What is it like to be on the street?

Old 04-10-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is it like to be on the street?

My alcoholic sister has progressed in her disease where she has left her home and is now in another town and I think she might be on the street. I am not sure. She left her house because she has no money and I guess she is somewhere where she can mooch alcohol off others or I don't know what. I am afraid for her safety. My beautiful sister and best friend. This is a tragedy. I haven't seen her in a couple of weeks. She met drug addicts in rehab and now I'm afraid she is taking drugs. Addiction is horrible and a tragedy and life doesn't have to be this way. I always have hope but sometimes, oftentimes I am devastated for my sister.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, PlentyGood. Sorry to hear about your trouble. I don't know from experience what it is like to be homeless,but there are other posters to this site who have lost loved ones to addiction and homelessness. I imagine they will check in.
Again, so sorry. This is a tough one.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Plenty! My son has been homeless at least 3 times. He finds ways to support his habit, a lot of times, the addicts pool their money and get a hotel room, then hang out until they have to commit their next crime for the next time. He has slept in cars of others, he has slept in tweaker camps and he has slept in beds under roofs of other addicts. The thing is, I am always horrified at the thoughts of what he is doing, but he finds this the NORM. Homelessness is part of the sickness and they all band together (for the most part) for the common cause of supporting their addiction.
It always falls apart down the line though. Maybe letting her go and experiencing all the things that will occur with her choice of being homeless will further her understanding of what her life has become? It is SO HARD I know.
Hugs
TT
Old 04-13-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies. Appreciate it and hugs to you TT.

My sister came home. Her house is close to mine. She has no internet or cable, and is about to lose power and water, and she is upset about that, which boggles the mind because she's about to be dead from her progressive alcoholism. She is more concerned that she doesn't have a phone.

When she disappears for a length of time I start to worry, and I imagine horrible scenarios. She came over to visit today (I watch her son after school until his father picks him up) and she stayed about an hour. It is rare for her to come over. It is rare for her to ask about her son or to thank me. Today she thanked me for watching her son. I don't expect thanks. I know she's an addict and self-absorbed. I don't expect anything and I know I want to know if she's alive for my own selfish reasons. I want to know if she is okay so I can stop worrying, which is codependent, right? I don't know.

I am concerned for her health and well-being. I tell her I love her and I worry for her. I told her she can visit anytime. I don't know if that is the right thing or not. I don't mind her visiting. She asked for food and I offered to make her scrambled eggs and toast, or something else that appealed, and she said she could only stomach one piece of toast. She has no money. She has not been eating. She has sold almost everything and the drug-addicted guy who was using her is gone now that the money is gone.

I want to say, "Stay here with me. I'll make dinner and we'll watch movies" but I know that she would not do that. She had to leave to drink. It's really surreal and shocking and heartbreaking and a tragedy. You should see my sister. She is wonderful and beautiful and has so much to be grateful for but she is killing herself.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will pray for her and you and your kin.
Hugs
TT
Old 04-15-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am sorry about your sister, how sad it is to watch someone we love self-destruct.

My son has been homeless many times, I suspect he still is today. One time when he left a men's shelter to go to detox and then to a rehab, I had to go to the shelter to pick up his things. The Salvation Army man took me upstairs to the sleeping area and where my son slept to get what was his (and leave what was not). He talked to me while I packed up my son's few belongings and I learned that it was the shelter that hooked him up with a rehab and that there were counselors there to try to help those who needed assistance. I've never been afraid of the street since.

Your sister may find a shelter, or somewhere else to continue her drinking. But this losing her home and having nothing may actually bring her closer to reaching out for help. I pray it does.

Prayer is pretty much all we have, but it's what keeps me sane every day, knowing that God can do for my son what I cannot.

Hugs
Old 04-16-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Ann. I appreciate your comments and I hope losing her house, car, etc. will be what it takes to get some help.

Hugs to you and thank you again.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Support and empathy to you and your sis.