Took his cards

Old 03-31-2017, 02:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Took his cards

I have posted another thread about my general misery with my AH but I started this to talk about my specific current situation. Before I left for work, AH went to the store and bought a six pack. I was gone 10 hours and expected to come home to him not drunk. He generally drinks way more. So he sends me a few drunken text and I knew he bought more and hid it. He woke up and I asked him about it. He admitted to hiding because he "knew I would b*itch about it and he didn't want to hear it". I told him I'm not doing this anymore. I will no longer allow him to spend money on beer. I took his bank cards. I just can't let him spend our money (that I work so hard for) on alcohol. Of course he was so mad. Said I was controlling and had no right to control all of our money.
I'm on the fence about whether or not this was a bad move on my part. Part of me feels like I don't have any right to do this.
I know tomorrow will be an argument about it. I've done this before and caved. He makes me feel so guilty. Im not going to give them back this time though! He may leave because I'm a "controlling b*". Idk if I even care at this point. I don't even know what to say or do anymore.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome!

Sorry you are going through this. Rest assured than many of us had to do the same thing.

He will most likely call you controlling - he is an alcoholic and you are making it harder for him to drink. It is, however, the right decision. He is not acting like responsible adult. I don't know what the law says about this - what I ended up doing when he straightened up after one of his relapses - all salaries were deposited in my account and then he would get allowances. At the end of the day - I got tired of monitoring his sobriety and left him after his last relapse. But short term-wise you have to protect your finances

Taking the cards may not do the trick - is his name on the account? He may just order a new one, write a check, get a withdrawal from the bank. If so - set up a new one and move your money/direct deposit there. You can then close the account that has his name on it. It strikes me as odd, but you don't need signature to close the account he is on, but you do need his signature to remove him.

I did just that and avoided the drama of having to search for the drunk (he was missing), and having to pry card out of his hands.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nata1980 View Post
Hi there and welcome!

Sorry you are going through this. Rest assured than many of us had to do the same thing.

He will most likely call you controlling - he is an alcoholic and you are making it harder for him to drink. It is, however, the right decision. He is not acting like responsible adult. I don't know what the law says about this - what I ended up doing when he straightened up after one of his relapses - all salaries were deposited in my account and then he would get allowances. At the end of the day - I got tired of monitoring his sobriety and left him after his last relapse. But short term-wise you have to protect your finances

Taking the cards may not do the trick - is his name on the account? He may just order a new one, write a check, get a withdrawal from the bank. If so - set up a new one and move your money/direct deposit there. You can then close the account that has his name on it. It strikes me as odd, but you don't need signature to close the account he is on, but you do need his signature to remove him.

I did just that and avoided the drama of having to search for the drunk (he was missing), and having to pry card out of his hands.
Thank you for your story! A couple years ago I opened an account with just my name. He has no card for that account. My check gets deposited into that account. At least I was smart enough to do that! And I did it because bill money was being spent on beer. So he has very little money unless I transfer it. We are in a couple thousand miles from the bank so he can't withdraw money either But like you said I don't want to have to give him an allowance like he's a damn child. I don't know how this is going to play out in the end. He will have a fit that much I do know!
Old 03-31-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My addicted loved ones are family members, never married to an alcoholic, so I don't have an experience to share. I suppose if he has access to the joint account, and he has some of his own money in it, you can't really keep him from spending that money on beer.

But you can keep your money safe from him so that you can cover the household expenses. If he wants spending money, he can earn his own, right?
Old 03-31-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
My addicted loved ones are family members, never married to an alcoholic, so I don't have an experience to share. I suppose if he has access to the joint account, and he has some of his own money in it, you can't really keep him from spending that money on beer.

But you can keep your money safe from him so that you can cover the household expenses. If he wants spending money, he can earn his own, right?
That's just it. He gets a small monthly check. That covers his child support and his daughters phone. The money he spends on beer is money I earn working.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welp, I guess he's going to have to get a 'beer job' somewhere then! If he re-directs his child support payments for beer (not that that has never happened), that is not your responsibility and the legal weight of that will fall on him.

