Notices

Almost One Year Sober - First AA Meeting Today!

Old 04-13-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost One Year Sober - First AA Meeting Today!

After I posted here recently during a work trip where I felt the pull of alcohol very strongly, I realised that although I am generally doing well with not letting alcohol cross my lips, I am kind of stuck on the recovery side.

I haven't really grown lately. I am full of self-pity and not especially full of gratitude, I am withdrawing from people and isolating myself. Work is amazing, but very stressful. Although it is good to be sober, my sobriety is built on some rickety foundations.

So I decided to do something different and went to my first AA meeting this lunchtime! And WOW! I still don't entirely know what to make of it, but something felt good about it. I wonder if it was a sense of coming home. I'm not sure. I will definitely go to another meeting.

I'm not sure entirely what I am trying to say here. I am just glad I listened to the warning klaxon in my head, and came back here to post during my struggles on my work trip, after a few months not even visiting the site. I am still sober and now have the opportunity to shore up those rickety foundations, whether with AA, or with other tools I need to work on.

Many thanks, as ever, to this great community.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on your sobriety! I love my AA home group. Definitely can help shore up your "rickety" foundations.

Way to Go!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 04-13-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberFreckles View Post

So I decided to do something different and went to my first AA meeting this lunchtime! And WOW! I still don't entirely know what to make of it, but something felt good about it. I wonder if it was a sense of coming home. I'm not sure. I will definitely go to another meeting.

Good. Sounds like you're ready for the next stage in your life. Very good.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to the fellowship.Good to have you with us.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sober,

I don't think i would have quit drinking if it were not for the horrible anxiety attacks, high bp, spatial, anger issues etc etc. I am addicted.

Just quitting to quit was impossible.

The addiction is for life. I remember and crave the euphoria of my drunkard ways. I try to forget the hell and pathetic process i endured for thousands of binges and detoxes.

There is no fun for me in being an active addict.

My new fun is the awesome confidence of sobriety.

While every solution doesn't present itself naturally, i am able to deal w life now as i was designed.

Stay clean. There is no glamorous end to being a drunk. There is only weaknesss and regret.

F booze.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Grats SF
Old 04-13-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovered

I have found that the triangle of AA: unity, service, and recovery are cornerstones for a happy and free life.

Glad you are here!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I felt a sense of coming home when I found the fellowship of AA as well. One man I know described it as "finding my clan". He says that when he has a bad day all he has to do is close his eyes and imagine himself in one of his favourite meetings with his clan and everything seems manageable again. I've tried it as well and it works for me as well.

Glad you got something from it. There are lots of AA speaker recordings which can be useful as well, if yiu feeling rickety and can't get to a meetings too quickly. I use this website (all free and don't have to register or anything )... http://www.recoveryaudio.org/

Welcome the fellowship, from a UK AAer.

BB
Old 04-13-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

1 Year is fantastic SoberFreckles!!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you found it beneficial SF

D