Notices

Tapering down VS cold turkey

Old 04-02-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tapering down VS cold turkey

I read a lot of post on here from individuals in their first week. Many of them do not know what to expect, understandably. Many do not know that sudden alcohol withdrawal for a heavy drinker can be deadly. That is why they have 28 day programs where you are medically monitored.

I am one of those people that have to learn the hard way. The first time I sincerely tried to quit drinking was January 2015. I was on my third day without a drink, understand I was a heavy daily drinking functional alcoholic (At least I "THOUGHT" I was functioning).

I suddenly knew something was wrong when everything got dizzy, cloudy. I went to the ER with a BP of 194/135 (stroke range) and I spent the next three days on an IV with potassium, magnesium, and eating Librium. Okay lesson learned (that lesson not the drinking part sobriety only lasted 60 days then I thought I could moderate, no laughing from the seasoned pro's please)

The next time around In the fall of 2016 I talked to my Doctor (who came to see me in the hospital the first time around) and told him I wanted to quit. He suggested I taper down before I stop to lessen the withdrawal symptoms. I.E. If you normally drink a 12 pack a day, go to 11, then 10; Reducing intake every day the way they wean people off medication. No hospital visit this time around but I don't know if I would recommend it. It was still pretty rough.

There really is no need to go it alone on this journey. See a professional and tell them what you're planning on doing. Talk it over with them and come up with a game plan that you can agree on. They will suggest whether you go inpatient, taper down, or just go cold turkey depending on where you are in your addiction.

I hope this helps at least one person out there and I wish I knew about this site in 2015.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thank you Alan.

My take on it is that cold turkey is preferable because if you are someone like me, stopping drinking after reaching a certain point was not "doable." Obviously should you have withdrawal symptoms such as the ones you experienced then definitly seek medical help and they may well suggest tapering.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The safest way is always to see a Doctor.

I withdrew many many times cold turkey with no apparent ill effect...but my last time CT was very nearly deadly.

Don't take for granted that you'll be ok just because you have been in the past.

To be fair, I never had any luck with tapering either - my impulse control regulator was well and truly busted....

I wish I'd seen a Doc tho

D
Old 04-02-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dee "impulse control regulator " pretty sure I was born without that feature. Must have cost extra.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me.... "Tapering" was a fantastic way to con myself into saying I was quitting drinking and lead me back to my next binge.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I could never taper cause that meant controlling something I couldn't control. Best to get a doctor's help to get safely thru w/d.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Once you reach this stage of the game, "tapering down" is code talk for "I suspect drinking ain't good for me, but part of me doesn't want to quit yet."

Just my experience. Your results may vary.