Is he disabled in some way and unable to work...I mean other than being an active alcoholic?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
totfit

Gosh, I know there was a time in my life I wanted someone to take my cards. Personally, I would just get a separate account with to operate the household. If he has an income, he should contribute x amount to the household and it should go into that account. It is not about controlling, but about protecting yourself and the home/budget. Even a good man if he is controlled by alcohol will not make responsible choices. I know this.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the problem is bigger than taking cards. Or only giving small amounts of cash. Or keeping a breathalyzer on hand. Or checking the receipts or my bag when I came out of the grocery to see what I had (or hadn't) bought. Or.....

All things my parents tried in their increasingly desperate attempts to get me to quit drinking.

I didn't quit- and my life, and their lives by extension- didn't change til I wanted to quit drinking and did.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Actually, think about if the shoe were on the other foot. He's the breadwinner, you have a teensy check, and he won't let you spend money because it's "his" and he doesn't approve of what you buy. A lot of abusers do that.

I'd suggest separating your finances somehow, such that after joint or necessary expenses you each have "x" amount of money to spend (and it should be equal). If he chooses to spend his on booze and you choose to spend yours on whatever, that's your individual choice.

Of course, you can also be sick of the whole deal--that he's not working and you income is supporting his habit. Divorce or separation are options, too.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad to see you came back and posted again!! Sorry about your AH lying and hiding, the insults and accusations are a normal behavior from the alcoholic. Mine called me Hitler and told me that I run the house like a concentration camp (insert eyeroll here). Keep posting, you're not alone.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

He's in a position where he can't earn for himself except with casual jobs as you move around a lot, which puts him in your power financially. I may be wrong about that, but I understand its your career he's with you moving for.
No judgement from me, but from his POV he's in your power. Hanging around doing nothing is not good for someone with his tendencies.
If you really can't stand coming home to him drunk you may have to consider separating. Starving him of money will raise other problems.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
He's in a position where he can't earn for himself except with casual jobs as you move around a lot, which puts him in your power financially. I may be wrong about that, but I understand its your career he's with you moving for.
No judgement from me, but from his POV he's in your power. Hanging around doing nothing is not good for someone with his tendencies.
If you really can't stand coming home to him drunk you may have to consider separating. Starving him of money will raise other problems.
^This is why this is a complicated situation in my opinion as well. And I'm saying that as someone who DID take away all of MY cards linked to MY accounts where MY income was solely being deposited. And as someone who wishes that she had taken that step far sooner in my situation.

But in our case, RAH was fully capable of working & earning money & choosing not to in a lot of ways. I wasn't the breadwinner by design, but by default & it wasn't enough to afford us the lifestyle he was funding. The money he was draining from our accounts was needed for household & life bills - he had already blown through our combined savings & ripped into his retirement account. When I set these financial boundaries for myself it was out of self-preservation not only for myself but for DD who was about 6-7 at the time. One of us had to be responsible enough to keep the mortgage paid & food in the fridge for her, if nothing else.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not quite buying the moving for career as a cause of unemployment. I mean - one could be sober and volunteer if all fails. Plus - how frequently do you move anyway?

I agree starving him of money won't solve anything - but at least will protect you short term somewhat

We did not move and XAH still behaved like he is a stay at home dad trapped in the house. DS was in full time childcare till school started, and then XAH did pick him up after just because he was not doing anything else. If he found any sort of job that exceeded aftershool care - I would totally go with that. He did not. He still claims he gave up his career for mine. I have met and married him when he was my age. So technically he had just as much time as I did to build his career - without childcare responsibility or an addict trying to take him down.

Nah. He saw himself as being financially dependent because it was convenient for him and allowed him to sit on his arse. And complain about how controlling I was while not paying any bills and writing checks from my account for who knows what. He had options - they just required effort.

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Old 03-31-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Actually, think about if the shoe were on the other foot. He's the breadwinner, you have a teensy check, and he won't let you spend money because it's "his" and he doesn't approve of what you buy. A lot of abusers do that.

I'd suggest separating your finances somehow, such that after joint or necessary expenses you each have "x" amount of money to spend (and it should be equal). If he chooses to spend his on booze and you choose to spend yours on whatever, that's your individual choice.

