How do you detach and maintain a marriage?

Old 04-12-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you detach and maintain a marriage?

I believe I get what detaching is and why it's important, but man is it hard when your own life circumstances depend on someone else's choices. He had a 2 week relapse on crack after 8 years and has now been clean again for 4 weeks. I'm proud of him for that, though it concerns me that he doesn't seem to be working any kind of program. I don't mention that to him. His recovery is on him, not on me. I don't think that I display a lot of codependent/enabling characteristics, but to be fair I only had 2 weeks of this to screw me up. I don't check up on him or go through his phone or anything like that.

We do talk a lot about our feelings some days and other days just relax around each other. No, that's a lie. I mostly fake relaxing more than I actually relax. I have a constant low-grade anxiety. It's not just about him relapsing, it's about everything that goes with that. Yes, I could survive without him and I know that no matter how horrible the heartbreak, I would get through it. That is still quite a pain to have hovering in the air like a dark cloud on the horizon. I'm pretty sure that I'd lose my house as that would be challenging to afford on my own. My kids have been really happy with where we live and with him as a stepdad, so they would be hurt emotionally and lower their standard of living.

This is awfulizing or something, right? I'm supposed to do one day at a time, right? I think this is so challenging for me because I was a single mom for a decade and even when it was hard, I handled it. I had it under control because I had to. I had to make the money, budget everything, and be in control and responsible because they had no one else to do it for them. It was scary for me to mingle my life with my husband because I was trusting someone else to be a part of my and my kids' stability. Whew. If this doesn't work out, I may never be able to do that again.

Maybe I'm a control freak? How do you truly detach when that person's actions affect the very bedrock of your life?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just wanted to peak in and say I totally get this. I struggle with this all the time, sometimes more than others. Right now is hard, but I was honest with my AH over the last couple of years (ugh that's disgusting to think about) since he started trying to get sober - I've told him I don't know how many starts and stops I have in me and that I feel like everytime I have to "check out" it pushes us farther apart.

It just plain sucks, and I wish it was easier.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wheresmyunicorn View Post
Just wanted to peak in and say I totally get this. I struggle with this all the time, sometimes more than others. Right now is hard, but I was honest with my AH over the last couple of years (ugh that's disgusting to think about) since he started trying to get sober - I've told him I don't know how many starts and stops I have in me and that I feel like everytime I have to "check out" it pushes us farther apart.

It just plain sucks, and I wish it was easier.
Yeah, I hear that. I feel like I don't have many of these in me. Maybe not even one more before I won't be able to "check back in". It seems like if you have to detach from your spouse for your emotional safety, that alone is a sign that the marriage is on very shaky ground if not doomed, right? Ugh. What a mess. And you've had 2 years of it. I know you've definitely been through more than you ever needed to.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

even tho it is unpleasant to think about, developing a plan B can really help ease the stress. plus you get to feel like you are doing something positive and proactive. and it's a good exercise for our financial well being.

so you fire up Excel and start building a budget. or dust one off. update all the figures, list all the bills, estimate recurring needs like food, gas, soccer fees, etc. it's the only way to truly know what is needed to make ends meet.

can any of those expenses be reduced? do we need the 1000 megagig phone plan? do we need every channel broadcast on the planet? are we shopping wisely? do we plan menus and shop for the week ahead? is our credit under control?

is refinancing an option? if it comes to pass that you two split, you need to get him off the mortgage and refinance is one way to do it. would you gain at least a full 1% on the rate?

i could go on....this can become quite the adventure!
Old 04-12-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Deelilah.....Maybe, it would help to know the "odds".
Odds are, that it won't last the lifetime that you want, if he isn't in some kind of program and working it diligently as a priority.....like, become a part of his lifestyle....
Doesn't mean that you have to push him there, and monitor him, etc...
But you will KNOW what you have to do and plan on...you will have that knowledge....
Then, you can proceed with what Anvill suggests...whether you stay or have to go....
Living, waiting for the next shoe to drop is no way to live, in my opinion.....
By the way...I think that the quality of living is more important that the standard of living......
Old 04-12-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree with Anvil too, having a Plan B in place will help you relax.

