Notices

Newcomers, Returning Friends & Guests

Old 03-28-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Newcomers, Returning Friends & Guests

Good Afternoon SR, Newcomers, Returning Friends & of course our Guests.

The amount of punishment i inflicted on my mind, body & ultimately my soul when I was drinking was unreal and I hope this helps someone.

It was bad... & in the end hospital visits became the norm. At the time I'm not even sure I identified as alcoholic or having a drink problem which only excerbated things further.

Identifying as an alcoholic or someone who had a drink problem saved my life it's one of the main reasons I'm still sober. Once I knew, I realised I wasn't lost but I was broken from all the self inflicted punishment and I needed help (which I sought out)

It wasn't overnight and I still had cravings at 5 months but with time & understanding they went away.

Understanding that I had a problem with drink and realising I was alcoholic stopped me going back to drinking it wasn't worth it, I was walking around in circles drunk I wasn't going to do that sober so that meant no matter what no more drinking - In the first 5 months I had nights where there was nothing else on my mind but getting wasted but I held on & I started looking at ways to improve my life, the cravings seemed like they were going to last forever ... BUT THEY DO GO AWAY THAT I CAN PROMISE YOU.

So if your returning or your a newcomer or just a guest and you think you might have a drink problem please take something from this.

There will be hard days when throwing in the towel seems like an easy option but all your really doing is getting hurt & wasted.

I can't ever see myself drinking again no matter what happens and it's because I freed myself from my self imposed torture that I see things so different now - I want to help through my own experience & I will but ultimately only you can do this.

Stay sober for you, if your struggling let SR know it's why thier here.

If your still drinking & don't want to drink then know were here when your ready as only you can do this.

Sorry if this post seems jumbled or anything I just wanted to put this out there.

In this together

SW
Old 03-28-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am newly sober. From reading on this site (It's great by the way) it acknowledges that I am not alone. That's the hardest part (for me) about sobriety. The sense of isolation and in my daily world nobody has a frame of reference. It would be like a woman describing giving birth to me. I would understand the words but just not get it.

I think I have a lot in common with many here. I didn't pick up a drink one day and BAMM that was it, I was hooked. No alcohol for me was like the evil ring in the Tolkien novels. Over time it evolved and then took over.

I started drinking right after puberty on rare occasions. Then in high school it was the occasional party most weekends. Then military and college it was weekends. On to career where it became Friday happy hour with co-workers and Saturday night out. Don't forget about Sunday football.

This again over 20 years evolved from party animal to daily drinker (just a couple when I get home from work, harmless right?), to day drinker, to morning drinker just so I could keep water and toast down.

I realized I had a problem and decided to quit cold turkey. At this point I'm drinking a pint of bourbon and a 12 pack per day. On the third day I was in the ER, blood pressure in the stroke range (194/135), severely dehydrated, and ZERO magnesium and potassium in my blood. That was two years ago January. I stopped drinking for 2 months and then decided (In my arrogant wisdom) that I could moderate. That lasted about four months and then I was back at it again. In early December I decided enough is enough and decided to quit. I did not set a date but started tapering down day by day until I got to 3 drinks per day. Then on December 14, 2016 I took my last drink. The next 3 days were among the worst in my life but since I didn't quit cold turkey and knew what to expect I got through it (I had some medical help also). I don't think I would recommend this to anyone else. Seek professional help, it may seem embarrassing but trust me these people see it everyday. It's their Job...

I must have taken a drinking sabbatical a dozen times, even once for a month to give myself a "check" over the years. So I thought no problem.

"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose."

I am now seeing things in a different light, I am back to being the exercise enthusiast that I've been (or tried to be when I wasn't killing myself with booze) for 30 years. Thinking clearly and my relationship with my family is on a level I've never felt. Alcohol is a selfish spouse and I'm glad I filed divorce papers.

If this message resonates with one other person the way Soberwolf's did with me then it was worth it. If nothing else finally spilling my guts is a huge burden off my soul.

I am at day 103 today. If I had a drink today I would be back at zero. Zero Sucks!!! I think I'll take my dog for a walk instead.

