Notices

First real social event as sober

Old 04-08-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First real social event as sober

So I went to a dinner last night, the couple that invited I barely know and I didn't any of the other eight guests. Challenging situation, I'm can be shy in that kind of situation and usually been relying on a few drinks to make it easier. I knew that everyone else would probably be drinking and could be seen as be a bit odd if I didn't. I was close to making some excuse to not go but decided that it would be better for me to face it.
It went pretty well. My initial social discomfort and shyness did gradually melt away and I was enjoying myself. As well, I discovered that I can hangout with 'normals' that drink socially and the aspects that I dread about being sober around heavy drinkers just aren't there (drama, fake closeness, endless repetition, self-centeredness). People were just happy, chatty and eh, normal. I thought I'd leave after an hour or so but I stayed for four.
All in all, a good experience, I'm proud of myself both for challenging myself by going and of course for not drinking (wasn't even tempted to be honest). Oddly enough AV was quiet - I was kind of expecting "hey, see, you proved that you don't have a problem, you can have just one" but it never happened.
Sleep still sucks though, even though it's 51 days. Not falling asleep or staying asleep but I dream so much that I'm totally exhausted every morning. I can live with that but it would be nice to have one night that isn't some kind of action/horror movie.
Hope everyone is doing ok and to all of you that is on the first week or so, hang in there, it gets better.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2/2016

You do not dream when you use alcohol. You are dreaming so much now because your brain is making up for all of that lost dream time. They get less intense and fewer as you go. I have a little over a year sober now, I do dream, but much less now. I am so proud of you! Congratulations
Old 04-08-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done! I had a similar experience with my first sober event the other day. Awkward but we will get better at it hey?

Keep it up
Old 04-08-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job. Its important to break through their barriers. Where I work we have happy hours at the office every month. This months' was last thursday, to be honest I didn't even think about drinking (I was focused on getting something to eat!). Its amazing, and it was a relief.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Good job on challenging yourself and finding out that your fears were unfounded.
Congratulations on your 51 days and glad you enjoyed the dinner & fellowship!
Old 04-08-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it all went well Tonggau.
I hope the dreams will fade soon.

D