Notices

Feeling hopeless

Old 03-28-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling hopeless

I'm 29 and believe I've hit rock bottom. My story is sad but all my doing. In 2013 I got my first dui and thought that was my bottom but while on probation I was still drinking and putting my life back together. I just recently got 2 duis one of which I'm still dealing with. I feel like there is no end in sight. I'm on probation again and I lost my job because I was in jail for two days too long. I can't afford the fees that come with the charge and my pre-existing bills are all due at once. I don't even know the outcome of the other dui yet. I'm so depressed and I feel like there is no hope for my future. Please, I'm here for some hope, some kind of reassurance that if I put forge the effort this time, I mean seriously apply myself then it will all work out?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this and you've come to the right place. SR is a great support system. I work in the legal system. Have you spoken to an attorney regarding your fees? You can always apply for a public defender if you cannot afford a private attorney.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Every day is a new opportunity to quit drinking for good and change your life for the better. SR is a great resource for helping you on your way to a new and better life. Welcome and good luck.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey needsome,
I'm really sorry your going through so much my friend. I know from first hand experience that with sobriety the little things in life go right. That leads to the bigger things going right. You can work out of your problems as many people have. It all starts with sobriety though. It's changed my life at every level.

I'm only nine months sober but my life is so much better. It can get better for you but you have to be sober.

Read everything you can here. You will find plenty of support and keep posting. Have you thought about AA or something similar?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is hope and it can get better for you and me and everyone. My life was utter hell. One most would read about in Read's Dig. My life is getting better.
It will for you too- if you stop drinking and do stuff.
Support to you.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

dunno
Originally Posted by Eastcoaster20 View Post
You can do this and you've come to the right place. SR is a great support system. I work in the legal system. Have you spoken to an attorney regarding your fees? You can always apply for a public defender if you cannot afford a private attorney.
Thank you Eastcoaster20. I hired an attorney for the second dui but I don't have the funds for another one. The fees are state mandated. It's just all so overwhelming.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
Every day is a new opportunity to quit drinking for good and change your life for the better. SR is a great resource for helping you on your way to a new and better life. Welcome and good luck.
Thank you GroundhogDay, I am working on this day by day.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
Hey needsome,
I'm really sorry your going through so much my friend. I know from first hand experience that with sobriety the little things in life go right. That leads to the bigger things going right. You can work out of your problems as many people have. It all starts with sobriety though. It's changed my life at every level.

I'm only nine months sober but my life is so much better. It can get better for you but you have to be sober.

Read everything you can here. You will find plenty of support and keep posting. Have you thought about AA or something similar?
Thank you Matt, I have allowed alcohol to get me in this position and I allowed myself to indulge in a substance that I knew I couldn't control. I have tried AA but did not work it as I should because of denial. Now I see I was wrong.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Your job and legal troubles are a symptom of the bigger issue. Take care of that bigger issue and these other troubles will stop raining down on you.

Welcome to the Fight of Your Life.

You can do this.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Your job and legal troubles are a symptom of the bigger issue. Take care of that bigger issue and these other troubles will stop raining down on you.

Welcome to the Fight of Your Life.

You can do this.
You are absolutely right Nonsensical.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi needsome...

I too have 2 dui's (one guilty, the other was a continuance without a finding)...it sucks! The amount of money spent, embarrassment and humiliation was more than I thought I could bare.

I was in the middle of a divorce when I was stopped the first time. I thought, how can my life get any worse? Managed to get through the dui, but continued to drink. Even though I swore that I would never drink and drive again, I soon forgot the promise I made to myself. Remarried, just bought a new car, out to celebrate and BAM! #DUI2. Did I stop drinking? Nope! More consequences, more despair, more feeling like a

This is a wake-up call for you. While I know it feels like the end of the world right now, it could be the beginning of a fresh start, new life, one with hope and freedom from fear. Things could be a lot worse. What if someone was killed? What if you were killed? You certainly wouldn't be here to write about it. My sister wasn't so lucky. She wasn't given the opportunity to "get it right". At 17 she totaled my parents car during a night out, fueled with booze. It destroyed my family.

Like you, I was lucky, no one was hurt and I'm still here to write about it. One might think that I would have put the bottle down after my FIRST dui, especially considering the fact that at a very young age (before I even began to drink) I experienced negative consequences due to alcohol. Instead, I continued to drink and again, another dui, more bad consequences...

Coming to SR and posting was a smart choice. There's a plethora of knowledge and support here. You are young, you have a lifetime ahead of you. The question I asked myself before I finally gave up and admitted that I had no control over alcohol was... What am I willing to do to stop making bad decisions that will result in more negative consequences, steal more time away from me, no sense of pride or happiness?... Haven't I had enough already?

Sorry for the spew, I don't mean to sound like a preacher... The bottom line is life is short, don't waste years like I did. Hang in there, move through what needs to be done in order to dig yourself out, and most importantly...LEARN!
Old 03-29-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi needsomedirection

Things can only get better if you quit drinking - doing that, and joining this community, gave me my hope back

D
Old 03-29-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry things are really difficult for you right now. But, I feel quite sure your life will improve if you stop drinking. I know it seems overwhelming, but try to make a plan and deal with a few things each day. Push forward. You can get through this.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One question and I by no means intend it to be insensitive to your situation.

How will having a drink possibly help your dilemma?

If you can't answer that with a positive then you have your answer.

It is true that you have some hurdles ahead of you. They are not insurmountable but they are pretty darn inconvenient. Make the effort to honestly resolve the alcohol issue.

Lying to yourself about booze is like cheating on your golf score when you're playing alone.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can do this....no matter what happens, do not take a drink...no matter what...
Old 03-30-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your encouraging words.