same way you do.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Exercise helps me with the anxiety and depression. I can literally feel the difference when I miss a day. Even if its only for 20-30 minutes, it makes a big difference....it's like a switch has been flipped and my self esteem jumps up a few notches. BLOOP... I'm ready to face the day.

Keep pressing forward and you'll begin to feel better. If not, as some have suggested, see your doctor.

Congratulations to both of you (Alex & Flashback)...30+ days of sobriety is impressive.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have anxiety- after 14 months sober. It takes me very hard work and planned thinking and behaviour with support to change.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It does get better over time IF WE WORK ON OUR RECOVERY.

I spent a good 6 months sitting there booze free, ratting with a tsunami of negative feelings and thoughts wishing I could just die. Then I started taking advise seriously, and got a plan and worked on my recovery every day. That was when I started to feel better, just sitting there waiting for the sobriety fairy to fly over and sprinkle me with her recovery dust got me nowhere. So yes, time makes a difference, but only if we're willing to make some changes and put the work into our recovery as well.

Wishing everyone all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB