Notices

H.a.l.t.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

H.a.l.t.

This is what I'm trying to keep in mind when the cravings and thoughts of drinking come. Tonight when I got home from work, I was all 4! Mostly hungry, angry (irritable), and tired. I have this written at the top of my journal to keep drilling it into my head. Now that I'm home, rested a bit, and got dinner out of the way, I really don't want a drink at all. I just want to have a relaxing evening, get to bed early and wake up feeling good in the morning! Just wanted to share in case this may help someone else too.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
This is what I'm trying to keep in mind when the cravings and thoughts of drinking come. Tonight when I got home from work, I was all 4!
I have found that it really helps to keep track of those HALT signs.
Brings them to the minds eye when we are falling short.
Too much falling might lead us to the drink.
Keep up the good work.
Tools such as these are invaluable.
Good luck,
M-Bob
Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

great idea to share bronzie

D
Old 03-29-2017, 09:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is always a good reminder! Thank you
Old 03-30-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HALT signs are critical for me for my mental health. Nothing can precipitate a nasty mental/emotional meltdown like having 2 or more HALT factors.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The steps I've learned to take that have been helpful to me in preventing:

hunger - a small but sustaining snack before the critical time, making sure I eat really well most of the time, and keeping hydrated;

anger - breathing, meditation; I'm a placid kind of person so anger is rarely an issue for me;

loneliness - communication in some form, whether in real life - even a smile and a brief exchange with the grocery checkout operator - or via internet, listening to talkback radio, SR, emails, reading, listening to affirmations on YT; dispelling gloom with lighthearted movies & tv;

tiredness - relaxation techniques, rest, good sleep habits, knowing when to stop overdoing things.

Take care, all
Old 03-30-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just arrived in florida for vacation. Day 1 and a 10 hour ordeal getting here (with 3 kids)... i was Hungry, Angry(ish), and def tired. I started having thoughts but instead; took a shower, ate a snack and am now taking a little timeout in bed to rekax. So glad i didnt blow it. That was scary.
HALT to the rescue.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

T is the big one that upsets my calm.

I also have six things I do every morning- I write them down in my day planner for each day and cross them off (mind you, I have been doing exactly this since last June when I started working with my first sponsor who drilled routine into my head- today is 402 days sober). HALT is one of them; I like to ask it each morning as a guage of how I feel waking up (still tired? starving or too fulll from the night before? restless and irritable from bad sleep? whatever).....I make little notes or circle one that sticks out, if one does. Helps me tweak my barometer for the day!