Also, now is the time to protect your accounts and your credit...put your money and cards in your name, and he can have his own without your name attached to it.

After 8 years of sobriety, he knows it's the better choice and I hope this was just one slip and not the beginning of more to come.

Take care of yourself and your kids.

Hugs
Old 04-13-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
even tho it is unpleasant to think about, developing a plan B can really help ease the stress. plus you get to feel like you are doing something positive and proactive. and it's a good exercise for our financial well being.

so you fire up Excel and start building a budget. or dust one off. update all the figures, list all the bills, estimate recurring needs like food, gas, soccer fees, etc. it's the only way to truly know what is needed to make ends meet.

can any of those expenses be reduced? do we need the 1000 megagig phone plan? do we need every channel broadcast on the planet? are we shopping wisely? do we plan menus and shop for the week ahead? is our credit under control?

is refinancing an option? if it comes to pass that you two split, you need to get him off the mortgage and refinance is one way to do it. would you gain at least a full 1% on the rate?

i could go on....this can become quite the adventure!
Ooh! A new obsession that will help regardless! I'm halfway there, but I definitely have begun to get wiser about finances lately! Lol, how did you just make all that sound exciting?
Old 04-13-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I agree with Anvil too, having a Plan B in place will help you relax.

Also, now is the time to protect your accounts and your credit...put your money and cards in your name, and he can have his own without your name attached to it.

After 8 years of sobriety, he knows it's the better choice and I hope this was just one slip and not the beginning of more to come.

Take care of yourself and your kids.

Hugs
We haven't combined any accounts other than our phones, so that's a good thing in this case. We had discussed combining more stuff, but that's on hold indefinitely. I'm feeling a little more positive today. Yesterday was a good day. I'm with you, I hope it was just one slip and he's getting back on track. He did it for 8 years. He knows how to do it. I know he wants to do it. He was really disappointed in himself once he regained his sanity. I think I really will feel better if a few months go by and I'm more prepared with Plan B.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Deelilah.....Maybe, it would help to know the "odds".
Odds are, that it won't last the lifetime that you want, if he isn't in some kind of program and working it diligently as a priority.....like, become a part of his lifestyle....
Doesn't mean that you have to push him there, and monitor him, etc...
But you will KNOW what you have to do and plan on...you will have that knowledge....
Then, you can proceed with what Anvill suggests...whether you stay or have to go....
Living, waiting for the next shoe to drop is no way to live, in my opinion.....
By the way...I think that the quality of living is more important that the standard of living......
Yeah, that's what scares me. He was definitely more recovery-minded when I met him and I can see looking back now how he let himself relax too much about all that. I feel like he's mostly just abstaining right now. And yeah, you have a good point. This house might be nicer than what I could afford on my own, but if this situation turned into regular relapsing, I doubt I'd care that I'd be going back to my former standard of living. I'd just be relieved to get out from under the constant stress and pain. It was only 2 weeks, but it was an eye-opening experience. I got a real reality check on that one. I had plenty of happy times in an old crappy apartment.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you weren't living in a tent under an overpass, were you?

you make it sound like the difference between a castle and a mud hut!!

remember the saying - home is where the HEART is.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

you weren't living in a tent under an overpass, were you?

you make it sound like the difference between a castle and a mud hut!!

