Notices

Finally Found a Meeting

Old 04-10-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Found a Meeting

Hello All,

I've posted before about my failed attempts to find an AA meeting that I felt comfortable in. My previous attempts were not my kind of atmosphere.

Very recently a friend reached out after he found out I was sober and we discussed the meeting he attends. It is a Wednesday evening meeting that is closed (He had to explain the difference to me. For those of you that don't know it means they don't sign slips for the court, so everyone that is there wants to be there and isn't being made to attend by the Law. Open meetings sign slips.) and that I will feel comfortable there.

I require some sort of community or commonality with the other attendees. He explained that it is an upbeat, positive meeting reinforcing the benefits of sobriety.

I'm looking forward to it..
Old 04-10-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alan I am so happy for you!

I never knew that was the difference between open and closed meetings.

Let us know what it's like after you go! :-)
Old 04-10-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Alan!

I'm glad you found a meeting that works for you. Keep going back!

Where I am from, "open" meetings are for anyone who is interested. "Closed" meetings are only for alcoholics. All meetings will sign court papers.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the meeting helps you.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alan I am so glad you were able to find a meeting. I know it took me about a year and a half to find somewhat regular, accessible meetings for me to get to. It made such a huge difference for me.

In our area it is the same as Coldfusion described. I go to a lot of open meetings because I have to bring my daughter with me. I am fortunate enough to live in a fairly small city so the core group of people are understanding and don't turn away those with children at closed meetings.
(I think) community is so important in recovery, in life in general. I hope the meetings are of great value to you