Notices

Quit drinking and feeling much worse?

Old 04-03-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit drinking and feeling much worse?

I guess I'm what would be called a highly functional alcoholic. I'm 41 and only started drinking with regularity at around 35. I've never had any serious repercussions from drinking. No lost jobs or relationships, never driven drunk, been arrested, don't drink during the day or engage in risky behavior. I'm just a happily married highly successful woman who goes to her job on time every day then unwinds with a glass of wine at night. Or 2. Or 3. Or sometimes the whole bottle....

My stories of lost memories are less of the "I woke up in Mexico" variety and more like "I can't remember if I flossed my teeth" or "did I empty the litter box?". So I'm a pretty boring drunk which is why it took me a while to recognize there might be a problem.

Ok, so I stopped drinking as of Saturday 4/1. My goal is to make it through April and see how I feel. I was looking forward to feeling great and headache-free but the truth is I feel like utter sh*t. I am totally exhausted, my head hurts and I can't pay attention to even simple tasks. I could barely even follow a basketball game last night. I can't follow a conversation I've been at work for 2 hours and I'm pretty much just staring at my desk.

Honestly, at this point I want a glass of wine tonight just because it seems I function BETTER when I drink. But I've tried the "I'll limit myself to one drink a night" trick and it didn't work which is why I'm going cold turkey.

Am I going through withdrawal even though I wouldn't be drinking right now at 9:30am anyway? Does it get better? Is it possible that I really do function better when I'm drinking? Since it wasn't messing up my life, should I just try to cut back rather than quit?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, those sound very much like withdrawal symptoms. And, the disease makes you think you function better while drinking, in order to keep you hooked.

If you decide you are not an alcoholic, then drinking or not, should not bother you. But, it does sound like you are having symptoms when you are a few days into April. The good news is that it does get better and the symptoms you are experiencing should diminish and disappear soon. It's also good to remember that alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will get worse unless you decide to stop drinking. If you believe cutting back will work for you, that's great. Why not take a look around SR and read a bit?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ppy, you are still very early. I had similar drinking patterns as you and could function day to day. I just got tire don't of always being tired and off, no energy on the weekends etc. I'm on Day 23. It took me about 2 weeks to not be exhausted and off. You just have to hang in there and it will get much better!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

4/1 april fools is a really cool sobriety date

keep it by taking action

for me regular meeting attendance and the program of aa is why im sober today

God bless

Old 04-03-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Ppy75 View Post
Is it possible that I really do function better when I'm drinking?
No.

Since it wasn't messing up my life, should I just try to cut back rather than quit?
If you could cut back, do what we alcoholics call "drink normally," don't you think you'd already be doing that?

Does it get better?
Yes, be patient.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Brain fog is a symptom of withdrawal.

People suffering from alcohol dependence tend to feel better when they drink. That's why they keep drinking (the proverbial "they," I include myself). A couple of drinks can make you feel more alert, sociable, smarter, at ease, etc. But when does it ever stop at a couple?

Over time, abstinence allows you to be the real you. Whereas being stuck in the cycle of needing alcohol to function will just make your life worse and worse.

For instance, I end up in the hospital after every binge due to withdrawal. I simply can't take the symptoms.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It will get better. My last hangover ...all I did was stare in space and shake. Like I was catatonic! Hang in there. I still feel like I don't know who I am. Reinvention time is called for I think!!!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the responses. This is such a great site! I have no idea if I'll ever be able to go back to "normal drinking" but my goal for now is to just totally detox and see how that works out. I can't even remember the last time I woke up without at least a slight headache. Looking forward to that once this withdrawal wears off...
Old 04-03-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Ppy75!!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hang in there ppy75 im on day 2 as well however this is nowhere close to my first detox. hopefully you won't be so familiar with the symptoms as some of us and kick it right now.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it's only been two days.....you are going to need to give it some more time!!!

for comparison, below is a list of withdrawal symptoms, but not from alcohol....from caffeine!!! DETOX is real, WITHDRAWAL symptoms ARE real.

Headache
A caffeine headache usually starts behind the eyes and then moves up the front of the head.
Sleepiness
This just isn’t your normal tiredness, this is sitting up straight but still can’t keep your eyes open tiredness.
Irritability
Everyone and everything gets on your last nerve. It’s best just to lock yourself in your room during this stage.
Lethargy
Forget about productivity at this stage because you’ll be unmotivated to do anything from the feeling of the lack of energy.
Constipation
Caffeine stimulates the bowel, so without its daily dose the colon gets a little cranky too.
Depression
Caffeine withdrawal can take away all hope for living. Temporary blues are one thing, but if you already struggle with depression this could be a big issue.
Muscle Pain, Stiffness, Cramping
If you normally have some caffeine prior to exercise then during caffeine withdrawal you could feel as though your muscles have weights strapped to them.
Lack of Concentration
Forget school, studying, brain surgery, or jet engine repair during this stage of withdrawal.
Flu-like symptoms
Stuffy nose, blocked sinuses, and sinus pressure have all been reported by people withdrawing from caffeine.
Insomnia
Some people actually can’t sleep when going through caffeine withdrawal.
Nausea and Vomiting
Some people can’t even think about food the first couple days of withdrawal which compounds the feeling of lethargy.
Anxiety
In some people, caffeine actually causes anxiety, but in others, withdrawing from the drug can cause feelings on anxiety and even panic attacks have been reported by some.
Brain Fog
Withdrawal can cause some people to experience brain fog which is described as the difficulty of having coherent thoughts, difficulty thinking, and the difficulty of doing common tasks.
Dizziness
Caffeine withdrawal can cause some people to lose their sense of equilibrium.
Heart Rhythm Abnormalities
Since caffeine also stimulates the heart muscle, some people experience changes in their heart rhythm during withdrawal. Both low blood pressure and even palpitations have been reported.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for that list. I think the only substance I'm addicted to more than wine is coffee. So I've been through those withdrawals. But somehow with coffee I was successfully able to scale down to one cup a day. I haven't had that same success with wine. It's at least half a bottle or nothing. Thus the cold turkey. Patience is a virtue, but it isn't one of mine
Old 04-03-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh goodness. The first week or so I was a down right mess. Really. I wanted to barf, my head was spinning, I cried all the time, and all I could think about was having that drink. It gets SO much better, just hang in there!
Old 04-03-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You're going to feel like crap for a few days, possibly a week or so, but things will level off and you will feel much better once your system is rid of the garbage.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Abstaining for the month of April is a great start. I think youll get a lot more answers by then.
Your story sounds like mine, after a while I was acutely aware of my dependency and was determined to quit this drug before it sunk its teeth in too deep.
My only concern with your post is that you are "already" contemplating drinking again tonight, and it was 9:30am at work. This is far from normal behaviour.
Stay vigilant. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome ppy

I'm not sure how many years you've been drinking, but you're gonna have to give it more than a few days

if you're starting to wonder whether you function better as a drinker, thats actually a pretty clear sign of addiction IMO and another huge reason to see this through.

If you go back to drinking, the next time you decide to quit it's only going to be worse.

I'd expect you to start feeling a little better soon tho

The support here helps - stay strong

D