Notices

Finding it really hard today

Old 04-10-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding it really hard today

Currently on day 3 after a slip. Trying to clean up my house to stay off the smokes as well. Problem is not really up to doing anything. My account is overdrawn which is causing me anxiety. Just so tired. Ulcer pain is back. Noone has sympathy just think I am hopeless for still drinking a little and not giving up the smokes. Has anyone else had this problem of taking ages to recover on giving up? I'm 49 and have binge drunk for 15 years.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
Has anyone else had this problem of taking ages to recover on giving up? I'm 49 and have binge drunk for 15 years.
Yes, most of us took a long time to quit. I drank for the better part of 25 years, and there are people who drank for much longer than I.

Bottom line though is that it's never too late. All the things you list will all be made worse if you drink...every single one of them. Instead of trying to solve them all at once, just concentrate on what you can control today, right now. Not drinking definitely falls into that category. If you are tired, take a nap...that's pretty easy too. If you feel like drinking talk to us about it ....it's free and you have a ton of support available 24/7.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sweet,

I got down on my knees and prayed to God.

If you believe you have tried everything, try some blind faith in a higher power.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing great on day 3... it might not feel like it but you are. Stop beating yourself up some people and by that I mean a lot of people don't ever make it so give yourself a little credit & also it would be a good idea to ring and book an appointment with your dr
Old 04-10-2017, 09:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

depends on your definition of ages sweetichick - it took me 3 months to feel ok again..which in one sense is a long time, but I drank and smoked weed and cigs for 20 years or more, so 3 months was pretty good really.

I know it's hard when the bank balance is in the red, but you have support here 24/7 - use it.

Can you get to meetings?

D
Old 04-10-2017, 10:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on making it to day 3. Things can only get better including your ulcer if you keep the momentum going
Old 04-11-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys. Took a nap. I'm glad you think 3 days is good. That's encouraging. I have only a tiny bit of petrol left but there's a meeting in the next suburb tomorrow. So I am definitely going this time. Nights are so long and boring and I need the added support.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

support offered
Old 04-11-2017, 01:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys. Took a nap. I'm glad you think 3 days is good. That's encouraging. I have only a tiny bit of petrol left but there's a meeting in the next suburb tomorrow. So I am definitely going this time. Nights are so long and boring and I need the added support.
Good idea. Those meetings can really help.

BB
Old 04-11-2017, 02:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Isn't it really stupid of me to have got into this mess financially or is it just what alcoholics do?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
nmd

Currently on day 3 after a slip. Trying to clean up my house to stay off the smokes as well. Problem is not really up to doing anything. My account is overdrawn which is causing me anxiety. Just so tired. Ulcer pain is back. Noone has sympathy just think I am hopeless for still drinking a little and not giving up the smokes. Has anyone else had this problem of taking ages to recover on giving up? I'm 49 and have binge drunk for 15 years.
Not being up to anything is ok and normal. If cleaning up gives you a distraction go for it, but don't be afraid to give yourself a break

It took me 2 and a half years before I hit my final day one, with many years of drinking and struggling before that. Relapse is so hard on the spirit and body though. Anything you can do to help yourself stay sober today is worth it!

Sending support and well wishes your way!
Old 04-11-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Isn't it really stupid of me to have got into this mess financially or is it just what alcoholics do?
For the most part, it's what we do - from spending the money actually on alcohol, to making poor spending choices while drinking, financial issues are definitely a symptom, not to mention the alcoholics who are underemployed, underachievers at work or who are unemployed/unemployable.

A sober veteran friend (10+ years) recommends that alcohol be the first addiction to conquer; smoking is not good for any of us, but alcohol is the immediate threat (unless of course you have severe respiratory issues), and should be dealt with first. Quitting both at first is a terribly daunting task, and you might want to get other opinions, but that's my two cents.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey sweet chick,
I think the most important thing is to not give up. For me each attempt made me a little smarter and stronger. Sobriety got a little closer each time. I haven't been sober all that long but I know it's for good this time.

You can do it. Three days is great . Just keep at it one day at a time. We are here for you.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sweetichick,

Let go of the notion that you can drink. SURRENDER to the fact that alcohol can't be in your system. It's never too late to have a sober, happy life.