Notices

Hello from Corinda

Old 04-09-2017, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello from Corinda

Hi All
This is my first post but i signed up a couple of yrs ago I guess I just was not ready to come and say hi – wow I just saw that the last time I visited this site was Jan 2014 where did those 3 years go – I know - where they always go.

About me
Female from Oz mid 40’s daily drinker - poison of choice – Beer – only because I have totally barred everything else. I am not sober yet but have made improvements and am currently debating rehab or just tapering off and quitting still spinning that one around but I really need to do something – I just can’t spend another 20+ years doing the same thing. I did quit for 6 months about 10 years ago and felt fabulous - but this time – I just can’t pick that date I am hoping tomorrow is my day 1 - guess I will let you know tomorrow.
Thanks for reading.
Cx
Old 04-09-2017, 12:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it. Don't make a big production of it... just stop. I don't remember my last beer. I didn't savor it....didn't save the bottle, . . didn't take any selfies of my last beer...I just stopped. Don't overthink it, just stop.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Corinda
Old 04-09-2017, 12:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Corinda! Good luck and stay strong you can do it. I would suggest looking into a formal plan such as AA or SMART.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Corinda,

Sobriety is a beautiful gift. It's a life changer. Its nothing short of amazing.

You've really got to want it though Corinda. Hope doesn't work too well without firm action.

Good luck to you, you're going to love the new you. :-)
Old 04-09-2017, 02:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Corinda - glad you posted. You'll find a lot of support here - a few Aussies around too

D
Old 04-09-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Corinda. A good time to stop. My empathy and support to you.
Even if you are from Sydney (silly, interstate pretend rivalry humour, haha).

Remember HALTS- that is if Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired or Sad- do something about it or get someone involved who can help. Thirst, hunger, lack of sleep- all can be triggers for emotions, feeling anxiety- which are triggers for drinking.
Keep posting- especially when you do not want to and drinking seems so much more attractive- 'cos it is not. PJ
Old 04-09-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

If you're waiting for the day to roll around when it's going to be easy, you're in for a long wait. But that's okay. It doesn't need to be easy. It is possible. You can do it. Why put it off?

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 04-09-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Corinda!!
Old 04-10-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi All,
Thanks so much for the welcome and the tips.
Last night was very quiet - only had about 8 mid beers – way less than my normal consumption and felt pretty good this morning.
But my mind is just killing me – the stupid talk started this morning on the drive to work, I normally don’t have this talk until the drive home – you know the talk “are we drinking today, do we have enough booze, are you sure that’s enough to get through the night” FFS - its only 5 hours till kill.
I need to make some plans, goals and changes. I keep thinking back to the last time I was sober but the circumstances were very different – my marriage had just broken down and I was scared to drink, scared of how bad it would get.
So my ponderings are
Do I totally need to change my life to get sober? but then when all calmed down I took up drinking again so not sure that’s the answer.
Last time I saw a counsellor and he basically told me I had “graduated” and he didn’t need to see me anymore – do I find another?
I did some AA meetings – but I did not connect with the group – perhaps I should find another but no offence to anyone – I just found they made me depressed.
I have decided to taper down so have had 4 mid beers tonight and hopefully I can do this till after Easter break and find a new doctor – I just can’t go back to my GP as last time he was so proud  I just have to do this properly and not make it into a Corinda’s got more drinking time. I am scared to go cold turkey I just can’t take time off work I already think they sort of know I have a drinking problem, they must smell it the mornings and some days I really look like ****.
Anyways feeling very crappy, basically tired and waiting for an appropriate time to go to bed.
Thanks for listening
Corinda X
Old 04-10-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Corinda. Glad you're here and posting.

I didn't want to change bits of my life. Turns out they were the slippery bits that my AV didn't want me to let go of. Once I found the willingness to make all the necessary changes, sobriety became much easier. Bet my AV was proper peeved lol.

I've been to some pretty depressing AA meetings as well. Turned out that those ones were full of people who didn't want to work the program. Instead they just went to meetings a few times a week an wallowed in the problem. And woe betide anyone silly enough to start talking about the solution. It's the only place I've ever been called a Big Book Basher, and accused of lying about being happy in recovery. Sad , but I had to accept that I had nothing they wanted and likewise, they had nothing that I wanted. I drew a line under that particular meeting. Luckily there are many many meetings where people are not like that. I 'stick with the winners' now, as I was advised to do. I listen to their experience, strength and hope and learn from them. When recovery seems a tough call, the hope I get from my AA fellows shining eyes and their laughter gives me focus and strength.

I would suggest trying as many meetings as you can. Find the ones that work for you. The ones where people have healthy sobriety and want to pass that on. The ones where people's smiles come from their eyes as well as their mouths. The ones where you hear people chuckle. Where people hug each other. Where their closeness is a little envy making. My favourite meetings feel like going back to my clan. I love those people dearly, even the ones I don't like much.

I wish you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 04-11-2017, 01:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Berrybean
I hear what you’re saying I only went to the same place and its nickname was the Crypt - not sure if that was because of its location or some of its patrons. I only went there about 10/15 times and there was not much laughter - but then I was like a deer in headlights and wasn't very happy at the time. I never actually tried to worked the program, as I thought I had it all under control and had passed some test 6 months so I could just be a social drinker, unfortunately it didn't work out that way for long.
So now going to try some other places and get involved, you know make of an effort to get to know others.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me
Corinda
Old 04-11-2017, 02:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There many AA speaker talks on youtube and other apps. Joe and Charlie talks are great to learn the steps.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
There many AA speaker talks on youtube and other apps. Joe and Charlie talks are great to learn the steps.
Yes. This site has loads of speaker recordings to download free... http://www.recoveryaudio.org/

So what's the plan for today?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nmd

Welcome! Posting and sharing here has helped me quite a bit and given me extra support. I was also an everyday drinker of around 20 years.