Notices

maybe it's time

Old 03-31-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

maybe it's time

Been away from AA for around a year. Things haven't been going well lately. Not as bad as it used to be, but drinking is drinking and eventually it will take it's toll. Can't remember the last time I had terrible withdrawals like the shakes or hallucinations. The worst I've dealt with is just being a little out of it the next day. But my attitude is terrible and have been noticing a lot of digestive problems lately. Been going to the gym a lot and doing a lot of cardio to sweat it out but that will only do so much.
Anyway, back to the reason for this thread. It dawned on me that I have absolutely no spiritual connection anymore. I don't feel like I have that spiritual support like I used to. Even with all the problems I had in those meetings; it did help me to feel like there was some power that had my back when things got bad. Even when feeling alone, I felt there was something that was helping to guide me in the right direction. Something that would give me the strength to fight.
I moved recently, so maybe a new meeting with different people might help. John
Old 03-31-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a good plan you have in mind. I hope you connect with someone at a meeting.

I had no spiritual connection either when I stopped drinking, nothing at all. The book that changed everything for me:

Zukav, Gary The Seat of the Soul

And, a few other great reads:

Myss, Carolyn The Anatomy of the Spirit
Hay, Louise You Can Heal Your Life
Singer, Michael The Untethered Soul
Old 03-31-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
That sounds like a good plan you have in mind. I hope you connect with someone at a meeting.

I had no spiritual connection either when I stopped drinking, nothing at all. The book that changed everything for me:

Zukav, Gary The Seat of the Soul

And, a few other great reads:

Myss, Carolyn The Anatomy of the Spirit
Hay, Louise You Can Heal Your Life
Singer, Michael The Untethered Soul
Thanks Anna. Actually, I've been trying a good book to read for a while. I'll look into your suggestions. John
Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((John))) Another good book to read is Being Peace by Thich Nhat Hanh. It's also easy to read and the chapters are short. It changed my attitude.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

John - I think you're wise to check out a meeting in your new town. I'm glad you are self-aware enough to assess what's going on and take action.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know when I was drinking it wasn't possible to get in touch with the good side. I knew it was there, but it was blocked.

Wrong spirit. It was much more the dark side. I felt like I was in a swamp. Stopping drinking was like walking on water almost...being released from that sucking mud.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm well aware of what my situation is. But like many people know, even after having long periods of sobriety, then drinking again; it's easy to forget the benefits of not drinking. I'm tired of feeling so needy. I need love, I need attention, I need people that care, I need people that understand me, I need people that will be there no matter what, I need people that love me so much that they will tell me I'm full of bull##it and set me straight and stick with me when I fight them.
But what I do have is me and my ability to fight the odds to succeed when people said I couldn't. Despite these successes, I know alcoholism is a different foe and requires a lot support.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep persisting.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can never lose if you never give in John

D