Notices

Am I an alcoholic?

Old 04-02-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I an alcoholic?

Hello, I have briefly used this forum in the past. Things sort of picked up the last time but i'm back struggling to cope with alcohol yet again.

As with the headline I think i'm an alcoholic but I don't know for certain. Maybe if I could just know for certain and admit "i'm an alcoholic" I can move on and try to begin recovery and accept I am. Why is alcohol addiction so cunning and baffling. I have been struggling off and on with alcohol for 11 years now since the age of 22.

I have had 6 inpatient detoxes the past 11 years and my life has been profoundly affected. But this little niggling voice says you can (sometimes) drink sensibly for a month or 2 and you don't often drink spirits. Does anyone know of any tests you can do online?. How can I be for sure?. Can anyone point me to some posts, my head isn't that clear at the moment.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Doesn't matter what you call it. When alcohol impairs your life and keeps you from living the most fully and joyfully you as you can.... that's enough.

Isn't it?

Here's an interesting and relevant articles.

http://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2017/03/31/not-alcholic-drink-heavily?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social& utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2017 0331
Old 04-02-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

" Maybe if I could just know for certain and admit "i'm an alcoholic"
"I have had 6 inpatient detoxes the past 11 years and my life has been profoundly affected."
doesn't read lke ya need an online test. reads like you've had 11 years of testing.
maybe if ya not be concerned about the label and start being concerned about solutions, the problem with alcohol will disappear?
Old 04-02-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Only you can decide if you are an alcoholic, but it doesn't sound like a hard call from what you have said. You have 'struggled ' with alcohol for how long? 11 years? If you struggled with cauliflower like you struggle with alcohol, you'd surely just stop eating it. It causes you problems but you don't want to give it up? You've needed 6 detoxs, yet decided that drinking again would be a good move, or done it again regardless of thinking that it wouldn't be, and you are asking if you are an alcoholic?

If someone else posted what you did, what would you say?

AA has a very simple questionnaire. It only needs to be simple. Either alcohol is causing us problems or not. We can either stop easily or we can not. It's only as complicated as we choose to make it. I chose to make it incredibly complicated for a very long time because it supported my denial to do so.

Newcomers | About AA | Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd
Old 04-02-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

'Alcoholic' is just a word. That's all it is. You are the person who needs to decide if you are an alcoholic or not. No one can do that for you.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

add up the yes and no answers below -- you will get a good idea

Twelve questions only you can answer
Are you an alcoholic? To answer this, ask yourself the following questions and answer them as honestly as you can.
Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

Most of us in A.A. made all kinds of promises to ourselves and to our families. We could not keep them. Then we came to A.A. A.A. said: “Just try not to drink today.” (If you do not drink today, you can-not get drunk today.)
Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking — stop telling you what to do?

In A.A. we do not tell anyone to do any-thing. We just talk about our own drink-ing, the trouble we got into, and how we stopped. We will be glad to help you, if you want us to.
Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from get-ting drunk?

We tried all kinds of ways. We made our drinks weak. Or just drank beer. Or we did not drink cocktails. Or only drank on weekends. You name it, we tried it. But if we drank anything with alcohol in it, we usually got drunk eventually.
Have you had to have an eye-opener upon awakening during the past year?

Do you need a drink to get started, or to stop shaking? This is a pretty sure sign that you are not drinking “socially.”
Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?

At one time or another, most of us have wondered why we were not like most peo-ple, who really can take it or leave it.
Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year?

Be honest! Doctors say that if you have a problem with alcohol and keep on drink-ing, it will get worse — never better. Eventually, you will die, or end up in an institution for the rest of your life. The only hope is to stop drinking.
Has your drinking caused trouble at home?

Before we came into A. A., most of us said that it was the people or problems at home that made us drink. We could not see that our drinking just made everything worse. It never solved problems anywhere or anytime.
Do you ever try to get "extra" drinks at a party because you do not get enough?

Most of us used to have a “few” before we started out if we thought it was going to be that kind of party. And if drinks were not served fast enough, we would go some place else to get more.
Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don’t mean to?

Many of us kidded ourselves into thinking that we drank because we wanted to. After we came into A. A., we found out that once we started to drink, we couldn't stop.
Have you missed days of work or school because of drinking?

Many of us admit now that we “called in sick” lots of times when the truth was that we were hungo ver or on a drunk.
Do you have “blackouts”?

A “blackout” is when we have been drink-ing hours or days which we cannot remember. When we came to A.A., we found out that this is a pretty sure sign of alcoholic drinking
Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink?

