Notices

Terrified of going to doctor on Thursday..

Old 04-03-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terrified of going to doctor on Thursday..

Hello everyone! I have been reading so much on here. I am a female and will be fifty years old this year and now accept the fact that I had a problem with alcohol. I quit drinking regularly around the end of May last year and probably have had six drinks since then. I regularly drank three sometimes four light beers (it's just beer right?) a night for about fifteen years and then probably ten drinks a week after I met my current husband at age 45 after my previously husband died of a brain tumor. The last full bloodwork I had was around age 42 and everything was well within normal range. I told the doctor my concerns and he felt my liver but nothing was wrong. He said in the final stages of alcohol the liver shrinks. I accepted at that time that my liver was healthy but I kept drinking to what a thought was "modest" levels three light beers a day no more. so for the first time since I was 42 I am going to the MD to have blood work done( I regularly do my well woman but they do not do full panal bloodwork.) Even though I really don't drink anymore..I am terrified of what they will find..my husband who almost has his doctorate in nursing and is a nursing instructor rolls his eyes at me when I suggest I may have liver disease. I even made him feel for my liver with him using the two handed deep palpation technique and he was able to to feel my liver edge when he pushed it up and he said the edge felt totally normal and I needed to quit worrying..I am still afraid...I have no symptoms except a few patches of dry itchy skin, no Hep C and BMI just outside of normal range...I am so scared..
Old 04-03-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It seems like a good idea that you are going to the dr to get checked out. I'm sure that it will ease your mind. And, since you have stopped drinking, that's the best thing you can do.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Worrying about your blood test before you have it done is normal to a degree, but fruitless. Anticipating the worst only feeds the fear and worry. Try to relax. You've done the best thing you can do for your liver, and that is quit drinking.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you..

I tend to be a huge hypochondriac also but hey..if it stops me from drinking so be it..it kept me in check from drinking more over the years.. Carl I work in animal rescue..I foster dogs for a rescue organization and also do volunteer animal transport.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't really have any medical advice other than to just keep your chin up, but I will say that I'm so jealous and impressed that you work as an animal rescuer. That is so wonderful! Best of luck with your tests. At least you're getting ahead of any issues now.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

One of the best decisions I made is being open & honest with my Dr I was the same at first

it's going to be ok
Old 04-03-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, when I had my blood work done I didn't expect any problems. However, turns out I have elevated liver values. I really didn't think I drank that much but I guess it was enough to cause damage. However, you were a pretty light drinker compared to me (I did lots of gin, wine and lately whiskey) so you probably shouldn't worry much about it. Also, don't know if its genetic but my dad died from liver cirrhosis (alcohol) and maybe that's why....
Old 04-03-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was paranoid for a while as well to go to the docs, but once I went I felt much better. My docs have always been very helpful and make the experience really pain free. I now go regularly as it does give you peace of mind knowing if for some reason something is wrong, it can get taken care of right away, instead of putting things off which can possibly lead to more trouble.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi artistgal
most of us found that the reality of seeing the Dr was a lot better than our fears - I'm glad you're deciding to go...it's the first step to a new beginning

D
Old 04-03-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone..my mind is tormenting me..they called to remind me of my appointment and I fell apart..
Old 04-03-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think it's likely you will get a clean bill of health from your Dr. on Thursday. If you haven't drank much since last May, you are probably fine.

But don't take that good news as permission to start drinking again.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all I will never drink again..that is for sure..
Old 04-03-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're going to be so relieved & happy when the appointment's over, artistgal.
I do the same thing you do - torture myself with thoughts of what might happen. Usually it never turns out as bad as I imagine. Wish I could have back all the hours I wasted worrying. Glad you are here with us.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have had fatty/enlarged liver in about 2012, got sober during my pregnancy (2013/14), and then had a normal ultrasound on my liver in Jan 2015. Nothing checked since then and I have been drinking a lot sober the past year and a half....so like you, I am nervous about seeing my doctor as well. My appointment is Wednesday morning. Best wishes to you, artistgal, and don't be nervous..the liver is the one organ that can heal, but the best thing you have done is stopped the drinking. I hope all goes well for you!