Notices

Sober dad

Old 04-08-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober dad

I havent posted in a while but i come here every day to read posts. I recently bought a book called sober dad its a great read for anyone whos a parent and struggled with alcoholism.

I think thats a great title to have sober dad because thats what i am to my son. Thats something i never had but always wanted to give him. He just recently turned 4 and everythings been great. Im more involved then ever i dont just think of myself. Its amazing how selfish you can be when your drinking. It feels so good to be clear headed and just to be there instead of in the distance going through the motions .

But anyways my last drunk was me on a saturday drinking at 10 am and then i got a great idea to go to my friends an hour away at 5pm after drinking about 20 beers. I left the house without even telling my girlfriend where i was going just took off no care in the world.. I ended up coming home at 5am probably drinking another 20 beers while out . Hungover for 2 days i finally came to the realization i just cant drink anymore . Today i am sober taking it one day at a time and very great full for everything i have . When i get the itch to drink i either come on here or listen to AA speaker meetings on youtube. Fridays are still a little rough once and a while after working hard all week you just want to relax and shut down . But i play the tape through and it just never ends well what so ever.

For anyone who posts i just have one question . How are you guys doing with your sobriety and whats you choice of drink today ? Mine has to be ice cold water and green tea maybe a few energy drinks once and a while .
Old 04-08-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I commend you wanting to be a sober dad -- that is very respectable.

My drink of choice lately is La Croix sparkling water. I go through several a day.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you for making the choice to be a responsible father!

I drink a lot of water with lemon in it, or club soda with a splash of juice, and lots of herbal teas
Old 04-08-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for checking in and very glad to hear things are going well, don't be a stranger!
Old 04-08-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Trying to be a sober sad too. Except kids are teenagers, one on his way to college. I waited too long.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mine are 13 and 10 and while I wish I quit years ago. I figure better now than wasting even more years. I never was a seltzer drinker but now have at least 2 flavored ones a day. So glad to have you join SR!
Old 04-08-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

In the early days I craved sugar. I drank fruit juice and sugary limade.

I still crave sugar and get most of it from chocolate and cookies. I eat a bit each day.

I also eat more fruit now that I am clean. Oranges, apples, bananas.

Now, I mostly drink water and coffee.

Coffee is my doc. Today I had about 4 cups. Special occasion.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've chosen the sober dad path FYMS - great choice

D
Old 04-09-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks everyone !

I was never a seltzer water drinker either but it is pretty good . In the beginning i was drinking alot of it .
I dont think you waited to long fixitdad its still a good choice no matter how old your children are . I could count on one hand how many times ive even seen my father sober , hes going to be 60 and hes in a bad place with drinking . He drinks from the time he gets up untill the time he goes to bed . Thats another reason i became sober just seeing him in this state . Because i know if i keep going thats going to be me .

D122y i hear ya on the sugar ive been eating alot of ice cream and drinking more coffee then usual.

Eastcoaster20 thats awesome .
Old 04-09-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

JUST REMEMBER- FOR YOU MY SON- HAS TO BE FIRSTLY FOR YOU. Keep posting. Support to you. With me it is very cold water or coffee.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have a 16 year old stepson, a ten and seven year old daughter and a three week old little baby girl.

I'm grateful I will never again endanger any of them or myself or others with alcohol in any way. I'm grateful that I am present, conscious, honest, reliable, strong, caring, aware, concerned, compassionate, empathetic, responsible and above all able to give them all my love and attention because I am sober.

I'm sober first and foremost for me..... but my children are my greatest responsibility and Daddy is my most cherished role in life.

Without sobriety, I would not be able to give it or live it fully.

Thanks for sharing.

Oh and I'm a fan of fancy sparkling mineral water with a lemon lime twist, homemade fruit and veggie juices, and good ol simple H2O