Notices

sleep aid

Old 04-07-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sleep aid

After going to sleep,,,,or should i say passing out all those years,,,,im having problems sleeping!!!!! Dose anyone have any suggestions on a sleep aid that wont mess with me???? Don't want anything to aggravate my anxiety attacks!!!!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have to ask a medical professional. We're not allowed to share with others what we've used.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think there are a lot of things you can do to help your sleep situation. Exercise helps a lot, so I always try to get out walking during the day. Being aware of what you're eating helps too. I find that I fall asleep easier and sleep better if I'm not hungry, so I usually eat oatmeal at bedtime. Herbal teas can also be comforting and relaxing. You could ask your doctor about melatonin.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I found a long shower before bed helpful ,

clean bed sheets ,

doing some excersise ,

if i was still in the first few weeks and getting the sweats then wrapping the pillow in a towel meant i was more comfortable and got less hot headed and irritable .

no coffee or tea after noon, which was kinda difficult as i used these as a surrogate drink ... i switched to fizzy water .

The screens of computers are pretty bright i've skipped those in the evening .

watching bad news or stimulating TV are not calming or soothing, i've avoided them for a few hrs before bed.

Eating well and healthy, when i was an active alcoholic i didn't eat right and the alcohol messes with what you body can absorb ,

Have a google of "sleep hygiene" for more ideas .

for the first 6 weeks my sleep was 12 - 18 hrs a day with the odd night of nothing at all .

If it persists then a trip to the Dr might be required .

Bestwishes, m
Old 04-07-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Camomile tea,to sweeten put honey with it.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The insomnia is a rough one. Any local pharmacy or grocery store will have sleep aids you can get.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise!
Old 04-07-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober? I can only share my experience with prescription sleep aids. Worked wonderful at first, just like intended, it becomes addicting and then you need them to sleep. Also dangerous if drinking alcohol. I quit them cold turkey and the withdrawal was worse than oxycondone and almost as bad as alcohol. Horrible. Avoid if possible.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
How long have you been sober? I can only share my experience with prescription sleep aids. Worked wonderful at first, just like intended, it becomes addicting and then you need them to sleep. Also dangerous if drinking alcohol. I quit them cold turkey and the withdrawal was worse than oxycondone and almost as bad as alcohol. Horrible. Avoid if possible.
13 days sober!!!! Thanks for the advice!!!!!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I found a long shower before bed helpful ,

clean bed sheets ,

doing some excersise ,

if i was still in the first few weeks and getting the sweats then wrapping the pillow in a towel meant i was more comfortable and got less hot headed and irritable .

no coffee or tea after noon, which was kinda difficult as i used these as a surrogate drink ... i switched to fizzy water .

The screens of computers are pretty bright i've skipped those in the evening .

watching bad news or stimulating TV are not calming or soothing, i've avoided them for a few hrs before bed.

Eating well and healthy, when i was an active alcoholic i didn't eat right and the alcohol messes with what you body can absorb ,

Have a google of "sleep hygiene" for more ideas .

for the first 6 weeks my sleep was 12 - 18 hrs a day with the odd night of nothing at all .

If it persists then a trip to the Dr might be required .

Bestwishes, m
Will try your suggestions!!!!! Thank you!!!!!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think there are a lot of things you can do to help your sleep situation. Exercise helps a lot, so I always try to get out walking during the day. Being aware of what you're eating helps too. I find that I fall asleep easier and sleep better if I'm not hungry, so I usually eat oatmeal at bedtime. Herbal teas can also be comforting and relaxing. You could ask your doctor about melatonin.
Thanks for the help!!!!!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
All is Change

I have periodic insomnia. For example I slept about four hours last night. Technically it's still night here but I've been up for the last four hours. I meditate. Not only has it relieved me fo the chronic anxiety I lived with for much of my life it can be as good as sleep. Sometimes I think better than sleep. I also find that not overloading my stomach helps. No stimulants and being active during the day all of which seems to come naturally with the reduced anxiety so I think at the core of it all is the meditation. I hear a lot of people saying they don't have time but the fact is that meditation gives you time. It's an investment with a very high return.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My misunderstanding I guess. I thought you were asking about sleep aids..
Old 04-07-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi jwc

Insomnia is pretty common. I didn't take any sleep aids or anything and eventually my sleep sorted itself out - I had only one completely sleepless night and then progressively better sleep from there...took me around 10 days if I remember rightly.

I hope you will find the same

There are some good common sense ideas here
10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices

but if you're still really anxious maybe you should see your Dr about both things?
Old 04-07-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi jwc

Insomnia is pretty common. I didn't take any sleep aids or anything and eventually my sleep sorted itself out - I had only one completely sleepless night and then progressively better sleep from there...took me around 10 days if I remember rightly.

I hope you will find the same

There are some good common sense ideas here
10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices

but if you're still really anxious maybe you should see your Dr about both things?
Thank you much for the advice,,,much appreciated!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have suffered from sleeping troubles since the womb, not exaggerating. Never have slept a full night. EVER. Finally diagnosed in jr high when migraines and blackouts were a clue. Aw, sweet puberty (sarcasm). As a female it is doubly hard because of the constant change in hormones. PLUS I suffer from depression. PLUS I have a thyroid issue. And alcohol at a high amount makes me lose sleep.

Anyway, I have taken script sleep aids since age 14 ( 36 now) and they do help me but that is because I went through sleep test way prior than alcoholism. And I still suffer from sleep unrest and insomnia. That is my makeup. I recommend a dr, but if u want my suggestions or experiences, pm me.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
I have periodic insomnia. For example I slept about four hours last night. Technically it's still night here but I've been up for the last four hours. I meditate. Not only has it relieved me fo the chronic anxiety I lived with for much of my life it can be as good as sleep. Sometimes I think better than sleep. I also find that not overloading my stomach helps. No stimulants and being active during the day all of which seems to come naturally with the reduced anxiety so I think at the core of it all is the meditation. I hear a lot of people saying they don't have time but the fact is that meditation gives you time. It's an investment with a very high return.
Thanks for the advice!!!! I am looking into meditation!!!!
Old 04-08-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Go to the local drug store and speak to the pharmacist (not the person working behind the counter with the pharmacist). They are doctors also.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

They may, sometimes, have a Doctorate but to call them 'doctors' is a little misleading.

D
Old 04-08-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alan6154 View Post
Go to the local drug store and speak to the pharmacist (not the person working behind the counter with the pharmacist). They are doctors also.
Will definitely do that!!!!! Thank you!!!!!