Notices

At work....

Old 03-28-2017, 11:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

At work....

Here I am at the ER Security post....the usual suspects being seen - overdoses (take your pick substance-wise, we got 'em all), a couple of MVCs and the usual garden variety stuff.

Something that has irritated me to no end, and if you're in the medical profession, especially in the ER, or EMS, you know what I mean. N-A-R-C-A-N is doing more to encourage overdoses than the most potent/pure substance. Addicts, especially in the younger set, know that EMS will Narcan them and bring them out of it, so they risk a bigger and better high each time.

Many of the addicts we get anymore have no interest in quitting, and tell the crisis counselor so. They just want to be discharged to be on their way to the next fix. Many of them have friends who have taken the Narcan administration course at the local Health Department, so they know help is only a phone call away if they don't want to call EMS.

They work the system, they know the magic words, and our hands are tied.

Okay, I'm done - thanks for letting me vent.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yip. Alcoholics and addicts are infinitely resourceful when it comes to sustaining their addictions.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been a EMT-P for many years. Narcan (Naloxone) doesn't encourage overdose. I drank to oblivion most of the time. I probably got alcohol poisoning a few times and would have OD'd if I drank hard alcohol. My intention wasn't to be that way, every time I opened the first beer I hoped I could just get a good drunk and control it. I controlled it once in a blue moon. I believe that addiction whatever your DOC is basically the same. So I believe that I would have drank exactly the same if there was such a drug like narcan for alcohol. And conversely, non-addicts don't try to act like addicts because there is some sort of antidote.

Addicts don't or won't try to stop until they are ready. We all have a breaking point that makes us want to change our behavior. For some unfortunately that is death. Others could be the thought of losing something and most of us was when our body shutting down told us enough is enough.

I personally pray for every addict (no matter the DOC) that I treat or deal with. I do my best to show compassion and understanding. My drinking could have put me in their shoes. Anyway, thanks for reading my rant. I am done with my $.02.

Good luck and many prayers
Old 03-29-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

On the other hand, if Narcan saves someones life and gets them to the point of wanting recovery, that's a good thing, yeah?

I spend a fair amount of time in ERs too. I always think, without my lucky breaks, that could be me.

D
Old 03-29-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good feedback - we have actually had several ODs tell the RN that they took such a risk because they knew Narcan would save the day. Of course they are not ready to quit, and in this depressed area, we see more than our share of body bags from the epidemic.

Dee - that's the problem; many of them get their life saved, only to shoot/snort again....this addiction epidemic, at least in our area, has had few, if any, happy endings with recovery. We have no treatment facility to speak of, unless you count the methadone clinic.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well have to agree to disagree on this one GG.

Dead folks can't recover...but live ones have the same chance you I and everyone else here has

While there's life, there's hope,. IMO.

D
Old 03-29-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh I totally agree that while alive there is still hope - we are all testament to that; it's just that so many that we see don't seem to care. There's no remorse, not even lip service to wanting treatment. They just want back out on the streets.