I ran into my ex last night

Old 04-07-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And no, I didn't back up and run into him again...

After a year and a half of living in the same town I saw my ex. I was out with ( our ) friends having cocktails and he was in the same vicinity and came over to say hi. He doesn't look like the guy I knew. Bloated, clearly had been drinking immediately before? During? After? Work, who knows. I hear from them that although he has someone else in his life his life itself is a mess. It makes me sad. the alcohol has just taken him. He knows he has a problem but chooses not to address it. Very sad. Sad for what he was and sad for what could have been a better life. After so much anger on my part I now just feel pity and that breaks my heart.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hee hee!

Let's hear it for Lilro, ladies and gentlemen! Yes, she'll be here all week...

Old 04-07-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I have a flip-book with this... (seems appropriate, given my profession, doesn't it?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
EP-8299.jpg (25.0 KB, 101 views)
Old 04-07-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, and Lilro,

I know what you mean. It really IS sad, but all I can say is that pity is easier for ME to handle than anger/hate.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad the anger has dissipated, Lilro. Sure sign of healing and moving on.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lilro View Post

After a year and a half of living in the same town I saw my ex. I was out with ( our ) friends having cocktails and he was in the same vicinity and came over to say hi. He doesn't look like the guy I knew. Bloated, clearly had been drinking immediately before? During? After? Work, who knows. I hear from them that although he has someone else in his life his life itself is a mess. It makes me sad. the alcohol has just taken him. He knows he has a problem but chooses not to address it. Very sad. Sad for what he was and sad for what could have been a better life. After so much anger on my part I now just feel pity and that breaks my heart.
It's sad to see the potential being wasted. I see this with my own ex. As long as pity doesn't turn into a desire to "help" or "support" him (my own weakness), it's a good emotion, it shows you have the capacity for compassion and empathy. And it helps to show how far you've come - how good the life is that you've built for yourself.

Some wise person once said that the opposite of love is not hate, it's detachment. It sounds like you can see the sadness of his situation and also see that you're removed from it, on the road to detachment.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is sad. Pray that he gets the help he needs and continue to take care of yourself!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
Some wise person once said that the opposite of love is not hate, it's detachment. It sounds like you can see the sadness of his situation and also see that you're removed from it, on the road to detachment.
I wouldn't use the word "detachment" that way. As we use it here, it's a tool for living with the craziness that can accompany living with even a newly sober alcoholic. It's very possible to detach from someone with love.

I think the word you meant was "indifference," which means simply not caring one way or another.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LOL!
Old 04-07-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
It's sad to see the potential being wasted. I see this with my own ex. As long as pity doesn't turn into a desire to "help" or "support" him (my own weakness), it's a good emotion, it shows you have the capacity for compassion and empathy. And it helps to show how far you've come - how good the life is that you've built for yourself.
After 3 years of no contact with my XABF, his elderly mom reached out this week and told me she is helping him with bills and moving him across the country to live near her - he's 52 and clearly unable to care for himself. My primary emotion was compassion for HER: she's in her 80s and should be able to count on him for care, not the other way around.

I didn't even slightly veer toward the old habits of wanting to rescue or engage around any of that sickness. The life I have built for myself and my daughters since letting the ex go is so rich and sweet and full, I would do anything to protect it, including not falling down that sad old rabbit hole.

To anyone out there still slogging through the early days of separation, grief, loss, and withdrawal, take heart! Have courage and faith in yourself, go ahead and Choose Life. You won't regret it.

SQ