Notices

Alternatives to sugar

Old 04-10-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
All is Change

Alternatives to sugar

to cope with cravings...

for example:

- put a handful of almonds in a bowl of water and let soak for a few hours.

This loosens the skin and it comes off fairly easily then pop blanched almond in mouth to chew. One at a time. Tasty. No weight gain. Time and cravings pass.

- put a heap of popping corn, no salt or oil, in a plastic rice cooker in the microwave for about two minutes. put in bowl for snacking.

- microwave a lot of pappadums spread out on plate in microwave for 1 minute.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some good tips Grymt, nuts are my fav snack option!!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

Yes, a pocket full of nuts is good.

I find that if I get stuck on the sugar craving mill these no sugar alternatives get me out of it again.

Other things : dried fruit and a lot of ripe fruit contain a lot of sugar so I try to avoid those. It's difficult. I've been bingeing on peaches. So nice but so moreish and with my addictive habits I overdo it and then when they are out of season I look for something else sugary. Best to keep off it altogether. Fortunately I've developed a dairy intolerance so it's easy to say no to ice cream.

I find that when I stick to these simple alternatives my palate drastically refines and I find almonds and corn sweet enough.

I bake my own whole rye meal bread and a slice of that with a no sugar spread is nice. I cook all my own food. No processed foods at all. It's good. Soothes my guts and my mind.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing, Grymt. Sugar habits are hard to break. Having a good alternative is very helpful.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
All is Change

I was hoping there'd be other suggestions. I didn't realise how much a sugar addiction can be part of recovery until I started reading stories about it here glorifying sugar as a recovery aid while it packs on the pounds and I assume contributes negatively to health. It's not just weight loss to be concerned about. Damage to teeth, diabetes and probably lots of other health degradations. All to be dealt with tomorrow.

There must be a better way.

Perhaps it is time to understand some addiction fundamentals.