Of course, you can also be sick of the whole deal--that he's not working and you income is supporting his habit. Divorce or separation are options, too.
This is exactly where my guilt comes from. If it were the other way around. I feel like a complete ass. We have tried different things before. That's why I have an account with just my name. I just don't know what to do anymore and feel completely helpless!
Old 03-31-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A little financial history He hasn't​ had a stable job our entire marriage. He would go months between jobs and only get a new one when electric was cut off, child support not paid, etc. My job alone couldn't take care of EVERYTHING. That would be ok for a while until his drinking or a health problem got in the way. Then the cycle would start over. We were about to lose our house (one I bought before we were married) my car, etc because he wasn't working and we got so far behind. I took a job making a lot more money and the opportunity to see the country. It was a job I had always wanted. We sold our house and everything we had to make it happen. We made a deal that we would do this together, he would get odd jobs and such everywhere we go. And he did halfass for a little while. But nothing the last few months. We move every 3 to 4 months. As I type this I think who in their right mind would continue this. Wth is wrong with me??
Old 03-31-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have three options:

1. Let him use the bank cards and spend the money that you earn on beer.
2. Give him an "allowance" that he can spend on beer if he wants.
3. Tell him to get a job if he wants to spend money on beer, you're done with paying for his habit.
4. Separate/divorce. His drinking is his problem.

I think that in the short term #2 is the easiest, even thought it's a bit infantilizing to give a grown adult an "allowance". However, if he isn't bringing any money in, that's how it's going to be. In the long run, either #3 or #4 will probably bring you some peace.

I am still new to this recovery stuff, but one thing I've observed is that every single alcoholic thinks that any person who disapproves of their drinking or tries to influence them to stop or reduce their consumption is a controlling b*tch. Certainly my ex would describe me that way, and your husband probably thinks that about you. But you aren't being controlling, you're being self-protective and making the best choices you can in a very challenging situation where there are no "good" options. He's the one who's screwing up, not you.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So now what? There's only a few things that can happen now.
1)we argue, I feel guilty and give his cards back and this continues.
2)we argue, I hold my ground, he gets angry and leaves me.
The thought of either scenario is equally terrifying.
3) he decides to get help (I KNOW in my heart that wont happen)
Old 03-31-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I would never again open a joint account with an alcoholic. After all, there's nothing to legally prevent him from cleaning out the account, or running up a huge balance on a joint credit card (or one in your name where you've made him an authorized user).

How money is handled is generally a personal decision that couples reach jointly, and it's ideally based on trust that both people will behave responsibly.

I left my second husband (who had gone back to drinking after almost dying from an alcohol-related medical condition) after he had lost his job, was doing nothing to find another (and refusing to apply for what he considered "doofus jobs"), while I was trying to find a SECOND job to support us, and he then signed a new lease on the house we were renting after I had explicitly told him not to, as we could not afford it. He was spending his "own" money (he was still receiving disability payments from his illness) on his booze habit. I told him that's it, I'm moving out, here's one month's rent and after that you're on your own.

It was a huge relief--the resentment was eating me up. He wound up finding a tiny efficiency. I eventually moved back across the country, getting my old (well-paid) job back, and after some lean years am now prospering financially. I have no idea how he's living (or how he's even still alive), but it's not my concern.

But I'd shut down any joint credit cards. The one thing worse than having him spend money you've earned on booze is having to pay interest on it.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

MrsDarling.....here is my suggested answer to your question of "So, now what?
Begin going to alanon for your own support
Continue reading here, and posting. Especially read "Co-dependent No More" and the stickies on the front page above the threads...especially the one called "Classic Reading".....
This will prepare you for any eventuality that will happen.....
Old 03-31-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
MrsDarling.....here is my suggested answer to your question of "So, now what?
Begin going to alanon for your own support
Continue reading here, and posting. Especially read "Co-dependent No More" and the stickies on the front page above the threads...especially the one called "Classic Reading".....
This will prepare you for any eventuality that will happen.....
Just joining this site and posting is more than I have done in the past. I have been reading and posting, but I'm afraid I'm more confused than previously if that's possible. But I will continue to read!! I have also looked up alanon meetings in this area. I will go if I can find one that meets when I'm not working!!