Alan6154
Old 03-28-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Alan
Old 03-28-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

2 great posts Soberwolf and Alan.

I concur as I was still getting cravings at 5 months, not everyday like in the beginning thank goodness.

Acknowledgement of the problem and seeking help go hand in hand.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good post soberwolf. You to Allen
Old 03-28-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am at day 103 today. If I had a drink today I would be back at zero. Zero Sucks!!! I think I'll take my dog for a walk instead.

Alan6154[/QUOTE] i love your words. Thank you. I am on day 2 so its its been great reading
Old 03-29-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks everyone
Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Soberwolf and Aaron,

Thanks for the great posts! I am at the point that I wish the cravings would stop and also to the point that my A/V says " you did really good stopping this time, maybe you can moderate now" Even though I know that is utter bullcrap, your posts helped!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fantastic posts guys! Thank you both!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Bumping this for Newcomers Returning Friends & Guests - in this together
Old 04-04-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Good Afternoon SR, Newcomers, Returning Friends & of course our Guests.

The amount of punishment i inflicted on my mind, body & ultimately my soul when I was drinking was unreal and I hope this helps someone.

It was bad... & in the end hospital visits became the norm. At the time I'm not even sure I identified as alcoholic or having a drink problem which only excerbated things further.

Identifying as an alcoholic or someone who had a drink problem saved my life it's one of the main reasons I'm still sober. Once I knew, I realised I wasn't lost but I was broken from all the self inflicted punishment and I needed help (which I sought out)

It wasn't overnight and I still had cravings at 5 months but with time & understanding they went away.

Understanding that I had a problem with drink and realising I was alcoholic stopped me going back to drinking it wasn't worth it, I was walking around in circles drunk I wasn't going to do that sober so that meant no matter what no more drinking - In the first 5 months I had nights where there was nothing else on my mind but getting wasted but I held on & I started looking at ways to improve my life, the cravings seemed like they were going to last forever ... BUT THEY DO GO AWAY THAT I CAN PROMISE YOU.

So if your returning or your a newcomer or just a guest and you think you might have a drink problem please take something from this.

There will be hard days when throwing in the towel seems like an easy option but all your really doing is getting hurt & wasted.

I can't ever see myself drinking again no matter what happens and it's because I freed myself from my self imposed torture that I see things so different now - I want to help through my own experience & I will but ultimately only you can do this.

Stay sober for you, if your struggling let SR know it's why thier here.

If your still drinking & don't want to drink then know were here when your ready as only you can do this.

Sorry if this post seems jumbled or anything I just wanted to put this out there.

In this together

SW
The punishment on the physical body is particularly bad. And the worst part?? When we are in the thick of it, when we are drinking, we DON'T even notice the harm we are doing! When you are drunk/buzzed, you are "blind" to those minor aches and pains, those extra pounds here and there, those early warning signs, etc.

Personally I went from like 210 lbs in 2012 all the way to almost 270 lbs by 2014. What makes it so INSIDIOUS is that you don't even "notice" your health declining, it's so subtle and gradual that it basically "happens right under your nose" - it slips right under your radar and you don't even realize it due to your being drunk or hungover all the time.

I still have the visible stretch marks on either side of my abdomen to "prove" it....
Old 04-04-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing, Soberwolf, and always offering your support. It gives me hope and especially knowing the cravings DO and WILL go away. Just don't drink, no matter what.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's it Bronzie

Thanks Grubby
Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the posts. It is amazing and beautiful to read others' accounts of their inner spiritual journey - to quit drinking and learn to be comfortable and happy in their "right" mind.

Inspires me for sure!
Old 12-22-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Bump thread
Old 12-22-2018, 10:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the bump Soberwolf, great read!
Old 12-22-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Thank you for bumping that excellent post Wolfie. It's so good to see an old friend here ****{hugs******
I have not posted much this past year but still sober and like you, I cannot even see myself drinking ever again.

Happy Holidays everyone
Old 12-22-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks sobereolf. I’m returning for good and this helps.