Notices

Hunger...

Old 03-29-2017, 02:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hunger...

How have you dealt with hunger when not drinking anymore? Did you follow some diet plan or did you just cut yourself loose.

I have more of a aud than an addiction and atm I don't want to grab a drink, but I feel like my body just wants something. I eat a meal and I feel like I want something more. I definitely don't want to gain any weight right now.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am eating more of the wrong things such as chocolate and crisps since giving up alcohol but I am just letting myself have them for the time being to keep me going. I can cut those down in a week or so once I'm used to being sober. I don't want to restrict myself over too many things at once XXXX
Old 03-29-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

H Jasmin, did anybody say chocolate ice cream??? That was my go to in the early days. There are entire threads here devoted to it.

In the beginning our bodies tend to crave a lot of sugar as a replacement. Outside of making yourself sick from eating too much allow yourself to have what you want. Be careful though because it catches up to you quick!

The best replacement I've found is to buy green or red seedless grapes and freeze them.

I don't know how long you've been sober but in the very beginning if you crave something to eat, eat it. There's going to be plenty of time to regroup.

You're going to get a lot of replies too with other alternatives.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pretty much what Lady Blue said.

I wasn't a sugar fiend til I quit drinking. Still am, though I did finally cut out the ice cream for Lent - I am 401 days sober today and it had gotten to be a BIG problem. Other than the sugar, I eat very healthfully (lots of fruits and vegs, almost always lean protein though I love chicken fingers, etc) and lots of water and other bevs. I also got active (running) around 4 mo sober.

My first year was a process back to good health, and it continued to improve. I fully accepted that there would be ups and downs given my history of extreme alcoholism. Listening to my body about hunger (or not), fatigue, etc has been key.

Take care of yourself- and, yeah, cut yourself some slack.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi....

I found this article and website yesterday
which gave me something to think about
when I get hungry anytime.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...M_FB_Nutrition
Old 03-29-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks aasharon90, its a nice article!

Its a weird feeling. I don't crave for alcohol, but i have been really hungry the past 2 days. I just quit drinking, only on day 3. I have had periods with no alcohol before, but they were just promises I made, so I was counting on days when I could drink again, not the sober days. I did something stupid, I always thought I had very good control over myself when drunk, but this time I have been quite dissapointed in myself, so I decided its time. So yeah, I have no cravings to alcohol, but I feel constantly hungry. I don't think its a matter of how complete my diet is, but rather that my body is used to getting alcohol daily.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Weird food cravings popped up for me, but my diet is fairly strict and even was while I was drinking (laughable, I know). I craved stuff I normally don't eat and just gave myself freedom for a few weeks to let body heal with fruit, veggies, and lean meats...continued with no boxed/processed stuff.

I find that if I have a craving I drink an 8 oz glass of water and give it ten minutes and assess if the craving is still there. Mine were found to be mostly dehydration issues.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was too skinny, a 55 year old skinny hungover person. I eat now, taste it and want more. But Want too much sweet stuff, Peanut Butter Puffin cereal please. So, I don't buy it.......most of the time.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I definitely crave sugar more when I'm not actively drinking. Today I had a craving for a regular Coca Cola, and I allowed myself to have it after I got off work. I went thru H.A.L.T. And realized I was definitely feeling hungry and tired. Once I got home, I made some regular food for dinner (buffalo and potato) and felt much better after eating and resting a while. But the soda did tie me over and I felt it was a small victory because I didn't buy any booze at the store. Don't be too hard on yourself in the beginning, just try to make healthy choices but don't restrict yourself completely.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by halfalife View Post
I find that if I have a craving I drink an 8 oz glass of water and give it ten minutes and assess if the craving is still there. Mine were found to be mostly dehydration issues.
This is a very good suggestion. I keep bottled water everywhere, but I never think of it when I'm craving sugar or snacks. I'm gonna try this, thanks!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I developed a HUGE sugar craving after quitting drinking. Buy cookies, cakes, chocolate, ice cream.

I even starting BAKING cookies, cakes...

Led to a severe case of hypoglycemia.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

August is right on the money - listen to your body and it's cues. If you're hungry, eat; angry, talk about it and work through it; lonely, seek people out that are good for you; tired, sleep.

Definitely stay hydrated - also I've learned that eating sweets early in recovery is totally normal. Alcohol is sugar heavy, so your body will be craving it for a time. I normally drink water and flavored seltzer, but I find my sweets craving eased by a Gatorade/powerade, and I do love ice cream. 11 days sober and my taste buds are a bit more useful now than they were.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by columbus View Post
I developed a HUGE sugar craving after quitting drinking. Buy cookies, cakes, chocolate, ice cream.

I even starting BAKING cookies, cakes...

Led to a severe case of hypoglycemia.
Thank you. I got a warning last year that I'm presently ignoring, thinking the loss of all that white wine meant I can eat too much now. I was skinny now thicker and likely heading to hypoglycemia. You have motivated me, not to totally abstain from good food because I don't need to, but drop the sugar, the need for that fix.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

pretty sure I have hypoglycaemia. if I don't eat all the time I crash hard.
get anxiety, shakes, irritable, light headed. it takes a lot to try and stay in control.

I'm 7 months sober nearly. does this fade or is there others that went through it with any advice to come out the other side?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sea, sounds like pretty intense reactions. I'd check it out with the Dr. As you don't want to mess with blood sugar. I will get mine checked next week in your honor, we can try to make changes together. I'm at almost 9 months sober after drinking LOTS of white wine, now it's sugar got ahold........hopefully easier to shake as a habit.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Ice cream! I normally avoid sugar and eat mostly unprocessed foods, but when I stopped drinking, whenever I really wanted something (like a drink), I'd let myself indulge in a bowl of ice cream. That helped a lot and it levelled out at about 3 months or so, when I didn't feel the need to do that anymore.

(I used to get frequent blood sugar crashes until I changed my diet to less starchy carbohydrate and now it almost never happens.)
Old 03-31-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My go to was / is crunchy things. Apples, grapes, carrots, celery, etc... Fruit will satisfy your sugar craving without impacting your DRA of 34 grams of sugar. Try to eat every 2-3 hours, that three meal a day science is so old the world was still flat.

As far as the shakes and other stuff go (and I don't mean shakes during the first month, that's withdrawal) that usually is a result of unregulated blood sugar. Read up on having oatmeal for breakfast. It is great for lowering cholesterol and keeping your sugar stable. But I am just an amateur nutrition and exercise nut. It couldn't hurt to have some blood work done by your physician.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I like frozen fruits. It's not ice cream but they are a good substitute. Lots of veggies too. Just keep them cut up in the frig and also keep a salad already made for cravings. That's what always kept me from going directly to the bad stuff.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I did not deprive myself of any food early on. I also found that food tasted better after some sober time. I also enjoy much more kinds of foods. Its great actually.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

Originally Posted by Mklove View Post
Sea, sounds like pretty intense reactions. I'd check it out with the Dr. As you don't want to mess with blood sugar. I will get mine checked next week in your honor, we can try to make changes together. I'm at almost 9 months sober after drinking LOTS of white wine, now it's sugar got ahold........hopefully easier to shake as a habit.
I have had blood works done and only came back with slight deficiency with Vit D.

tbh I think its sugar withdrawals that I'm going through when it happens. think ive become highly sensitive to anything that affect those neurotransmitters I put out of wack with the drink.

I don't really want to but I might have to consider going Paleo or something. Cut out the sugar and try to grin and bare a week or two of the prangs