remember the saying - home is where the HEART is.
Ha ha, no. I had a decent house in my first marriage and my ex was so irresponsible with money that I wound up losing everything, bankruptcy and all. It doesn't take drug problems for that to happen. I just don't want the kids to go through round 2, I guess. Hey look kids, mom has you in a nice house! Whoops, downsizing to mobile homes and crappy apartments. Hey, got a nice house again! Yay! Oops...mommy boo-booed once more. Eh, whatever. If I lose it all again, I'll build it back up again but this time on my own and with something I don't risk losing due to someone else being unable to keep it together. Man it gets old having to be the responsible one. I think the day my youngest kid moves out, I'm gonna take a week off of work and just sleep.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deelilah View Post
If I lose it all again, I'll build it back up again
NOT a boo boo!!! That demonstrates strength, courage, and determination and your kids will always remember that it's possible to overcome life's obstacles
Old 04-13-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
NOT a boo boo!!! That demonstrates strength, courage, and determination and your kids will always remember that it's possible to overcome life's obstacles
Whew, it would be tough to think of it as not a boo boo! I guess it could be an example of mommy having bad judgment and that it's possible to overcome life's obstacles at the same time. I thought (and still hope) that this is a good example for them relationship, but time will tell on that one. Other than this, we don't argue and are really loving towards one another. No one who knows us saw this coming. I certainly didn't. I'm hoping he keeps it together and I don't have to face Plan B. Still gonna make that plan, though.

I'll re-read your post a bunch if Plan B becomes a reality, though. Thank you for that!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

on Monday my 34 yr old daughter and I went to the Home Opener for the Mariners, something we do every year. along with the Mom's Day game, if they are playing at home.

my daughter had just gone to the first weekend of the horse races at Emerald Downs.....on our drive to the game she "reminded" me of the time when she was 12 and we were at the track as a family and she wanted to place a bet on a horse that had the same name as her best friend's CAT. i said no. because the betting windows were CLOSED for that race, it was too close to post time.

all SHE knew at 12 was that mom had said NO. and she remembers this "offense" of mine, on the LIST of offenses she has against me 22 years later.

she doesn't HATE me for it. but she remembers. as she remembers when we sold the house with the POOL. she doesn't HATE me as a mother....she loves and respects me today.....but lord does she recall my transgressions!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

on Monday my 34 yr old daughter and I went to the Home Opener for the Mariners, something we do every year. along with the Mom's Day game, if they are playing at home.

my daughter had just gone to the first weekend of the horse races at Emerald Downs.....on our drive to the game she "reminded" me of the time when she was 12 and we were at the track as a family and she wanted to place a bet on a horse that had the same name as her best friend's CAT. i said no. because the betting windows were CLOSED for that race, it was too close to post time.

all SHE knew at 12 was that mom had said NO. and she remembers this "offense" of mine, on the LIST of offenses she has against me 22 years later.

she doesn't HATE me for it. but she remembers. as she remembers when we sold the house with the POOL. she doesn't HATE me as a mother....she loves and respects me today.....but lord does she recall my transgressions!
Yeah, I'm sure mine have a list a mile long of stuff like that too, like not letting them keep that kitty who keeps visiting us. Good point. They will still love me. Maybe they'll learn from me what not to do on some of these things too. I guess I can be an object lesson, lol.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello Deelilah
Your story starts as mine when I was married to my 'problem drinker'. Life became molded around us as a family. I eventually went to Alanon, to gain my own perspective and learn how to manage my life. I realized that I was preparing for the day when we were no longer together. It was sad but I had two children that are so much more important than any other living person. It took years but I made it. The stresses in my life switched but definitely saved me. I no longer worked around him. He didn't command my constant devotion. I lightened the load that I carried around. It was exhausting.

I came here years ago, because I had to learn about addiction and how to free myself from a man who was using heroin. The sanity I gained, saved me again.

Do not spend too much time being afraid to make a new start. The wasted energy is daunting. It steals time and love from your child/children. From your today and your tomorrows. Their tomorrows.

Older and hopefully wiser ... I will remind myself, that there is no one like our parents or our children. They make this life of ours soooo worth it. I wish you peace and strength as you walk this path. You will survive. Show your children how it's done. Hugs to you, Joie
Old 04-14-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you, Joie! You're right, no one is more important than our children. We have to make them our priorities.