Many of us started to drink because drink-ing made life seem better, at least for a while. By the time we got into A.A., we felt trapped. We were drinking to live and liv-ing to drink. We were sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can argue for ever on the definition of that word. Bottom line is, if drinking is causing you problems, you might want to do something about it.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't think we should put labels on our drinking and ourselves. Alcoholism has a clinical definition, but it also means different things to lay people. If alcohol is causing you issues and problems, then you probably should examine stopping. I don't meet all the criteria on Mountainmanbob's list, but I meet a couple, and that's enough for me. Honestly, if you meet more than half of those, you should get yourself to the ER and start the detox/rehab process (my opinion only). Welcome - I hope you do the right thing for you :-)
Old 04-02-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

i think the fact that you're asking if you're an alcoholic, while listing lots of alcohol related reasons your life has been negatively affected for 11 years is pretty typical of alcoholic thinking

we cant see whats right in front of our faces... unless its a bottle
Old 04-02-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Only you can come to the conclusion. The word "Alcoholic" is just that, a word. A label.

To be frank, if you have had 6 inpatient detoxes, something is not going right with alcohol. Best to throw in the towel.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

The amount of punishment i inflicted on my mind, body & ultimately my soul when I was drinking was unreal and I hope this helps someone.

It was bad... & in the end hospital visits became the norm. At the time I'm not even sure I identified as alcoholic or having a drink problem which only excerbated things further.

Identifying as an alcoholic or someone who had a drink problem saved my life it's one of the main reasons I'm still sober. Once I knew, I realised I wasn't lost but I was broken from all the self inflicted punishment and I needed help (which I sought out)

It wasn't overnight and I still had cravings at 5 months but with time & understanding they went away.

Understanding that I had a problem with drink and realising I was alcoholic stopped me going back to drinking it wasn't worth it, I was walking around in circles drunk I wasn't going to do that sober so that meant no matter what no more drinking - In the first 5 months I had nights where there was nothing else on my mind but getting wasted but I held on & I started looking at ways to improve my life, the cravings seemed like they were going to last forever ... BUT THEY DO GO AWAY THAT I CAN PROMISE YOU.

So if your returning or your a newcomer or just a guest and you think you might have a drink problem please take something from this.

There will be hard days when throwing in the towel seems like an easy option but all your really doing is getting hurt & wasted.

I can't ever see myself drinking again no matter what happens and it's because I freed myself from my self imposed torture that I see things so different now - I want to help through my own experience & I will but ultimately only you can do this.

Stay sober for you, if your struggling let SR know it's why thier here.

If your still drinking & don't want to drink then know were here when your ready as only you can do this.

Sorry if this post seems jumbled or anything I just wanted to put this out there.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's pretty safe to say you have an alcohol abuse problem. That "little niggling voice" is your AV. It will lie to you and try to make you think you can "just have a couple" and can control your drinking, but it's all just to trick you into feeding it.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi all, thank you very much for the responses. Hopefully this is a thread that also helps, reminds others. I am currently unemployed and drinking daily in my house so will try to digest this as i'm not functioning very well at the moment. As i mentioned i have on occasions been able to drink sensibly, that sensible drink always spirals though. We're all different and have different paths, reasons, patterns. I don't have a problem admitting i'm an alcoholic. Not like I need to tell the world, just need to admit it to myself and maybe a couple of people close to me, those I speak to @ meetings. I guess complete abstinence is goal to think about.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I struggled with this question for yearssssss. Miserable years. Because it was this war in my head. Am I, am I not? And often when I was drunk, I would have these moments of yep. This is not working for me. But then I was sober, I pointed at all the times I only had 1-2. The times I poured half a beer down the sink and said "see! An alcoholic doesn't do that!!"

I follow a blog of a woman in recovery and she said something like: you're not really asking if you are an alcoholic. Your real question is "can I keep drinking?".

Eventually my drinking progressed. There were less of those 1-2 beers and more of those, oh **** moments. I wish I would have quit for good those years ago.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
totfit

A person with 6 inpatient detoxes in 11 years is certainly not a normal drinker and likely is unable to drink responsibly no matter what. Just think of drinking normally as a ridiculous idea as far as you are concerned. This has nothing to do with character or any other issue other than you process alcohol differently than others. I really bet you don't have to ask this question. Look deep within yourself. The answers are most always there. Wish you the best.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As others have said - it's just a label.

For what it is worth I have never been in an inpatient detox. I came to the conclusion about 10 days ago that I am an alcoholic despite that.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I have 1, I have 20. There's no such thing as moderation for me.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JustHarry

6 inpatient stays in 11 years also suggests something going on to me.

Whatever you feel comfortable calling it, you have a problem that needs redressing, yeah?

D